A Scandalous conversation.....

towforce

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Red
I'm the owner of Mk4 Jetta Wagon with a BEW and 440,000 kms.... best vehicle I have ever owned. Like anything with wheels, eventually keeping those wheels rolling goes from regular maintenance to a hobby for the love of the car.

Being practical, with 500,000km on the horizon perhaps its time to think about a replacement.

My scandalous conversations have included the thought that (since VW has screwed diesels forever....) what about a good old gas version of the latest Golf Sportswagon? (rumor has it that it might even be available in a standard transmission 4motion system?

I know... surrounded by diesel enthusiast on this forum might not be the right place to ask this question but in all seriousness, How do the VW gas engines stack up for durability against, lets say the last diesel that VW produced. I figure its a fare question as from the input of the transmission it is essentially the same bucket of nuts, bolts and leaky sunroofs :rolleyes:

Martin

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Keeping the Jetta Wagon going would cost far less than a new car, but sometimes you just want something new.

A new stereo with Apple Car Play and Android auto, and replacement of whatever is worn out might cost a few thousand dollars, and give you ten more years of driving along with some of the modern conveniences found in a new car. But it won’t be forty thousand like a 4motion Wagon would be. (In Canada)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The gas 4Mo wagons have the Gen3 EA888 engines, been around for about 3-4 years, longevity hasn’t really proven out. VW has addressed issues on previous gens but also “improved” the engine in others, we’ll see how the improvements fair. Carbon build up is my main concern once the miles oil up.

As far as driving goes, the torque of the 1.8t is impressive down low (for a gasser), but I still find myself in 2-3k more than the diesel which I guess is to be expected.

While I was able to milk killer MPGs out of my old CJAA, it’s tougher and tougher to get good MPGs in the Alltrack. City driving I just drinks the fuel forget about trying to get anything above 20, highway maybe able to get 32 but any speed above 70 it just tanks. Lots of people reporting mixed economy in the high 20s. I have the DSG and def puts a disadvantage with such tall gearing, 6MT has taller gearing

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Martin,

The new features on Golf Alltrack are impressive. I don't know all details since I do not own one, but I suspect the list is at least as long as on my 2015 GSW TDI SE (not even SEL):
Really...
-rain sensor-overrides long intermittent setting in variable rain, smart, it also stops when you stop the car if it is light rain, even in non-intermittent mode
-with only front wipers on, put it in reverse, and get a rear window wipe
-Programmable (in coding using VCDS) all windows down or up (including sunroof open/close) with remote, awesome (I think I can also program in coding an auto close response to rain-not sure about that).
-When headlamps are on, foglamp on the turning side lights up as you slow down (maybe at 15mph) when turn signal is on, then fades out as you straighten out after the turn, really smart
-When headlamps are on, foglamp on turning side turns on from stop or slow speed when you turn the wheel that way even if the turn signal is NOT on, smart- really lights up the area you need to see!
-front headlamps track with your steering-the movement is smooth and very effective, awesome
-remoteless (in your pocket) lock/unlock just by touching the outside (lock), or inside (unlock) of the driver side door handle (this also applies to the passenger side door, AND the hatch !! -for opening), really smart...arms kind of full?? I use this all the time, especially the hatch.
-125V AC outlet in the hatch (short extension cord brings it to backseat for the kids). Nice- comes in handy.
-paddle shifters give you much more control to help improve fuel economy and passing/acceleration power. YOU control rpm at speed, not the car's computer. These paddles are much more responsive (not over-ridden so much) as in my BMW twin turbo 335D-the paddles in that thing were ornamental!
-useful and cool looking subtle led lighting in inner door opener recess, light strip on the upper front door, floor lighting (the floor lighting modes are programmable in code with VCDS). This does not remind me of the bling stylings of the Audis. It is more subtle, more Volkswagen.
-all of the other standard stuff we expect no such as variable speed sensitive volume, with faster engine warmups (water pump clutch), and smoother engine with the twin counterbalance shafts, other adjustable stuff in the menus.

The only real complaint that I have is no Aux input. I had this in my 2014 JSW. It was a 3mm plug. The other thing I do not like is the new "fixed" OEM tune. It is gutless unless you force it to respond with much more throttle pedal pressure, and when you do, mileage plummets, even with modest acceleration. Not like a TDI...but a tune will fix this. Soon.

Bottom line, I own an '03 Jetta TDI Wagen. It is a nice road car, and with a 5speed, very pleasant to drive. It has sunroof, leather seats, but the leather is hardened, heated seats are failed, suspension is shot, lights are weak and the lenses are frosted over. I keep it as a spare car, and I want to teach my kids to use a clutch with it. I'll have to put some money into it to make it safe for them! But once I get a tune, I will more often choose the 2015. Don't feel bad for wanting the long list of features. They are all very good reasons to upgrade.

