Encore Extended Warranty question

unclebob

TDI
silver 02 Golf GLS
My NB TDI is only 5 months old and I am considering getting extended warranty. My dealer offer SmartChoice2000's Encore for $1295(US). Is this a good warranty ? I am familular with GMC's extended warranty... but not these 3rd(?) party ones...

I am not concerned about the price, moreso who backs it ? I mean I don't want to buy it and 6 months later the company goes belly-up and I am left without my coverage and $$ which brings me to another question.

should I pay for it using a credit card (citibank)... for warranty on the warranty.. so if they do go belly up I am not totally screwed ?

thanks,

bob

JJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Unclebob,
I purchased the Encore Smart choice 2000 84 month/100K warranty when I closed the deal on my 2001 Jetta. The dealer originally wanted $995 for it. I declined. Finally they talked me into it at $595 and a $0 deductable. I never buy extended warranties, but at this price I couldn't resist. Haggle over the price and hopefully you can get it under $800.

My paperwork states that I must call National Warranty Insurance Company before making any repairs. I assume this is the company that backs the warranty. Heres the number, 1-800-334-8358
The credit card sounds like a good idea.
I would rather take my chances at $1295

kurt

When we bought our Golf in Austin (Charles Maund), the manager told us that there is a difference between third party warranties and the factory VW extended warranty. I think he said that lots of times, the third party warranties are not honored by Volkswagen repair shops due to problems getting paid back. Something about class action lawsuits and the like. It was a great sales pitch, and it may even be true, but I would inquire around for further info.

The jist of the dealer's story is that the VW warranty is accepted at all dealers for all work covered. You can also buy these from any VW dealer, so you can shop out of state as well to get the best deal. Maybe from one of those progressive dealers that sell stuff on the internet?

Good luck! -Kurt