How do you Remove Center Console to fix Cup Holder?

PAJettaTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 Spd
I have a 2015 NMS Passat Manual and need to make a repair to one of the cup holders. Someone on my family pushed on one of the spring loaded plastic cup retainers inside the slot to the point it came off and fell down inside the console.

Does anyone know how to minimally remove enough of the center console or cup holder so that I might be able to find the part and reinstall it where it's supposed to go in the cup holder?

I see there are four tabs at the rear base of the console, two on each side supposedly covering torx screws, based on a diagram I saw in another forum post, but I'm not sure if there is more to remove than these four screws. I want to know how involved this is before I dive in - hoping to avoid a trip to the dealer for something like this.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I dont remember having to remove any screws to take out the piece that you need to remove...

I took down all of my pictures when Photobucket decided to charge for their "service" so I have to go off of memory....

If I rememver correctly, it is as simple as putting some fingers in the slot where the bottom of the parking break boot is and pulling up a little bit.

Then hook your fingers under the front edge of the center console trim and pull up. The whole piece should come up enough for you to fix your cup holder

PAJettaTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 Spd
Thanks! So the 4 hidden screws definitely need removed in the rear? I'm hoping I don't have to mess with the manual shifter at all and like you said maybe it'll move just enough to do what I need to do.

Also, do you recall having to remove any trim pieces on the top surface, or anything inside the small front storage flip door (behind the gear shift)? I'll have a go at this early next week after the holidays most likely.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
No no no...

As I said earlier... you dont need to remove any screws.

Just this trim piece:

That is done by just pulling the trim piece up. The cup holder is part of this trim piece. It is not part of the center console. Therefore you do not need to remove the center console.

PAJettaTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 Spd
Thanks for taking the time to post that picture and for the explanation! I got mine removed and cup holder fixed.

The space along side the e-brake cutout didn't seem to be lifting the trim, and I was worried I might break something. I took a rubber jar opener and pulled up on the divider between the small rear tray and the rear cup holder. It popped right up.

Then I gently pulled up at the front of the trim piece just below the little compartment door. It came up easily and I put the plastic piece back into the cup holder slot.

Your help was much appreciated!

snickers_163

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
No no no...

As I said earlier... you dont need to remove any screws.

Just this trim piece:

That is done by just pulling the trim piece up. The cup holder is part of this trim piece. It is not part of the center console. Therefore you do not need to remove the center console.
Thanks for posting this - helped me out a ton in my 2013 Passat after my daughter pushed the clip in tonight.