The "What did you do to your B5 passat today" thread...

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Clint, do you have it on upside-down for show, or can the compressor housing be clocked around so you won't need a big bubble on the hood to clear the actuator and the outlet piping?

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Clint, do you have it on upside-down for show, or can the compressor housing be clocked around so you won't need a big bubble on the hood to clear the actuator and the outlet piping?

I will get some more pictures. I literally pulled the turbo out of a box and threw it on there.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Haha, what else would like like to know? Head is getting ported as we speak. Colt stage 3 cam. Heavy duty valve springs. GTB2056VK.
Drool. What's the fluid damper worth? Using it to quell vibrations? What transmission is going behind this beast - not the factory auto I hope...:rolleyes:

Nash_TDI

TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Drool. What's the fluid damper worth? Using it to quell vibrations? What transmission is going behind this beast - not the factory auto I hope...:rolleyes:
Whitbread recommends them when pairing an O1E with a single mass flywheel.

So an O1E with a Whitbread clutch. :D

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
had to take the turbo apart on my daughters 05 Passat today and clean it, was getting an overboost if you really got into it climbing a hill. Now when graphing desired versus actual manifold pressure, it's dead nuts :D

Nash_TDI

TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Only the AC belt is longer.

OEM belt is 4PK855. 4rib x 855mm. I went with 865mm. You can see in the picture there is still room to tension it more or less with that length.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Only the AC belt is longer.

OEM belt is 4PK855. 4rib x 855mm. I went with 865mm. You can see in the picture there is still room to tension it more or less with that length.
Thanks. Make sure to report back on how the fluidampr works out for you. I am interested to hear if it makes a difference.

Nash_TDI

TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Haven't had time to mess with it much but took another angled pic yesterday:

Cold side can be rotated more and need some tweaking to the oil line. Forgot the engine is mounted at a slight angle which will help some.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Chalk me up as curious as well. The fluidampr is a little on the spend side, but if it works...

In my case I have the factory (eu) DMF, but would be looking to reduce the slight 2000rpm drone that comes and goes.

Nash_TDI

TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
This first one is on a customers car. Won't really have a good idea. Mine will go on after H2O sometime.

Not sure I'll have the best before/after comparison because its getting trans swap, axles, mounts, control arms, etc all at the same time.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I installed an auto-dimming compass Mirror from an Audi A4:

Not too bad - it has the standard turn-lock mirror mount, and required ignition-switched power and ground. I found both in the sunroof wiring. Total time to install, less than an hour. The compass is nice, but the auto-dim is really handy for idiots running HIDs in reflector housings.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
I installed an auto-dimming compass Mirror from an Audi. Not too bad - it has the standard turn-lock mirror mount, and required ignition-switched power and ground. I found both in the sunroof wiring. Total time to install, less than an hour. The compass is nice, but the auto-dim is really handy for idiots running HIDs in reflector housings.
Is the compass unit self contained in the unit or is the sending unit located elsewhere?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I'll put something together this weekend.

The compass is integral with the unit - self calibrating. Literally plug and play.

2004PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Sedan, 2016 E250 Sport
The alternator was acting up at 176,000 miles on the clock. It would charge at idle, but anything above 1,000 RPM, and it went dead. The new Valeo alternator was a bit expensive at $370. It did come with a new pulley, so that took some of the sting out of the cost.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Auto-Dim Compass Mirror install

Last weekend, I installed an auto dimming compass mirror in the B5:

I would rate the install a 2-2.5 out of 5 - not all that hard.

First off, there are several auto-dimming mirrors out there, most made by a company called Gentex, they seem to be the OEM supplier for most brands.

The most important (if you are installing into a B5) thing is that it has the common twist-lock mirror mount like this:

If the one you get does not have this mount, you will have a hard time fitting it.

The part # for the one I installed is E11015313: Note - if you buy one of these from Fleabay, make sure it has the VW twistlock mount - the BMW version has the same part # with a different mount!

Mine came with the little covers to hide the wires

4B0857511 - Windshield side

And 4B0857593 - Facing inside (Wire channel)

installing the unit to the windshield is pretty easy - turn the old mirror base 90 degrees clockwise.

Note - Do not apply force in any other direction other than rotation. if you shift/pry/lever/manhandle/lean on the mirror, you can crack your windshield. If you only rotate the mirror base around an axis perpendicular to the glass, you will be fine. You have been warned.

If you are not sure even after the above, hit up youtube - lots of videos there showing how to do it.

Once you have the old mirror off you install the new one in reverse - mount it 90 degrees to the regular position, and while keeping the base flush to the windshield/base, rotate counter clockwise until it locks in place. Same warning as above applies.

Electrically there are six wires going into the mirror. If all you are interested in is the compass and the dimming, then you only need to connect two of them - #'s 1 and 2. These were white and black in my mirror, respectively (bottom right in this picture)

I connected the black wire to the 10mm nut next to the sunroof motor (loosened nut, stripped wire and placed underneath, retightened).
To get at the nut, I gently pried the sunroof cover down with a clean slot screwdriver. To run the wire from the mirror to the nut, I temporarily removed the little 6" visor between the mirror and the sunroof controls - it comes free with one Philips screw in middle of the visor.

For power, I originally hoped to find switched power in the sunroof, but could not find anything reliable, as the sunroof goes through the power retention module that keeps accessories powered until the key is removed.

I ended up running a wire from the mirror across the headliner (tucked in) down the A pillar, tucked between the A pillar and the dash, down to the fused side of the blower fan fuse (hot in key-on).

That got me power and ground and a functioning mirror.

looking through a number of other threads, the remaining wires are for left and right dimmable outside mirrors, door pin and reverse.

The reverse connection is to un-dim the mirror when going backward, but I have not found that I need it, so it remains unconnected.

For the dimming, the mirror works great - dims at night just fine, even through the darkish tint in my rear window.

For the compass, it is self-calibrating, but you may need to set the zone depending on where you drive: (I am zone 10)

There is a recessed button on the bottom of the mirror:

To check / set the zone, press and hold it for about 5 seconds (I used a toothpick), and a number will appear in the display. That is the number of the zone the mirror is calibrated to (mine was zone 8, must have come from a car in the mid-west). If you are in a different zone, release the button, and keep pressing the button again until your zone comes up. stop pressing the button for 5 seconds and it will lock in that zone.

That's it - enjoy and post up any questions.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Most of my searching says it came in 99-2003's.

If you search the part # plus "audi" you should get the correct one. Flea Bay has them, and they come up on the vortex from time to time.

Also, more detail on the overhead sunroof console to het at the ground point:

to get the motor cover off, pry at the edge of this cover:

The ground nut is here, above the light/switch console: (right)

To get the switch console out, pull down this lens at the from (comes out easy with finger pressure)

Under the lens are two Phillips #2 screws that will allow the console to come down to access the grounding nut:

Last edited: