www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You




Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 16th, 2009, 12:58   #1
lkchris
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA
Default Why I Have an All-Diesel Fleet

See Everyone Hates Ethanol
__________________
Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'03 New Beetle TDI, '07 E320 Bluetec, '07 GL320CDI
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 13:22   #2
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member
 
mrGutWrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Wallace, NC
Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris
__. Thanks, Kent. Agree 100%. Ethanol is one of the biggest scams ever perpetrated on the American people.
__________________
MrG, Wallace NC (2002 Jetta, Totalled by drunk, 11/'06) 130K mi in 4 1/2 years/~57 MPG lifetime; New car, '03 Jetta Wagon, CAT filter, .681 top gear, 270K mi. in 8 1/2 yr, ~52
mrGutWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 13:27   #3
dieseldorf
top post dawg
 
dieseldorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: MA
Default

The people who repair cars, small power equipement and motorcycles like it:

Quote:
The ethanol boosters aren't troubled that only a fraction of the 240 million cars and trucks on the road today can run with ethanol blends higher than 10%. It can damage engines and corrode automotive pipes, as well as impair some safety features, especially in older vehicles. It can also overwhelm pollution control systems like catalytic converters. The malfunctions multiply in other products that use gas, such as boats, snowmobiles, lawnmowers, chainsaws, etc.
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 13:37   #4
kcfoxie
Veteran Member
 
kcfoxie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Fuel Economy: see fuelly
Default

Where can one get a diesel chainsaw?
__________________
14 TDI Beetle: the grey lemon.
kcfoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 13:45   #5
dieseldorf
top post dawg
 
dieseldorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: MA
Default Russia!

dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 14:22   #6
kcfoxie
Veteran Member
 
kcfoxie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Fuel Economy: see fuelly
Default

Ok, what about a diesel scooter.

Blender.

um... portable wax machine...

(I'm shocked you found a diesel chainsaw)
__________________
14 TDI Beetle: the grey lemon.
kcfoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 14:26   #7
cessna
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Iowa
TDI(s): 2006 Jetta
Default

I'm a farmer that is an investor in 2 biodiesel and 3 ethanol plants. I've been using E85 to blend my own 50/50 eth/gasoline fuel and using it in a 1992 Toyota 4x4 for almost 8 years. 30% eth in a 1995 Ford Aspire for 7 years and 10% in a 2 cycle Lawnboy that needs oil added to the fuel for at least 10 years. I must be lucky because the mechanics aren't loving me. Also, did you realize that the subsidies that the government is paying out to ethanol is about 1/3 the amount that farmers used to get for subsidies because of cheap commodity prices. Most of the present Farm Bill goes to Food Stamps and such now.You folks that hate ethanol are just falling for the propaganda the Grocery Manufacturers are feeding you. They're just a bunch of crooks that are mad because they can't steal corn and other commodities anymore. Even at $7 per bushel(56 lbs. per bushel) corn that was attained because of investment fund buying a bag of corn chips has just pennies worth of corn in the bag---figure it out yourself. Corn is less than $4 now but do you see prices coming down in the grocery store? This is the problem with less than 2% of the population being farmers-- you city people haven't a clue about farm issues.
cessna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 14:34   #8
bloc
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Austin, Tx
Default

My issue is with Ethanol being sold as something it isnt.. "green".
__________________
2013 Touareg TDI
bloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 14:36   #9
kcfoxie
Veteran Member
 
kcfoxie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Fuel Economy: see fuelly
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloc
My issue is with Ethanol being sold as something it isnt.. "green".
define green. carbon responsible, renewable, sustainable or some mixture of those 4 buzzwords?
__________________
14 TDI Beetle: the grey lemon.
kcfoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 15:59   #10
velociT
Veteran Member
 
velociT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Not Austin, TX
Default

First of all, Wesley Clark is a dishonest super douche. Google his military past.

Second, I found it funny when ethanol first got popular, and then people started whining that corn prices were going up....