Last edited:

towforce

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Red
dubStrom,

Hah, funny in a way.... you list off all those tech'y features and run the other way!

For me its low tech all the way, If I was buying I would go Trendline in the Golf just to avoid the potential of a leaky sun roof. I'm so anti bling when I bought my Mk4 Jetta new, I had them pull the aluminum rims that came in the package and put on a set of steel wheels to avoid the risk nailing a pothole and having to pay through the nose for an aluminum VW rim... after all, there is a steel wheel in the trunk of every VW at the wreckers, like new and cheap.

The only time my Mk4 saw time in the dealer service bay was for recalls and minor warranty stuff, never let them touch it from day one, 4 timing belts later and I still wont let them touch it.

Might take a Golf Sportwagon Trendline (6speed manual and 4 motion) for a test drive just to check out how they drive with the gas engine. Canadian Dealer list with PDI is under $28,000, so with taxes , under $32,000 which come to think of it, is the about the same price I paid for my Jetta Mk4 back in 2005.

On the other hand, Mike_04 is probably right, I should drive my old Wagon until something explodes! Its clean, its tight and is fun to drive (I've just recently done a full suspension refresh)... if I could just get the sun roof or what ever is letting water in solved..... thing is, at some point, all those little things start to become a pain.....

Thanks for the comments

Martin

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I just picked up a 2017 Golf wagon with 4motion. and no hole in the roof.

there is a handy usb and audio input plug in front of the DSG control (unless it is a headphone jack, which would not be the smartest thing to put in a car)

pretty good discount on end of model year cars in stock. but the same should be true next year this time.

towforce

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Red
Mike, Good to hear you can get them without the "hole" :rolleyes: Too bad Steel wheels have gone extinct or do they still offer a full size steel spare?

Going to bug my dealer for drive in a 6 speed /4Motion no hole, then drag him to the end of the year to see what sort of discount they can offer.

Curious about the 4Motion... basically a viscus drive system to the rear? What sort of reliability goes along with this system? Also, has anybody got a aluminum skid plate cut for this platform yet?

Until then, Diesel is still 20 cents a liter cheaper than gas so it will be the Mk4 BEW till the end of 2018.

Thanks

Martin

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My Wagon is still my daily driver, will hit 357K miles today. I have a '15 GSW TDI sitting in the garage which I drive occasionally, it's here as the eventual replacement for the '02. And although I love the '02, the new car is a big step forward. I'm with you, some of the tech features are of little importance to me. I wish I could shut the backup camera off. Turning my head works fine.

If you maintain your '05 it can be a pleasant and reliable car for a long time, provided rust isn't an issue where you live. One concern is that an accident would cause a significant loss for me, as there's no way I could recover what I have in the car in an insurance claim. But if you're OK with that and you like the '05 you might want to keep it going. I bought the '15 because I didn't think I'd ever see another small(ish) TDI Wagon with a manual transmission in North America.

I don't know the current status of buybacks and fixes in Canada, but one option would be to buy a bought-back '15 or a leftover one, if you can find one.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mike, Good to hear you can get them without the "hole" :rolleyes: Too bad Steel wheels have gone extinct or do they still offer a full size steel spare?
Going to bug my dealer for drive in a 6 speed /4Motion no hole, then drag him to the end of the year to see what sort of discount they can offer.
Curious about the 4Motion... basically a viscus drive system to the rear? What sort of reliability goes along with this system? Also, has anybody got a aluminum skid plate cut for this platform yet?
Until then, Diesel is still 20 cents a liter cheaper than gas so it will be the Mk4 BEW till the end of 2018.
Thanks
Martin
4Mo on the '17 is the Haldex5 it uses an electromechanical hydraulic pump in the rear diff to engage or disengage a clutch pack out back, depending on what the computer needs.

On the Gen5, reliability is kinda unproven over 1-200K+ miles other than people beat the crap out of it on the Golf R putting +400HP thru 1/4 mile runs. I believe the same system is used on other transverse euro systems, volvos so it should be solid but I'm holding out my reservation. Maintenance is typical fluid change out which is every 30-40K, mind you this is on top of the DSG service if you have it.

