DMF or no DMF ???

kaypig

TDI
04 passat wagon, 03 golf
Hi, i have a 2004 passat tdi wagon B5.5 i believe, i live in Florida so its a North American model, a couple of days ago it aquired a rattle from the bell housing area, after reading a few threads on here i believe it is the DMF, is there any way of finding out if my vehicle has a DMF??. The vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission with the semi manual shifting option ( no clutch pedal ), i can post the vin number if that helps figure out whether it does or does not have a DMF, thanks in advance for any help.

Rowingfish87

TDI
04 Passat TDI
A DMF is a dual-mass flywheel. This would only be found on a manual transmission-equipped vehicle. So no, your car does not have one. There is a flex plate and torque converter in the bell housing area of your transmission. Could be a loose bolt in there. No way to check without separating the transmission from the engine though. Good luck.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Do you mean a DSG automatic? If yes, then the answer to that is no, it is not a DSG.

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS tdi wagon
mine had the rivets coming loose on the flexplate. It was causing a horrible noise. If you have a US model and it has the stock tiptronic auto, you may have the same problem.

I put mine on jack stands very securely and with it running went under on a creeper. It was obviously converter or flexplate issue on mine. The noise was spot on at that area.

I pulled it down because of torque converter slipping too and decided it was time for a manual swap.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I have a spare flexplate lying around (from my conversion to manual) if you need one.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I have a "few" of those too. Trying to figure out a good use for them. Haha