Passat NMS VCDS Tricks / Upgrades

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I just bought a 2014 Passat TDI SE (manual transmission)... and I'm hating the Hill Hold feature. Seems like the only way to turn it off is with VCDS?
Has anyone successfully used VCDS with a 2014 Passat?
VCDS works perfectly fine with a 2014 Passat, however the number of tweaks that the factory has left 2014 owners seems to have went down since the introduction of this chassis.

TBKnbaNYC

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SE 6MT
VCDS works perfectly fine with a 2014 Passat, however the number of tweaks that the factory has left 2014 owners seems to have went down since the introduction of this chassis.
hmmm thanks for the heads up. curious, how did you find this out? is there a list/datebase of changeable things by year and model somewhere?

how about hill hold? still something that can be shut off I'm assuming?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
HH can be disabled with VCDS. Reading in the model specific forums will tell you what is changing. There are some specific threads here about this as well. www.myturbodiesel.com also has some threads that list changes from model year to model year. VW seems to be famous for decontenting from one model year to the next.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
hmmm thanks for the heads up. curious, how did you find this out? is there a list/datebase of changeable things by year and model somewhere?
how about hill hold? still something that can be shut off I'm assuming?
I found this out by playing with it myself. I've been doing VCDS tweaks for years, figuring a few things out as I've went along.

AFAIK, There's no official list of tweaks that can be done. VW doesn't put this info on the street, I'm sure they prefer that we stay out of their modules and changing the way things work. Any lists that exist are generally compiled by enthusiast communities such as TDIClub.

The reason some of these tweaks exist is because VW designs control modules for use in cars of varying trim levels and in various regions. It's much easier to engineer two or three different modules that can go into tens of thousand of options configurations rather than one module that goes into specific cars with specific options configurations.

99% of the driving community doesn't even know what a VCDS is, let alone have the know how and testicular fortitude to get into modules and start making changes. Honestly, the VCDS software by Ross-Tech is what brought this type of tweaking into the realm of the hobbyist, and without that we'd have to turn off our DRLS by cutting wires, rather than changing bits :) You're dealing with uncharted territory here and any changes you make are at your own risk.

Sometimes VW's control modules are very logical, but other times I like to think these are the prime example of "German engineers do things because they can, not necessarily because they should."

allipki

TDI
Passat tdi sel 2013
for me remote starter works fine, but when you open the door it shuts off the engine which is stupid. Anyone learned if it could be reprogramed with VCDS.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
for me remote starter works fine, but when you open the door it shuts off the engine which is stupid. Anyone learned if it could be reprogramed with VCDS.

No. That behavior can not be changed.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Fogs as DRL

You can adjust the DEC1 in Byte 24 of the BCM to run your fogs at a dimmer level that full on fogs. I found that 50% works well. Not too dim, and definitely not too bright.

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
Here is one thing I changed that has a COOL/HOT function:D:

also the climatronics can also have staging via an adaption channel!:)

I also made a video to compare the sync of the instruments and climatronic display:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIx0tUmfR4I
EDIT: after testing it byte 1 bit 3 actually increases the amount of degrees the car can show- perhaps for high or low temperature climates?maybe canadian or saudi NMS's have this active?
either way it is easy and to some an improvement!

Last edited:

drjable

TDI
passat 14
Anyone ever try this steering setting?

Channel 005: Torque Steer Compensation (TSC)
The Torque Steer Compensation (TSC) is only being activated for Front-Wheel-Drive (FWD) Models which have a high powered Engine. This Function prevents the Car from leaning into one Direction while Accelerating in Combination with powerful Engines and unequal Lenghts Drive Shafts.

Possible Settings:

Torque Steer Compensation (TSC) inactive (Standard)
Torque Steer Compensation (TSC) active

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone ever try this steering setting?

Channel 005: Torque Steer Compensation (TSC)
The Torque Steer Compensation (TSC) is only being activated for Front-Wheel-Drive (FWD) Models which have a high powered Engine. This Function prevents the Car from leaning into one Direction while Accelerating in Combination with powerful Engines and unequal Lenghts Drive Shafts.

Possible Settings:

Torque Steer Compensation (TSC) inactive (Standard)
Torque Steer Compensation (TSC) active
I am with my folks right now but I will be testing it on Tuesday or wednesday when I can!
This could be fun :)

drjable

TDI
passat 14
This is the most important change to me of all the ones listed. I cant get it to work. When I change bit 4-7 to Germany it changes the code to 011E01 even when I had 211E01 in there previously. It does change the MFI to metric though. What am I doing wrong?
I to and unable to get the radio to stay on using the Germany instrument settings and my 2014 TDI SE. I also can't find the ability to turn the push to talk steering wheel button into mute. I would really like to get the mute button and the Germany radio setting to work. Above all I wish I could see which gear IM in even when I am in Drive or sport mode like my old Jetta 06 and passat 99 both did.

