What diesel brand and type should be used on 2002 tdi?

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
I just bought a 2002 jetta tdi with distributor pump.I am totally new to diesels.So can anybody please tell me that what brand and grade of diesel i should use in my car here in Vancouver Canada or i can fill it up at any gas station with any type of diesel.Thanks

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
D2, at any high volume outlet (i.e. truck stop), unless you are certain that a corner station has good fuel.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Given that a good portion of VWs are diesel in Canada (40%?), turnover should be good at many stations.

CentralFloridaTDIguy

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
according to VW...

you should try to run Diesel that has a Cetane value of 50 or higher...

otherwise your engine will not run optimally and your mpgs/kpl will be less than if you use the correct fuel

that is my story...

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
CentralFloridaTDIguy said:
you should try to run Diesel that has a Cetane value of 50 or higher...
where is this fabled fuel? :confused:

CentralFloridaTDIguy

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
in Canada and in Europe it is available...

tditom said:
where is this fabled fuel? :confused:
they have higher minimum Cetane standards than in the US.... also I believe that you can get 50 Cetane diesel which they call Premium Diesel or Diesel V Power (Shell)....
being that diesel is mostly used for trucking, construction, farming, and ship and train transportation in the US, there has not been a ground swell of demand for better grades of Cetane (most commercial uses of diesel are fine with 40 Cetane):cool:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
CentralFloridaTDIguy said:
they have higher minimum Cetane standards than in the US....
i'm pretty sure that 40 cetane is the minimum for both US and Canada. since the OP is from Canada, it doesn't really matter what the Europeans have, eh?

However, I do agree that finding "premium" diesel is a good goal. The problem is you may be paying more and not knowing what quality you are getting.

Last edited:

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
Thanks guys for your suggestions.How is the normal diesel sold by husky and chevron?Is it 50 cetane??

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
My car seems to love Chevron + a hit of silver power service. I use PS even with bio-diesel but Chevron seems to net me better MPGs consistently.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You will not find 50 cetane diesel fuel through normal service stations in Canada. It is also not posted on the pump. And you will find that the car runs fine on normal #2 diesel fuel, which is all you will find at any normal service station.

I normally use biodiesel blend from a local truck stop, but failing that, Shell V-Power Diesel or Sunoco Gold Diesel are premium diesel fuels available here (Ontario).

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Guys, this discussion needs to filed under the

Drive more, worry less

category.

The end user has virtually no influence over the cetane number regardless of where you shop. Amoco used to offer an uber-fuel in the upper Midwest (USA). That fuel may no longer be available.

Worry about "high" cetane or "low" cetane when you start having cold weather starting problems.

XXX_er

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
amitsekhon said:
Thanks guys for your suggestions.How is the normal diesel sold by husky and chevron?Is it 50 cetane??
In canada I have always just run whatever I find at the pump ,I have never noticed any difference between regular and premium diesal

BUT ,if you come north BE CAREFUL especialy in the shoulder season (like right now) ,you can easily make it to prince george on less than a tank where your TDi may not start depending on how cold it is due to unwinterized fuel ... fill up BEFORE the engine cools down when you get where you are going