Loss of power even though Many part changed.

LoveTDI.

TDI
Audi A4 B5
Hi,

I have a Passat TDI 1.9 110HP 1999, with 230000Km.(I'm in France)
I have a lack of power since I bought it, limb mode, no power...you name it.
so I started by changing and cleaning parts:
new turbo.
EGR blocked.
All vaccum pipes changed to silicone.
New MAF (pierburg)
MAP checked working, cleaned and put back on.
N75 tested working.
injectors cleaned
new fuel filter.

when I drive on a level area, it goes ok, up to 2000rpm it doesnt pull, its like the turbo is not engaged, allthough I hear it hissing, then above 2000rpm it runs like it should, perfect power(above 2000rpm, not under).

now in up hill, I cant get any power, from 110-120 km/h, slows down to 60km/h, push the pedal to the flor, nothing, and this is not corrected by turning off the engine and back on, no it's all the time like this.

Can someone give me some help, may be there is something I didnt check or replaced...!!

Thank you.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
If you're hearing a "hissing" sound, you've probably got a boost leak. Check all of the hoses in the charge air path.

LoveTDI.

TDI
Audi A4 B5
thank you for the answers.

No, there is no leak in the vaccum circuit, I checked again & again.
when I said hissing, I meant Turbo wistling, you know...the Turbo sound.
so I dont find any leak.
I changed only a defect, not working component, anything working, I clean, and put back.
before I change any part, I check it twice before replace it.

What other part do I have to check..?

wtribeflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI sedan
They are not saying you have a vacuum leak.....they are saying check the pressure side of the turbo outlet hoses that go through the intercooler. The rubber hoses can wear through or split and it can be hard to see. Remove the rubber hoses and inspect them carefully. Also check oring connections.

LoveTDI.

TDI
Audi A4 B5
Oh...ok ok, I got it.
So I have to check the hoses from the turbo to the Intercooler and beyond to the intake.
I check for any leak, and even more, take out the IC and clean it.
everything has to be pressure tight.

I will proceed to that maybe in the weekend.
I'll let you know by then.

Thank you.

LoveTDI.

TDI
Audi A4 B5
Hi,

Some updates...
So, I checked all the boost line, all the hoses, jubilee clamps, all of them are fine, no hole or tear, no crack, nothing.
all the clamps are double checked tied.
still have some lack of power on up hill, not like before, but still going down.
there is no smoke by the way (before I changed the MAF sensor, yes, there was a smoke kind of blackish, unburn diesel, specialy when I rev it up, but since I change it, I can barely see the smoke)

so I am back to point zero: what else should I diagnose? The intercooler? may be its filthy, clogged with debries...?
what you think?

Thank you.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Yes, maybe the intercooler is clogged or something is blocking the intake track. Is the turbo making enough boost? What shape is the camshaft in?

LoveTDI.

TDI
Audi A4 B5
Hi,

Thanks for all of you guys.
Some updates about what I did so far....
so I took off the IC, did some cleaning, there was no dirt, only some oil, witch is normal I suppose after 220k km, (i dont know if the first owner did clean it or not), and clean the outside of it to get air going trough.

in responce to imo000, I Took off the intake manifold, wasn't bad, just some build up of carbon deposit, scrub it very good and put back.
I checked the cam shaft, all the lobes are in good shape, no signe of wear at all.

I could say that didnt change anything.

oh yeah, I forgot, when I start the car and drive it on freeway it pulls good even uphill, then after it warms up, the power is there on the flat road, but when it comes to climb 4-5°, it start to slow, even my foot is all the way down, no acceleration, flat rev.

To mikica, what should I check to find out about the Cat if its restricted or not...?
disconected from the turbo and see what inside, clogged, some build up....!!!

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Could be that the transmission goes into limp mode and stays in 3rd?

LoveTDI.

TDI
Audi A4 B5
Hi everyone,

Sorry I didnt drop by for a while.

Imo000, I have a stick shift, its not the issue.
I found this fault code with AVG scan:
00550 - Start of injection regulation
17-10 Control Difference-Intermittent

I read in the net that is the issue with the pilot injector witch has a wire coming out.
and there is a needle inside that float up and down and a sensor for it.

I know I did clean it with the others (the tiny holes), is it locked with some durt or something? is there anything I can do to free up this needle?
or I have to change the pilot injector?

thank you guys, this forum rocks.