What did ya think was gonna happen with a huge increase in demand?

I'm still on the fence about E85. Only upside I see is its wonderful octane rating.
__________________
TDT for PD Mafia Member #002
Then: 06 Jetta TDI 5M *sold*
Now: 17 Ram 3500 CTD, 87 M35A2C
velociT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 16:02   #11
kcfoxie
Veteran Member
 
kcfoxie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Fuel Economy: see fuelly
Default

wonderful octane rating that no one has made a nice crotchrocket or turbo charged SRT4 to utilize .......
__________________
14 TDI Beetle: the grey lemon.
kcfoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 16:11   #12
velociT
Veteran Member
 
velociT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Not Austin, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcfoxie
wonderful octane rating that no one has made a nice crotchrocket or turbo charged SRT4 to utilize .......
The STi/Evo/Supra guys blend it in as cheap race gas
__________________
TDT for PD Mafia Member #002
Then: 06 Jetta TDI 5M *sold*
Now: 17 Ram 3500 CTD, 87 M35A2C
velociT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 13:37   #13
Powder Hound
Veteran Member
 
Powder Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Conkud, New Hampshiyuh, USA
Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcfoxie
wonderful octane rating that no one has made a nice crotchrocket or turbo charged SRT4 to utilize .......
Because anhydrous methanol is easier to get and works better.
__________________
You always pay for what you get. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
It is called dope because it does make you dumb.
Thinking outside the box is difficult for some. They're afraid they'll fall off the edge of the box and be lost to oblivion.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 18:02   #14
sassyrel
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: aplington,iowa
Fuel Economy: 55-60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna
I'm a farmer that is an investor in 2 biodiesel and 3 ethanol plants. I've been using E85 to blend my own 50/50 eth/gasoline fuel and using it in a 1992 Toyota 4x4 for almost 8 years. 30% eth in a 1995 Ford Aspire for 7 years and 10% in a 2 cycle Lawnboy that needs oil added to the fuel for at least 10 years. I must be lucky because the mechanics aren't loving me. Also, did you realize that the subsidies that the government is paying out to ethanol is about 1/3 the amount that farmers used to get for subsidies because of cheap commodity prices. Most of the present Farm Bill goes to Food Stamps and such now.You folks that hate ethanol are just falling for the propaganda the Grocery Manufacturers are feeding you. They're just a bunch of crooks that are mad because they can't steal corn and other commodities anymore. Even at $7 per bushel(56 lbs. per bushel) corn that was attained because of investment fund buying a bag of corn chips has just pennies worth of corn in the bag---figure it out yourself. Corn is less than $4 now but do you see prices coming down in the grocery store? This is the problem with less than 2% of the population being farmers-- you city people haven't a clue about farm issues.
you actually need to say more about it on this forum--cause as you said--very few people understand the truth about it--like potus
__________________
96 passat wagon- black---438,387 --!!!! out of commission now!! walts ccv, and gregs cat filter--burnin the bean----------96 passat wagon--green--rebuilt--222,368 miles--dang near new!!!!!!!!! gregs cat---just got another wagon,white,smacked-will fix!!
sassyrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 18:04   #15
sassyrel
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: aplington,iowa
Fuel Economy: 55-60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcfoxie
Ok, what about a diesel scooter.

Blender.

um... portable wax machine...

(I'm shocked you found a diesel chainsaw)
the armed services has one now--and has had for about three years--believe its kawasaki???
__________________
96 passat wagon- black---438,387 --!!!! out of commission now!! walts ccv, and gregs cat filter--burnin the bean----------96 passat wagon--green--rebuilt--222,368 miles--dang near new!!!!!!!!! gregs cat---just got another wagon,white,smacked-will fix!!
sassyrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.11589 seconds with 10 queries
[Output: 122.99 Kb. compressed to 101.42 Kb. by saving 21.58 Kb. (17.54%)]