Completed Phase 1 TDI Fix on my 2015 TDI Passat Manual

AVM62

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 speed manual
I have a 2015 Passat TDI SE 6 speed manual.
I had The Phase 1 TDI Fix done 1/24/17. I had a appointment for 9:00AM checked in, they said it would be ready in two hours. Went to breakfast as soon as I got my food I got a phone call from the dealership asking me to come back and speak with VW on the phone. I get back to the service area and the technician is waiting for me and we call VW back. They ask a few questions and we are good to go. 10:30AM car is washed and ready to go.
Its a 15 mile drive home. Car seems to have more power down low in the RPM range, meaning I don’t have to downshift as much, it pulls smoothly from 1100 RPM and will pull ok from 1000RPM if you feather the throttle.
I got the forms VW wanted uploaded by 12:00PM and got a email back stating they received them and would be reviewing them.
The next day I left for Apex NC about 270 miles one way. My seat of the pants feel is the car runs as well as it did before just a bit different the response is not quite as sharp as it was, but feels more refined because when traffic slows you don’t need to downshift out of 6th until about 45 MPH and it will accelerate right back up to speed no problem. No problem passing in 6th gear, no problem with on ramps. I had a 100 miles on the tank when I had the recall done I did not get fuel until the next day in Apex I got 45.5 MPG hand calculated.
I’m happy with the update. I drove to Apex with the radio off to see if i could hear a difference in the engine sound & the cooling fans. I never did hear the cooling fans. The engine sounds just a bit more diesel like to me with the radio off.
This morning at 08:28AM 1/27/17 I got a email from VW stating that they reviewed the documents I submitted and that they were determining my eligibility.
I drove back with the radio on and really could not hear any difference from before. As I only went 285 miles this tank it will be a while before I fill it up. The display said I did 46 MPG on the way back.

Last edited:

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Thank you for posting this feedback. Please keep us updated.

PABells

TDI
Passat SE Manual 6-speed 2014
Advice on my 2014 TDI SE 6-speed Manual Passat

A bit conflicted about what to do with my 2014 SE Passat. I want to keep it and get the fix--it's a type 2 and I don't know when they'll announce the repair.
I drove an Accord Hybrid 2017 and it was OK, but just not the same!! I'd be glad to hear if anyone has a better option especially with a manual transmission.

I'm glad to hear that your 2015 passed the Phase I fix without much undesirable change. Right now, I figure I'll keep driving and since I stay below the 12.5K miles per year, I should still be able to choose the buyout for the same cash even if it takes a year to arrive at a solution for my 2014. Currently, I've gone through the request to VW to opt for the emissions repair over the buy-back.

Last edited:

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
I'm scheduled to get phase 1 fix tomorrow....I'm interested to see how king to get 2/3 of the settlement....

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Thanks very much as your car is the same as I have. Your post sounds encouraging.
Can you tell us what VW asked you on the phone and what's up with them having to determine your eligibility? I have an offer I signed for the fix but still have not scheduled my appointment.

AVM62

TDI
I had to call VW at the dealer to make sure I was in the system. And they just wanted my account info.

Well after a week and a half of need this paperwork or need that paperwork VW finally said that I had not set up a appointment for the fix with my perferred dealer. Even though I had the fix done already. I called the dealer that did the fix and they said the fix was completed. So I made another appointment for tomorrow anyway. Called VW again, this time they said everything is done and that I should be hearing from Chase in one to three business days. Checked the VW website again, this time it said completed. We will see.

By the way after driving the car for a week in my normal routine except for more pulling power down low it drives just the same maybe a tad better because you don't have to downshift as much in heavy traffic. I've only heard the fan come on once after I've shut the car down.

I'm happy with the fix. Not happy with the way their computer system works.

AVM62

TDI
if you don't see this screen on your computer everything is not done even if they say it is on the phone:

"Thank you for participating in the Settlement Program. Our records show that this claim is now complete.

Questions or concerns can be directed to the Settlement Support Team at 1-844-98-CLAIM."

Tenebrae

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Jetta TDI Premium with Nav TURNED IN 03/10/2017
They washed your car! My dealer in Annapolis is pretty dam stingy about that
My dealer in Austin NEVER washed my Jetta, except when I first purchased it. They kept claiming that "a car wash was going to be put in any day now...any day...darn those city regulations holding it up!" But if I'd have only come in at some other time / date, they could have driven it up to a car wash...
Yeah. I always came in early on a Thursday or Friday, so...um...whatever with that.

My dealer in KCMO washes it EVERY time, whether I ask or not. O_O
Now that I don't actually care (doing the buyback). Go figure.

-T.

AVM62

TDI
Got my email from Chase, filled out the required info. Will let you know when the money is in my account.

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
Ok...it's been a week since phase 1 fix. Car runs exactly (maybe a little better?) as before, it's a bit difficult to assess, but I'm fairly confident fuel mileage is exactly as before (in Chicago temperatures have been cold to chilly, so with winter blend I normally get 41-44 mpg which is what the last to fill-ups yielded), it does sound a little more like a diesel and performance feels the same.

As for the money, the restitution (2/3 of it) was in my account in about 60 hours.

Using the cash to go on a family vacation and buy some tires......

Now just wait until 2018 and complete phase 2 for some more money.

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
Also, forgot to mention, dealership was Autobarn in Countryside, IL. I've only had good experiences there when I choose to use them. I was the first car the had to perform the fix on. The service manager stated that most are opting for buyback. In any case, they were not sure how long the fix would take so I was given a Jetta 1.8 gasser as a loaner. I really liked the color (metallic bronze), but am glad I kept my diesel after driving this for the day (I especially missed the MT).

5yearsuntilmods

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
I got the fix done a few weeks ago on my 2015 Golf TDI w/manual transmission.
Everything seemed to be ok. Minor differences in sound and power delivery as mentioned before.

Yesterday and today this has happened to me. Cruising speed (40-50mph 4/5 gear) I have experienced what feel like hesitations or just a single misfire. No check engine light and both times is has been when the engine is not up to operating temperature yet. Yesterday was 40 degrees F outside and today was 60. I had never experienced this problem before the fix but I think I may have just gotten old fuel or something when I filled up last. Has anyone else had this happen?

AVM62

TDI
Got my email from Chase, filled out the required info. Will let you know when the money is in my account.
I got the money in my account on the morning of the 2/8/17.

Two weeks and one day after I got the service.

The car has more low end power. Really noticeable in heavy traffic, you just don't have to downshift as much, if you need to speed up just press on the accelerator and the car responds.

AVM62

TDI
After driving my car for three weeks after the fix I can say I really like the fix. Who ever programed the software knew what they were doing and had experience driving a manual transmission vehicle. The car feels much more refined and will not stall as fast as before. It pulls like a tractor at low engine speeds yet is zippy on the highway. I have no way of telling if it uses more DFT or not. So far very happy I kept my car.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
My question was posted in response to a post that's since been deleted (in at least three different threads where exactly the same thing had been posted).

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
2015s get a two stage fix, right? Does anyone who knows more about what happens in stage 2 care to speculate if the 2nd stage will cause performance / fuel economy issues?

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
After driving my car for three weeks after the fix I can say I really like the fix. Who ever programed the software knew what they were doing and had experience driving a manual transmission vehicle. The car feels much more refined and will not stall as fast as before. It pulls like a tractor at low engine speeds yet is zippy on the highway. I have no way of telling if it uses more DFT or not. So far very happy I kept my car.
Thanks for that feedback. I really need to hear that. I just trying to get up the courage to get mine done. Claim approved, ball is in my court.

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
I too have a 2015 Passat TDI SE 6-speed manual, and found this thread very informative. Thank you AVM62 for starting the thread and to everyone else that added useful posts here.

Like most of us, I too was concerned how the modifications could affect the performance and fuel economy of our cars, and had difficulty deciding what to do. Finally I decided to keep my car figuring we would never have other opportunities to buy new VW TDIs, and thought I'd postpone the modifications as late as possible to enjoy the performance and fuel economy as long as I could. But since reading this thread and a few others here at TDIClub I no longer have reservations about the modifications - at least not the first modification. I've returned to the VWGoA Online Claims website, continued the process, and am actually looking forward to getting the first modification carried out!

AVM62

TDI
After having my update for about 6 weeks mostly city driving I'm pleased as punch with it.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
I got the fix done a few weeks ago on my 2015 Golf TDI w/manual transmission.
Everything seemed to be ok. Minor differences in sound and power delivery as mentioned before.

Yesterday and today this has happened to me. Cruising speed (40-50mph 4/5 gear) I have experienced what feel like hesitations or just a single misfire. No check engine light and both times is has been when the engine is not up to operating temperature yet. Yesterday was 40 degrees F outside and today was 60. I had never experienced this problem before the fix but I think I may have just gotten old fuel or something when I filled up last. Has anyone else had this happen?
My 2013 Passat manual has done that since new at about 2000RPM while in the warm up mode. Doesn't happen after warm up, only happens when cruising along at a steady speed in 4th at around the 2000 PRM.

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
Mine has always does same thing. Just keep RPM up at 2400 - 3000 (stay in lower gear) until nearly warm, no problem. Another poster suggested this, the idea is to not push the turbo till it warms up a little. He says that is easieat on engine.

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
2015s get a two stage fix, right? Does anyone who knows more about what happens in stage 2 care to speculate if the 2nd stage will cause performance / fuel economy issues?

My guess is that post-Phase II will be more like what's being reported in the UK, with the DPF putting out heavy fumes during regens, significantly lower MPG (i.e., teens instead of fifties), pep gone, lots more fan noise, EGR valve failures, louder engines, DPF failures, etc. I would bet that when the Phase II hardware replacement comes around they'll plug-in new software at the same time, then US TDI drivers will start to feel the actual cost of emissions regulations.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
My guess is that post-Phase II will be more like what's being reported in the UK, with the DPF putting out heavy fumes during regens, significantly lower MPG (i.e., teens instead of fifties), pep gone, lots more fan noise, EGR valve failures, louder engines, DPF failures, etc. I would bet that when the Phase II hardware replacement comes around they'll plug-in new software at the same time, then US TDI drivers will start to feel the actual cost of emissions regulations.

If true, the failure will be covered by warranties -- me thinks:confused:
An inconvenience at best

The MPG situation is a bummer, if true ~~ & IMO, will result is a lot of blow back against WAG

However as all disputes shall be settled in favor of the owner ~~~ WAG has it in a sling one more time:D:eek:

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf

Makes no sense. You are saying VW somehow is cheating the EPA again? Or that they both are in cahoots to cheat owners? Maybe reposition that tin foil hat of yours.

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
Makes no sense. You are saying VW somehow is cheating the EPA again? Or that they both are in cahoots to cheat owners? Maybe reposition that tin foil hat of yours.
In light of your response, I believe I'll stick with my response.

-- Nicole