MkV / MkVI Bluetooth FAQ (Updated 12/30/2010)

John and the GTi

TDI
United Gray Metalic Golf, 4 Door, DSG, Xenons, Sunroof, Dynaudio, etc
FYI, my dealer parts department told me the 9W3 is available, but costs more than the 9W7. If you want a 9W7 FOR SURE, you have a couple of options. 1) Buy one before the 12th of Jan. '12, and submit the sales recpt. for reimbursement. If the settlement fails to go through, you still have a 9W7. 2) Opt out of the class action and bring suit against VWOA individually, and win.

I showed the parts manager all the paperwork, and he said his guess is they will install 9W7's, but nothing is sure at this point.

digitalextremes

TDI
2k10 Jetta Sedan
Get the 9w7

It probably cost more because the 9w3 is made of metal and uses a metal plate for mounting under the seat with screws, speed nuts and a plastic cover vs just styrofoam for 9w7 but in terms of functionality 9w7 is far superior

ddhd

TDI
2013 Jetta TDi 6spd
Is there a list of cell phones that work better or best with the 9w3 and 9w7 units. I'm due for a new cell.

digitalextremes

TDI
2k10 Jetta Sedan
That's like asking if there is a list of phones that work best with Bluetooth headset xyz, it doesn't exist. Any latest phone that has Bluetooth should work well. IPhone works well with calls, phone book acess, voice dialing, streaming and iPod connection (those are the things you need to make sure work) I am sure blackberry works too and android phones, don't know about others

andythebod

TDI
2010 Jetta 6 speed Manual
I bought a 2010 TDI Jetta that had the phone display in the MFI screen with voice command, then the blue tooth radio died and with it under warranty they replaced the BT radio, now i dont have the MFI display or the voice command, the service rep said that is how it is supposed to be, sometimes I get so mad!

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
It sounds like they might have replaced a 9W3 or 9W7 module with a 9W2.

digitalextremes

TDI
2k10 Jetta Sedan
I bought a 2010 TDI Jetta that had the phone display in the MFI screen with voice command, then the blue tooth radio died and with it under warranty they replaced the BT radio, now i dont have the MFI display or the voice command, the service rep said that is how it is supposed to be, sometimes I get so mad!
It's just not enabled by default by the dealer, can be done one 1 min using VCDS. I am sure they replaced with same part, check your workorder, it has the part number and post here

andythebod

TDI
Still waiting for an answer.

I just called the dealer again and no one seems to know what is going on, I did not get any documentation regarding the last service so I am clueless as to what module they installed, it irritates me when they think that I am free to just drop off the car as this is my daily driver, last time they set up a rental car for me and it was a ford fusion 21 miles per gallon I nearly had a stroke when i had to fill it back up!

Ok enough ranting! the whole concept of owning a diesel is to save money and the plan is that i do all of the service work on it from now on, save for the timing belt.

They have not done anything to endear me to them! I know some good mechanics who would benefit from me using them instead of a cash generating mill for the owner of that dealership.

Ah i feel better already! thanks TDI Club! I'm a proud member! Andy:)

andythebod

TDI
Well, I just got the car back and they changed the code! the technician said "its hard to get the current code when the module is dead" it only took 3 weeks for them to get there act together! they will never see that car again!

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
The settlement claim form asks me to "aver" that "I saw Volkswagen advertising and/or product literature regarding the Bluetooth Hands-Free Calling system..."

All the vehicle product sticker said was "Bluetooth® mobile phone connectivity". This is not the same wording as what I have to "aver" to.

I assumed that meant what was normal Bluetooth functionality on other vehicles at the time, namely, hands-free for both calling and receiving. I only found out about the limitations of the 9W2 after I took delivery when the salesman set up the connection for my mobile phone.

