Immobilizer light flashing :(

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Went out to get a pizza and my NB did not fire on the first try(about 20 deg. out),after the second glow it started right up. Then while driving down the road I noticed the immobilizer light was flashing. After i stoped to pick up the pizza it started fine and has not come back on. My car is stock except for elephant hose. Should I be worried about this??

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Its the warning light with a picture of a key. On my NB it looks like a beetle w/a key for the rear tire, yellow in color.

[This message has been edited by jayb79 (edited January 03, 2001).]

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Check out the VW Tech Service Bulletin on the Ignition Immobilizer. http://tech.vw.com

It's for the Jetta/Golf, but the immobilizer unit should be the same in all of the cars. Good info there, check it out.

I don't know why it would have been flashing. It might not have been getting a signal from the key for some reason, this would cause it to flash. Do you have other switchblade keys on your keyring? I have the key to my dad's Audi on my keyring but haven't had any problems with my immobilizer yet.

The TSB says that multiple keys can sometimes confuse the immobilizer and cause the car not to start.

I would guess that the most likely cause of your light flashing is that the immobilizer unit was not receiving a signal from your key, possibly due to another key on your ring, RF interference from radio towers and the like, or some other weird phenomenon.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again.

------------------
Über-Käfer: UPsoluted 2000 Yellow New Beetle 1.9 TDI 5-speed
1987 Diamond Blue Mercedes-Benz 190D 2.5 Turbo (sold, but considering re-purchase)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It's also noteworthy that your car will die on you if the immobilizer doesn't receive a signal or an incorrect signal from an ignition key... it may take a minute or two though.

The would-be car theives who tried to steal tdi_pwr's Golf were able to drive 300 feet before the immobilizer killed the engine.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Veedub,
Thanks for the feedback. Only key on the ring is the one in the ignition, I do have the service key in the glovey though but have never had this problem before or since. The car did continue to run for a good five mins before I got to the pizza factory. I thought I was going to be dead on the side of the road when I first saw it flashing.