I believe Evo has a proper skid plate got the Mk7, with proper front mounting brackets. The Alltrack has the VW OEM reinforce belly pan that's quite stout, and leaves me asking for nothing more, not sure if the GSW 4Mo has this as well.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
dubStrom,
Hah, funny in a way.... you list off all those tech'y features and run the other way!
For me its low tech all the way, If I was buying I would go Trendline in the Golf just to avoid the potential of a leaky sun roof. I'm so anti bling when I bought my Mk4 Jetta new, I had them pull the aluminum rims that came in the package and put on a set of steel wheels to avoid the risk nailing a pothole and having to pay through the nose for an aluminum VW rim... after all, there is a steel wheel in the trunk of every VW at the wreckers, like new and cheap.
The only time my Mk4 saw time in the dealer service bay was for recalls and minor warranty stuff, never let them touch it from day one, 4 timing belts later and I still wont let them touch it.
Might take a Golf Sportwagon Trendline (6speed manual and 4 motion) for a test drive just to check out how they drive with the gas engine. Canadian Dealer list with PDI is under $28,000, so with taxes , under $32,000 which come to think of it, is the about the same price I paid for my Jetta Mk4 back in 2005.
On the other hand, Mike_04 is probably right, I should drive my old Wagon until something explodes! Its clean, its tight and is fun to drive (I've just recently done a full suspension refresh)... if I could just get the sun roof or what ever is letting water in solved..... thing is, at some point, all those little things start to become a pain.....
Thanks for the comments
Martin
4 Motion models in the US are gassers only. Fabulous if you can get a TDI 4Motion in North America.

I did not run the other way. My 2015 GSW DSG with paddle shifters is better for Winter, so I am driving it. I love all of those techy features. Sunroofs generally leak only when the drains are blocked. Had to fix that in my 2003 Jetta TDI wagen, but it was easy.

My message was that the new "techy" features are useful and worth an upgrade. OEM bluetooth works great, and I got the Fender system with a subwoofer. Love it.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I was pretty much in towforce's position a year ago. Had a 2003 wagon that I'd done up just the way I liked it (Malone 4; 6sp. MT; Pioneer CarPlay deck; etc.), and spending most of my time at 120+km/h, I'd still get 1100-1200km on a tank of fuel.

But then I saw a helluva deal on a 2015 TDI Sportwagon (yes wagon in Canada for some reason), took the plunge, and repeatedly asked myself why the hell I was spending almost half a year's salary to replace something I was pretty happy with....

50 weeks and 30K km later, I'm very pleased I made that decision to buy the new (to me) car, even though I really dislike the DSG (prefer MT SO much), the MDI (stereo/entertainment/Nav) sucks, and I really have to try to get even 800km out of a tank of fuel (much smaller tank; actually fuel economy is about 5-8% worse).

Thing is, at 120km/h, it's just so nice and quiet and comfortable - but in a good way. The car interior warms up ridiculously quickly; steering wheel controls are awesome; ginormous sunroof gives a large feeling of openness to it; his/her heating / AC temp controls save many arguments in the car; and there's still tonnes of stuff I can do with VCDS to "make it mine".
While I could live without a lot of the frills in the Highline (SEL), one of the biggest deal-makers for me are the seat. The seats have much better thigh and side bolsters compared to the lower-trim lines, which makes them a lot closer to how the Recaros in my 2002 Golf feel - which allows this tired old body to get out of the car with a lot less creaks and kinks.

The biggest issue with the purchase: My wife liked driving my car so much, we "had" to buy another one. So she got a Golf. :D

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
I also have a BEW wagon that I love, imagine many cars will come and go but it has to remain a staple. What else could I fit an engine crane, full engine swap with transmission etc in the back of while getting 40+MPG?

With that said, I've spent a good amount of time with the EA288s including daily driving them for awhile. They're incredible and the interior quality is top notch. The 2 dr 1.8T golfs are also fairly appealing, and they're putting down 220HP/250lb-ft on our dyno while making bottom end torque like the CRs (which go on to make another 50lb-ft).

Don't do it, you won't regret it but just about every other car you'll end up driving will seem bad by comparison. There is a particular freedom to having a cheaper well used car that you don't have to be as worried about; I for one like my big bumper MK2s, great for pushing around shopping carts and being hit with doors. Would consider picking up a mk7 1.8T golf and keeping the wagon for more adventurous use. I'll be putting a 2018 alltrack through it's paces here in a bit, feel free to pm me in a few months for details/updates.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
The cost of keeping a 2013+ Golf running is going to 440k km is going to blow the Mk4 out of the water. Don't do it, regardless of fuel type. The Mexican VWs are trash in comparison to the German ones.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Surely the timing belt (or something in that pathway) has to be due for change by now...(?)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The cost of keeping a 2013+ Golf running is going to 440k km is going to blow the Mk4 out of the water. Don't do it, regardless of fuel type. The Mexican VWs are trash in comparison to the German ones.
The only MKIV TDIs were assembled in Germany are the 99.5 and early 2000 Golfs, and the '02-06 Jetta Wagons. Those are a very small percentage of all the MKIV TDIs sold here. All Jetta Sedans were assembled in Mexico, as were New Beetles. After 2000 Golfs were assembled in Brazil.