Does this qualifies me for an upgrade under the settlement?

jeffjeja

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Absolutely. It was a perfectly reasonable expectation that you could make calls hands-free given the way the feature was listed.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SE 2.5L Tip (gasser)
... I only found out about the limitations of the 9W2 after I took delivery when the salesman set up the connection for my mobile phone.

Does this qualifies me for an upgrade under the settlement?
Yes. Your claim must be filed by March 27th.

FYI...the settlement has been approved.

Last edited:

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
Yes, as stated by Mr. Timewise, according to the settlement website, the settlement was approved, with further details to come by the end of March.

Zor

TDI
2010 Jetta
I have a 2010 Jetta and I can't figure out how to get the BT audio to work. I have my phone synced and can make and recieve calls without problems. My phonebook and call history pop up on the dash and can be controlled from the steering wheel, so I believe my bluetooth to be working fine. However, I don't have any music functions. The bluetooth audio under my media settings has the checkmark in the box, but the button to select BT-Audio is dull grey all the time. I've tried playing music and pandora on my phone, but nothing comes up on the radio. Oh, and it's an iphone 4. I'm sorry if this has been addressed already.

Zor

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
I have a 2010 Jetta and I can't figure out how to get the BT audio to work. I have my phone synced and can make and recieve calls without problems. My phonebook and call history pop up on the dash and can be controlled from the steering wheel, so I believe my bluetooth to be working fine. However, I don't have any music functions. The bluetooth audio under my media settings has the checkmark in the box, but the button to select BT-Audio is dull grey all the time. I've tried playing music and pandora on my phone, but nothing comes up on the radio. Oh, and it's an iphone 4. I'm sorry if this has been addressed already.

Zor
I believe that only one of the updated bluetooth modules allows musis streaming, but I can't remember which. Either 9w3 or 9w7. Do you know what module you have?

Zor

TDI
2010 Jetta
I don't know what module I have. Is there a way I can find out? I do know that my touch screen has a "BT-Audio" button on the top right when media is selected. I don't know if that helps or not...

Zor

TDI
2010 Jetta
Look under the right front seat. Is there a black Styrofoam box Velcro'd to the carpeting (9W2), or is there a metal box screwed to a bracket (9W3)?
Metal box under a plastic cover. 9w3 I guess. Do I need to upgrade? What's that going to cost me?

Zor

ARDailey

TDI
2010 SportWagen TDi / 2017 GSW 4Motion
Justice for wheels rolls slowly...

"They" said additional details at the end of March. "They" did not mention a year.

Sure would be nice to hear something. :confused:

ARDailey

TDI
2010 SportWagen TDi / 2017 GSW 4Motion
60K Maintenance / No Bluetooth news

Got my 60K maintenance today. Looks like I am half way to a timing belt.

The rental car was rather late so Minuteman VW in Bedford, MA picked up the rental and turned my 10% coupon into a 15% coupon. They have no information on the bluetooth settlement.

firedwg1

Veteran Member
TDI
10 GSW, 12 Pass SEL, Tesla MS
OK I have to ask, has anyone heard anything back after submitting their claim?

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
No. The website that provides information stated that details would be available end of March. It hasn't been updated since....

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
From a conversation I had with some of the principals involved, they suggest it would be later this summer when we'll receive the refund or be contacted about the bringing the car to a dealer for the upgrade.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
As of May 24, 2012, some people have received their refund. Other people have received a letter asking for more paperwork to clarify what was purchased for the install.

In a telephone conversation with an administrator of the settlement, I found that the reason some people have not yet received a refund was because the sales receipt submitted for the claim had VW's actual part number (7P6-035-730-C) as the item sold, not the "9W7" code designation for the product. Apparently, the administrators were unaware that when purchased directly from a VW parts department, the actual part number (and not "9W7") would be showing on the invoice.

I suggested to the administrators that they may have other submissions which show a different VW part number (e.g., 5K0-035-730x), and not the "PR Ordering Code" (9W7). Those submissions would still be valid for a 9W7 installation.

Last edited: