2001.5 or 2002?

syoun

This is my first post. Sorry if this is a recycled topic, but I haven't seen it discussed in the few weeks that I've been following the group.

I am 90% sure that I'm going to buy a VW TDI Jetta GLS in the near future. However, I'm wondering whether I should buy soon (get a 2001.5 model) or wait for a 2002. Does anyone know what will be new for 2002?

I have heard (rumor) that the engine power will be increased to 110hp (this is already available as a mod, as you all know). Won't this likely result in a decrease in fuel economy? If so, the 2001.5 is probably better.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

justme

Veteran Member
If you're sure you want it, it might be best to grab one now. Folks who were waiting for a '98 Passat TDI were very disappointed. If you can find a car you like, grab it. Nobody knows what VW will actually send into the country until it arrives, and don't take any dealer's word on what you will be able to get in the future. I followed my own advice and just bought a TDI Golf last week.

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
I suggest getting a TDI ASAP.

For 2002, VWAG is swapping the 2.8L VR6 gasser for a similarly designed 3.0L that still maintains the 15* cylinder bank and naturally is more powerful / sips less fuel - got to keep up with BMW, they say.

------------------
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed: Silver & Gray / Luxury & CWP, Monsoon & CD. Engine Mods

blue909

Veteran Member
I am pretty sure that if VW decides to continue offering TDI engines in 2002 models in the US, it will be the same 90HP model we have now. By 2003, maybe a PD unit (assuming sulphur levels go down in US fuels) or perhaps no TDIs at all in the US, given the tiny market here. Overall, changes btwn 2001 and 2002 are supposed to be minor (there's a complete rundown on another thread here at at Vortex) aside from enhancements to gas engines (1.8T and 6cyl). I agree with the above logic: if you want a TDI go buy it.

blue909

think diesel

Veteran Member
I agree with Blue. I'd be suprised if there were any major changes in the TDI offering anytime soon. Their may be TDI GLS Jetta Wagons offered in 2002, but if that is the case VW is not telling anyone about it. So far there are only plans for 2.0, VR6 and delayed introduction 1.8T versions. All will be GLS.

JeffT

Veteran Member
I'd actually be a little concerned about the availablity of TDIs for next year. You never know what is up VW's sleeves!

That said, you aren't close enough to the year change to worry about it. If it were say July or August I'd start thinking about the 2002 cars.