Subaru Forrester Boxer Diesel for US ~ coming or delayed?

Melensdad

Rural N.W. Indiana, on the edge of the Lake Michig
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, red w/Thunderbunny kit
I'd personally love to have a VW Tiguan TDI but that doesn't seem to likely for the US market. So another compact utility vehicle that has a possibility of coming to the US market has been the Subaru Forrester with its boxer configuration diesel engine. It was 'confirmed' but now seems to be delayed for US market. Or is it just a news black out and not a delay?

Anyone have any insight on any brand of economical compact utility vehicle that is actually coming to the US market for sometime in 2010 or 2011?

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Melensdad said:
I'd personally love to have a VW Tiguan TDI but that doesn't seem to likely for the US market. So another compact utility vehicle that has a possibility of coming to the US market has been the Subaru Forrester with its boxer configuration diesel engine. It was 'confirmed' but now seems to be delayed for US market. Or is it just a news black out and not a delay?

Anyone have any insight on any brand of economical compact utility vehicle that is actually coming to the US market for sometime in 2010 or 2011?
I've got the same question. All the Forrester information availible says the diesel should be getting here sometime in 2010. All the information is kind of old. Subaru's website would lead me to believe it won't happen this year, since they don't even mention it.

My first guess is that it it because of the transmission. I read recently that Subaru has no intention of making an automatic transmission to handle the high torque. If they were coming to the US, that would have been their first priority, IMO.

White Crow

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 gls tdi
Shelved. No future plans yet. In my opinion that’s a good thing Subaru has not had much luck with new engine designs maybe after the 2nd or 3rd revision they might get it right.

White Crow

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 gls tdi
Cracked 80s/90s cylinder heads blown head gaskets on late model ones just a few little problems. Sorry not too much of a Subaru fan take it for what it's worth just my opinion.

TDI
Bora 150 sport TDi
Subaru rate very highly in the UK for reliability and owner satisfaction they topped the stats for years.
One of the guys I know has a Forester Diesel and thinks its a fantastic car.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I've owned 2 Subarus that I had no misgivings about passing on to family members- maintainance is pretty low. Recently the '00 had a headgasket failure at 138k. The revised gaskets are supposed to be better.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
If I were Subaru and had screwed up a diesel engine design, I would quietly and politely ask VW to share their engine with me. Both companies could win, if they weren't full of ego and competition.

masterflex164

Veteran Member
TDI
It seems to me that Subaru doesn't have the balls (i.e $$$) to certify it for the US market and develop an auto transmission for it. Even with Toyota's deep pockets, i'm wondering why they still haven't... If VW, Audi, BMW, Merc can do it, there's NO reason Subie can't. One up Nissan, Honda, Toyota by bringing diesels to the market. Honda and Nissan chickened out b/c the cost of an auto tranny for the diesel would have cost a fortune.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Subaru diesel is not coming. Discussed ad nauseum in previous threads.

Subaru diesel does not meet emissions for NA w/o SCR. They are not adding SCR until it is needed to meet Euro emissions.

catmandoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta gls tdi,91 2dr jetta gl n/a diesel
heck with the slushbox.there is no way i would buy a new car with an automatic trans.

Oblio13

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat
Oberkanone said:
Subaru diesel is not coming. Discussed ad nauseum in previous threads.

Subaru diesel does not meet emissions for NA w/o SCR. They are not adding SCR until it is needed to meet Euro emissions.
What he said. Neither the catalyst nor the converter lasts forever, replacement is expensive, and the marketing guys don't think the maintenance costs would be conducive to customer satisfaction. They're probably right.