I have been successful with the heating memory on the seats the blinker change and instrument sweep celebration.

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
I to and unable to get the radio to stay on using the Germany instrument settings and my 2014 TDI SE. I also can't find the ability to turn the push to talk steering wheel button into mute. I would really like to get the mute button and the Germany radio setting to work. Above all I wish I could see which gear IM in even when I am in Drive or sport mode like my old Jetta 06 and passat 99 both did.

I have been successful with the heating memory on the seats the blinker change and instrument sweep celebration.
as far as i know Only the RNS-510 and euro spec 310 can do this, the rcd-510 and us spec RNS-315 are incapable of it at this point...:(
they MAY be capable of it, it is just yet to be decoded/released by the alpha VCDS gurus in Pennsylvania...

PTT to mutebit is in steering wheel controller under long coding!

Last edited:

drjable

TDI
passat 14
as far as i know Only the RNS-510 and euro spec 310 can do this, the rcd-510 and us spec RNS-315 are incapable of it at this point...:(
they MAY be capable of it, it is just yet to be decoded/released by the alpha VCDS gurus in Pennsylvania...

PTT to mutebit is in steering wheel controller under long coding!

Mattfrayage - thanks I found the ptt disable option I didn't realize you could arrow down to move to the other bytes to display the other long coding options.

My 2014 nms SE has the premium 8 radio head unit. It doesn't seem to be able to stay on when I turn engine off in either Great Britan or Germany settings.

Anyone have success keeping the premium 8 radio on?

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
here is one i stumbled upon that appears to work:
Adaptation in the Instruments module (17) - Volume to be replenished -change from NO to YES
not really useful all that much...
perhaps it is for those automated hi-speed gas preset volume pumps like they have in some Russian gas stations?
EDIT: more stuff coming soon- at 15 degrees it is REALLY cold outside to be messing around!

Last edited:

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
if you would rather fogs come on for coming home you may want to try this!
Coming home with foglights
Description: Coming home with foglights.
Cent Elec / Long Coding / Byte 17 Bit 3
also if you want to try something i have changed but yet to test due to an avalanche risk:eek:
Domelight on with rear lid open
Description: Enable the option to keep the Domelight on with rear trunk lid open
Cent. Elect./ Coding /Check Byte 20 bit 1
for me this didn't work but may on another model?:(
Electronic Differential Lock (XDS) Strength
Description: XDS is the electronic differential lock.
XDS channel 36 not avaliable
also with a 100% full tank of diesel- perhaps even overfilled the MFA shows this:

Last edited:

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
The refuel thing is sweet! If it weren't 5 degrees F outside, I'd be down there right now enabling that!

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
Hey Matt - that HVAC tweak is cool or hot, depending on your perspective. It changes the temperature range from 64-80 to 60-87 before clicking over to LO or HI. I also saw the other bit in Byte 3 (IIRC) for rear console controls. Well, I checked that one and it 'seems' to deliver more air to my retro-fitted rear AC vents.

Here is one thing I changed that has a COOL/HOT function:D:

also the climatronics can also have staging via an adaption channel!:)

I also made a video to compare the sync of the instruments and climatronic display:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIx0tUmfR4I
EDIT: after testing it byte 1 bit 3 actually increases the amount of degrees the car can show- perhaps for high or low temperature climates?maybe canadian or saudi NMS's have this active?
either way it is easy and to some an improvement!
here is one i stumbled upon that appears to work:
Adaptation in the Instruments module (17) - Volume to be replenished -change from NO to YES
not really useful all that much...
perhaps it is for those automated hi-speed gas preset volume pumps like they have in some Russian gas stations?
EDIT: more stuff coming soon- at 15 degrees it is REALLY cold outside to be messing around!
Now for the really interesting part:
Since you have a '13, I assume that you have the 705 Kombi variant with the staging tweak and not the plain jane 507 Kombi that I have that does not allow that. Well the 507 also does not allow the Volume to be replenished either tweak. It shows as 'not available' in my cluster.

So while I was in there, and still not experiencing any joy with the oil temperature reading, I tweaked a few of the other ESI and SIE parameters and now I got this neat red oil can flashing at me whenever the engine is running, but not when the car is turned on (engine not running). It turns on for about 5 seconds and is off for about the same and repeats. The MFI screen is otherwise blank.