My family has owned 6 MKIV VWs. Currently we have one from Mexico, one from Brazil, two from Germany. I'd be hard pressed to tell a difference between the cars based on country of manufacture. My MKVII GSW (Mexico) seems ever bit as solid as my MKIV Wagon (Germany). And one of the best TDIs we've owned was my son's MK3 Jetta. Assembled in Mexico.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
MK2 golf vs jetta there are noticeable differences in build quality, particularly in the frame welds and seam sealing, the golfs are rotting apart and jettas are still going strong. At the time the jetta was also a better built more expensive option so that's somewhat to be expected. I've seen some weird minor stuff on the MK3s, like gobs of weld or seam sealer that's a bit too thin in spots, plus they corrode badly (just like BMWs and Mercs of the era) but nothing to write home about. Lets also not forget about the strikes in Mexico in 92. There was a strike, 40+ day lockout, and then all 15K union employees were fired. They brought in armed cops, the government sided with VW, and employees were re-hired after they agreed to new terms. [http://www.nytimes.com/1993/11/13/business/company-news-painful-lessons-for-mexican-labor.html].

This is why 93 model years were rare, believe VW even brought some in from overseas for Canada and California and the rest of America had a spring 94 launch. A lot of employees that came back would have had to just to make a living, can't imagine they were inclined to do as good of a job as other plants around the world where long time employees had been building the cars for awhile.

Where the car is assembled is not a concern this century, on the mk4 chassis there's probably minor if any noticeable build quality differences. The glove boxes, arm rests, and handbrake buttons still break on the German ones, I have one myself. I've seen plenty of MK4s in Eastern Canada with 300K+ miles on them that have had a decade + of -20C heavily salted winters and they hold up better than just about any other car on the road.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
A lot of the MK2 Golfs and Jettas were not built in either Mexico or Germany, but in Westmoreland PA. Now THAT plant had a lousy quality reputation.

Black Stick

TDI
Trend line
Surely the timing belt (or something in that pathway) has to be due for change by now...(?)
Yes. Timing belt at 210,000km. Done by my trusted mechanic using all the VW parts. I forgot I also had to replace a part in the ventilation system (made clicking noise) for less than $100. That’s it.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I hope I get the same first 230K km out of my 2015 GSW as well. :)

So, just out of curiosity, what's the parts cost / labour time for timing belt job on the Mk7?
What all gets replaced?

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt

So, just out of curiosity, what's the parts cost / labour time for timing belt job on the Mk7?
What all gets replaced?

1250 km per tank ? wow, impressive!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
To be clear: That was the old 2003 wagon (and currently un-licensed 2002 Golf) both done up with all the goodies).

With the Mk7, I'm lucky to make it to 800km (got to 830km once - and then could *barely* get 50L into the tank; I miss the 63L tank of the Mk4, that's for sure!)

Black Stick

TDI
Trend line

What all gets replaced?
I am on vacation, but I will pull the invoice when I get back. I think it was around $1,000 with labour.

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
How does the gas engine stack up? Expect to replace all the plastic bits around 8 years in (coolant stuff, timing stuff/internal parts), if there are timing chains on the cams or engine around the same time (going by history here, VR6 and older 1.8T weak spots). So once in its life cycle of 500k some bigger expenses. The rest will be equal to the tdi version.
Some things I have noticed two weeks into a brand new TDI mk7 sportwagon dsg, the car is so quiet in every respect. It rides and handles well except in truck ruts-it moves around way too much in those conditions which are common on Ontario and Quebec highways now. The paint is very thin, not nearly as many layers or thickness compared to older models, almost Asian like paint. The technology has really progressed and features even on trendlines is pretty good. The spare tire is now a space saver type even though the space is huge.
One downside to the car you are considering, the Trendline gas engine models have the worlds most basic and ugly steering wheel...for a $26k car it is unacceptable. Looks like something from a $9999 Mirage or Accent...

Now something that you may not have considered. The traction control and ESP on these cars is very very heavy handed and clumsy. I would test drive a 4motion very carefully in the snow and wet before buying one-reason being it might drive like a minivan...and engage the rear too late or not allow any benefit. I drove ours in the snow for the first time and it is not "fun" to drive, it has good traction and all, but start trying to slide it around corners and you loose everything, no throttle and no chance to recover a slide...I have not experimented with the ESP off feature yet, but something tells me the traction control cannot be defeated and it is really overkill when it kicks in (on DSG). I am running Nokian R2 narrow snow tires and love to drive in the snow, my work requires it (ski industry). Not being able to save a car once it looses traction is a terrible thing, the Audi quattros I have owned one just had to nail the throttle to get out of trouble and it always pulled through. My Mk4 was great in the snow once I added a thick rear sway bar to promote oversteer instead of understeer. not sure what to do with this mk7 yet, it is still new and learning to live with it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Now something that you may not have considered. The traction control and ESP on these cars is very very heavy handed and clumsy. I would test drive a 4motion very carefully in the snow and wet before buying one-reason being it might drive like a minivan...and engage the rear too late or not allow any benefit. I drove ours in the snow for the first time and it is not "fun" to drive, it has good traction and all, but start trying to slide it around corners and you loose everything, no throttle and no chance to recover a slide...I have not experimented with the ESP off feature yet, but something tells me the traction control cannot be defeated and it is really overkill when it kicks in (on DSG). I am running Nokian R2 narrow snow tires and love to drive in the snow, my work requires it (ski industry). Not being able to save a car once it looses traction is a terrible thing, the Audi quattros I have owned one just had to nail the throttle to get out of trouble and it always pulled through. My Mk4 was great in the snow once I added a thick rear sway bar to promote oversteer instead of understeer. not sure what to do with this mk7 yet, it is still new and learning to live with it.
On the TSI 4Mo there is ESC off (which isn't really off) and there's ESC Sport, if you hold the button down for 10 seconds or something like that. That's how you get launch control activated.

With ESC off, it'll will allow wheel slip for grip, but soon as you start going sideways, it'll start locking up wheels to gain control of the slid (IE with ESC off no perfectly executed hand brake slides)

You can code the ABS module it so the button is one press ESC Sport Mode, then 10 second hold "ESC fully ultimately absolutely off" for when you want to really impress the 16 year old girls.

As for the 4Mo kicking in it's been very very seamless and hardly notice and sort of transition.

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
Can you induce full power slides around corners in the 4motion? Not with the hand brake but power induced ones or does it take power away and provoke understeer as a result? My tdi is no fun in the snow, have to see if an OBD traction defeat is possible as with other cars. I know the hand brake causes all sorts of electronic nannies and the car sliding uselessly and no hope of recovery...technology is not always progress...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My hopes are yes, this will be my first full winter with it and I have it coded with "ESC sport" and "ESC Off". You should be able to code the TDI the same.

There's a parking lot near my house of an abandoned Catholic school that's is a proving ground for donuts, hope to visit it at least once when snow flies.

towforce

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Red
Thanks for the input since I posted this thread. Plenty of stuff to consider, yet not much that I can do about it. Like the Manual transmission, more and more the auto makers (In North America) are taking away the simple traditional drive lines that I was born with and selling us something "better" and telling us we like it.

Case in point... Subaru's Outback now only comes in an Automatic or one of these new CVT's .

The inevitable is I will have to replace my Mk4, the reality is it might be quite a few km's more down the road (fingers crossed). To be honest, I don't often get to drive this car but have managed to put a few km's behind the wheel over the last few days. Even with the 440,000 km's ... it still impresses me as to how nice a vehicle the MK4 Jetta BEW is to drive.

If it puked a turbo or some other dramatic "event" I might be inspired to move on... Given what has been mentioned here, I'm not sure if the new Sport Wagon will be the direction I would go.

Oh, regarding the mention that the Trendline has a crappy cheap steering wheel? Trust me, I doubt I would notice! I'm such a knuckle dragging Neanderthal, If it points the car where I want it to go.... all good.

Something else about the new platform that I have noticed is there may be issues trying to lift it ( On my MK4 wagon I'm running a combo of Front, 24mm shim and VR springs... Rear towing/wagon springs and achieved a nice overall lift) Sounds like any sort of lift option will probably muck up ESC or stability system. More things to consider given the miles of gravel road we use....

Cheers

Martin

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
We have springs on order to lift the GSW. Should be here in a few months.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A lift on the gassers AWD vs TDI is going to be different as its the golf R rear end vs torsion beam.

I haven't seen anything for the 4Mo, but hopes are the new Tig MBQ springs should work. Also people have been installing Golf R springs for a lowering, but notice a sag in the rear so also install TT pads for a slight lift to level it out.

I wonder if the TT pads would work as a small lift.

As for messing up the ESC, I think its more reactionary than predicting, now if you get the DAP with lane assist and all those other nanny features, that may mess it up, I've heard the calibration is a long expensive process.