Active Regen Smell

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Is it normal for the cabin to smell quite a bit during an active regen? Was in the wife's TDI the other day and it started to smell pretty bad while sitting at a light...

VWfan55

TDI
Jetta TDI 2013 White/CrnSlk w/Premium
Occasionally I will smell the exhaust/regen smell (I don't know what else to call it) when I have the air on or windows down AND there is not any significant traffic. It doesn't smell bad, not very strong, just a small smell of it.

Hogndos

TDI
2012 TDI Premium w/Nav
Occasionally I will smell the exhaust/regen smell (I don't know what else to call it) when I have the air on or windows down AND there is not any significant traffic. It doesn't smell bad, not very strong, just a small smell of it.

Same here but I would not call it strong ...occasionally just a hint and typically when the weather is warm...

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Thanks everybody. I've read a few threads where turbos were leaking exhaust gases. Is there a quick way to check for this? I'm assuming it'll be black at the leak location if so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
My car always smells like burning wax during a regen. Not strong or over powering, just the smell you get when you first light a new candle.

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
Is it normal for the cabin to smell quite a bit during an active regen? Was in the wife's TDI the other day and it started to smell pretty bad while sitting at a light...
When new it will smell worse. The first regen my 2011 did from new was pretty strong. The smell got less and less with age. Don't even smell it now.