So while I think the oil level sensor is working for level, I quickly turned off the car, let it settle a few minutes and checked to see that the oil level was good, which it was. I was a bit concerned since I suctioned about 3 ounces of oil out for a mid-life UOA yesterday since my last one (and first UOA) indicated some higher than normal metal accumulations. I really don't think that it is so sensitive to respond to such a slight change in oil volume, as it seemed to drop less than an 1/8" on the dipstick. Anyways, was running late so didn't have time to figure out what needed tweaking some more, if in fact it was that. I'm also running ROW coding for the cluster since I was trying to see if that would make the oil temperature reading work. You can read all about the oil sensor saga here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=395813
I even got a couple of other sensors to try out. The interesting thing about this ROW coding is that it gave me a reminder to refuel, not just the ding and fuel pump symbol.

So the upper portion of the MFI is capable of Yellow (amber) for the Saudi coding speed exceedance. I also got a yellow oil can when first working on the oil sensor, or if disconnected for a while with the car on. And now RED for some kind of oil system warning.

Last edited:

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
I even got a couple of other sensors to try out. The interesting thing about this ROW coding is that it gave me a reminder to refuel, not just the ding and fuel pump symbol.

So the upper portion of the MFI is capable of Yellow (amber) for the Saudi coding speed exceedance. I also got a yellow oil can when first working on the oil sensor, or if disconnected for a while with the car on. And now RED for some kind of oil system warning.
from going from US to AU then to Saudi, I somehow developed and still have the please refuel! message on the MFI!

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
I didn't have the please refuel message with the Saudi coding. It must've come from the AU coding. Maybe if you go back to US coding and leave it for 65 miles (100 km), it should clear. It appears some functions in the MFI will not set until se distance is driven. I figured out that red oil can - it was coming from setting the oil pressure in the adaptions from dynamic to static. Put it back to dynamic, and the red oil can is gone.

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't have the please refuel message with the Saudi coding. It must've come from the AU coding. Maybe if you go back to US coding and leave it for 65 miles (100 km), it should clear. It appears some functions in the MFI will not set until se distance is driven. I figured out that red oil can - it was coming from setting the oil pressure in the adaptions from dynamic to static. Put it back to dynamic, and the red oil can is gone.
the weired part is that I last changed to Saudi at around 12K... being that i am now at 17K it is certainly kind of odd but nothing to complain about:D

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Forgive me if I didn't see it plainly, but is is the insturment cluster needle sweeping at power on under "17" -> "Adaptation" -> "Staging" -> "Yes"?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The Saudi Coding enabled the please refuel message on our Passat (unless Jason checked another box that I wasn't aware of).

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
The Saudi Coding enabled the please refuel message on our Passat (unless Jason checked another box that I wasn't aware of).
Well, I never saw this before with Saudi coding, as I generally take my tank down to where the fuel pump icon illuminates before refueling, but did not get the message. Now with ROW coding, the first time I run the tank down, I got the text message on the MFI. What's the cluster # 705 or 507?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Well, I never saw this before with Saudi coding, as I generally take my tank down to where the fuel pump icon illuminates before refueling, but did not get the message. Now with ROW coding, the first time I run the tank down, I got the text message on the MFI. What's the cluster # 705 or 507?
Code:
Part No SW: 561 920 970 C    HW: 561 920 970 C
Component: KOMBI         H07 0507
Looks like 507. Our cluster does not have "indicator celebration" available. And of course like all 2012s it doesn't have the bluetooth connected indicator on every screen by the outside temp.

-J

carlrx7

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
I run the Germany Instrument coding (for radio power) and I get the 'Please Refill" message when its low, then pops up again when its really low.

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
All this talk about the "Please Refuel" message and range to empty on the MFI, Saudi and German coding... I haven't done anything with VCDS at all (yet) and I get the please refuel message when I'm at an 1/8th of a tank and a displayed range of 60 miles.

Is the German Instr. coding what it has from the factory? I'm able to power the radio on after shutting off the ignition in my car.

Hunted and pecked from a Galaxy S4.

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
All this talk about the "Please Refuel" message and range to empty on the MFI, Saudi and German coding... I haven't done anything with VCDS at all (yet) and I get the please refuel message when I'm at an 1/8th of a tank and a displayed range of 60 miles.

Is the German Instr. coding what it has from the factory? I'm able to power the radio on after shutting off the ignition in my car.

Hunted and pecked from a Galaxy S4.
NO! (American coding is standard) the only way is if it was modded with VCDS on a test-drive:p
or mildly used- perhaps a guy at the dealer has VCDS?

Last edited: