Small Radiator fan inop ac on/off notwithstanding

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2
After doing a keyword search I participated in the wrong forum it looks like!!

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=242699

So I'm moving it here.

Stumbled upon this thread after doing a keyword search when I noticed my small fan wasn't cycling on when car was running, whereas my large fan was working as designed: slow speed initially, then cycled to high as ambient temps rose. And believe me here in the Coachella Valley we have high ambients!!
What a thorough topic we have here. Thanks to all who contribute.
So here's the deal. Did the manual check from post #1 and neither fan was on @ low speed with engine off, cabin fan speed low, and a/c switch pushed in. BUT as soon as I started the car the large cycled to slow. What's up with that? Could low 134 charge cause the fans to not run in manual check?? What is the range on the low side of this a/c system?
Any of you gurus here @ the B4 side have any ideas what's going on?
Thanks

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Did you check to see that you still have the fan belt that connects the small and large fans? Only one has a motor, the other one is driven off a belt mounted on the front side.

I believe that with the AC engaged the fan should run on low all the time, at least until more cooling is required.

Steve

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you check to see that you still have the fan belt that connects the small and large fans? Only one has a motor, the other one is driven off a belt mounted on the front side.

I believe that with the AC engaged the fan should run on low all the time, at least until more cooling is required.

Steve
Hey Steve,

Yes belt is there, but not turning the small fan obviously. Seems to need tightening b/c it's a bit sloppy and not taut. Yet I see no way to move either fan away from the other to make it so.
Ideas?

Also, here's a useful site that I stumbled on regarding a/c port location on most cars:
http://idqusa.com/ask-the-pro/port-locator

Note than after finishing selecting your cars info, there is an "AC refrigerant and lubricant specs" tab on the left!!

Knowledge is good!!

Last edited:

chrisvb

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 jetta
fan belt adjust

Take the 3 nuts loose that hold the passenger side fan assy to the yoke,with the belt on the pulley move the assy outboard . The studs are on slots and allow for (minor) adjustment.
if not enough , perhaps the belt has worn more than allowable.

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
Take the 3 nuts loose that hold the passenger side fan assy to the yoke,with the belt on the pulley move the assy outboard . The studs are on slots and allow for (minor) adjustment.
if not enough , perhaps the belt has worn more than allowable.

Okay, will try that.

Thanks Chris!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Okay, will try that.

Thanks Chris!
As Chris said there is some minor adjustment that can be made but I would bet that your belt is at the end of its useful life. Fortunately you can still get them, at least the last time I checked you could.

Also, there are two sizes of belts IIRC so that complicates selection a little. I'll see if I can find the part numbers.

Steve