replaced everything still long starts

atrussell129

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI BEW
I have an 04 tdi PD and I have replaced both fuel pumps, fuel filter, fuel lines around the engine, I just replaced injector seals, I have one way check valves on both sides of the fuel (to engine and return line) I have replaced the crank sensor, I have ran a new ground wire directly from the battery to the crank sensor. I have no idea what is causing a long start after it sits for a 5+ hours. it has a new battery and I got the timing belt changed a few months ago, but I started having this issue before hand.

Any ideas or help would be great.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Time to put down the shotgun and do some troubleshooting.

How long are these long starts? How long does it take to start after three hours? Is there smoke from the tailpipe when trying to crank? Have you checked the glow plugs for both resistance and voltage to them? Did you try unplugging the coolant temp sensor after a cold soak to see how it starts? How many miles on the engine? Did this start suddenly or has it been getting progressively worse?

atrussell129

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI BEW
Time to put down the shotgun and do some troubleshooting.

How long are these long starts? How long does it take to start after three hours? Is there smoke from the tailpipe when trying to crank? Have you checked the glow plugs for both resistance and voltage to them? Did you try unplugging the coolant temp sensor after a cold soak to see how it starts? How many miles on the engine? Did this start suddenly or has it been getting progressively worse?
It can take between 40 to 65 seconds to start in the mornings. there typicaly isn't any smoke until right before it starts but there is never a huge cloud of smoke that comes out. I have checked all of the glow plugs resistance and they test good but I am in Florida and I thought I read somewhere that they dont turn on until 40 degrees or less and it has been 65 here the last few days. I unplugged the coolant sensor and tried to start it, but I still get the same thing with extended cranking. I have also replaced the sensor. I am also not sure what a coal soak is. I have 186,000 miles on it. the problem has gotten worse since I bought the car a little over a year ago. when I first got it, sometimes it would take a few extra seconds to crank over and start but after a few months that got worse and took 45 seconds to start but only when setting over night, and now it takes that long or longer to start and only has to sit for 5 hours.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You said you replaced the pumps, but does the lift pump actually run when you turn the key on? Sounds to me like it could be a loss of fuel prime.

If you take the thermo-tee out of the fuel filter, is the filter empty?

atrussell129

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI BEW
Yes it does turn on when I turn the key because I can hear the humming. I also changed the fuel filter to one without a thermostatic T in it to eliminate that.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need to try and determine of there is a fuel prime loss causing this. I would put the tee back on the filter so you can actually SEE in there to see if the fuel filter is full or not when you go to start the car.

And yes, verify all the fuel lines are correct from the tank and back again. Do not assume they are.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
If you have VCDS you can check your cam position sensor. See what it is showing for a torsion value. If it's not 0.00 it should be okay. (even if it's zero it could be still be okay).

I have read that it is used by the ECU to aid in faster starting.

atrussell129

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI BEW
I do not have a vcds but I do have a code reader for my phone and the torque app, not sure if that can help out any. I will double check the fuel lines are ran correctly. should I put clear lines on the fuel lines to check and see if there is air in the line that way?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I do not have a vcds but I do have a code reader for my phone and the torque app, not sure if that can help out any. I will double check the fuel lines are ran correctly. should I put clear lines on the fuel lines to check and see if there is air in the line that way?
All you need is a short (2-3") section on the IP feed hose at a high point.
Try to use some metal hose barbs and good clamps to avoid adding an air leak.