TDI timing belt

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
There is some miscommunication going on with what the OP is saying and what we are thinking he is saying.

OP - the last pic you send with the IP is clearly showing the pin is not in the correct hole. The top of the IP is actually tilted over and is marked by the smooth area you circled in yellow. Make sure the pin of the pump is there before you put the belt on.

At this point you need to redo things. Here is what I would do.

1) Get crank to TDC with the mark on the bell housing of the trans.
2) Make sure the cam lock tool can enter the back of it. (Yeah, you are going to need to remove the valve cover and vacuum pump).
3) Loosen the tensioner.
4) Pop the cam sprocket and remove the sprocket
5) move the belt off the IP sprocket.
6) Rotate the IP sprocket until you can see the correct hole and stab the pin.
7) As been said before, loosen the three IP sprocket bolts and turn the bolt heads slightly to the left of center of the slots (which you do by turning the sprocket slightly to the right).
8) Put the belt on the IP sprocket.
9) put the cam sprocket on and thread the bolt enough to install it but allow the sprocket to turn freely from the cam.
10) Double check the crank mark to make sure it has not moved.
11) Tension the belt and tighten tensioner nut.
12) double check the crank mark.
13) torque the cam sprocket bolt.
14) torque the IP sprocket bolts.

It will start up.

Ok I did find a hole that the pin lines up but it’s at the bottom of the ip and not at the top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Ok I did find a hole that the pin lines up but it’s at the bottom of the ip and not at the top

There is one at the top in line with that flat spot on top. Since you are having difficulty finding it, I would recommend you remove the 3 IP bolts completely so you can remove the sprocket.

The notch in the hub should be at the 1 oclock position if you are looking the motor from the passenger side. Orient the hub there and put the sprocket back on and then pin it.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Last edited:

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
The link below shows a picture of the front of the pump without anything in the way.
You can see at the top where the pin goes.
You must use the holy at the top! It's the right hole...

https://www.ebay.com/i/254386587346...srM-rCMjYA5Nt7WwknIfcOT_bV0qgVjRoCPZsQAvD_BwE

The first and last of this next link show both sides clearly and how it lines up with the top.

https://www.cascadegerman.com/product/injection-pump-alh-11mm-new/

this is after getting it running

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I would revisit the how to above, double check the timing and reset the codes. See if they come back, or go away.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
You need to make sure the engine is above 80C before checking the timing.

If you are not familiar on how to display a timing graph, go to 1 - Engine, then to Measuring Blocks, then, press GO on the first measuring block, press the Basic Settings button, then TDI timing.

From there you will need to select the correct engine choice. The graph will display.

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon

If you are not familiar on how to display a timing graph, go to 1 - Engine, then to Measuring Blocks, then, press GO on the first measuring block, press the Basic Settings button, then TDI timing.

From there you will need to select the correct engine choice. The graph will display.

I finally got my own VCDS cable from Ross-tech. I can’t get bank 2 down in range

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon

This one says that the IP is to hot. I have no more adjustment to be able to lower the numbers. Any suggestions

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon

This one says that the IP is to hot. I have no more adjustment to be able to lower the numbers. Any suggestions

And I did wait until the car warmed up this time to start checking it

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
"Timing Too Advanced To Be Plotted" most likely means there's still something wrong with how you're aligning the belt and the three sprockets, unfortunately.

The requirement for 80C is coolant temp, not fuel temp, in case that's confusing... and in general the only way to get there is a good hard drive.

But it's a small thing that would move the timing graph a bit... the fact that you're off the scale suggests something is quite off.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Or as he said a minute ago, you need to adjust the timing to retard it.
So if you're all the way to one side of advance then go the other way and see if you can center it, then check timing graph.

Also select the correct engine, it makes a difference...

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
The injection pump timing is too advanced. Simple to correct.

Loosen the 3 IP bolts enough to allow the sprocket to turn. Use a 22 mm wrench or equivilant and turn the center bolt slightly counter clockwise. When I say slight, I mean like 1 to 2 mm at most. Tighten the bolts and recheck while running.

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
Ok guys I’m fighting a losing battle here. I’m in Ohio and would be willing to pay someone to come to my house and help me and show me what I’ve done wrong on my car with the timing belt. I’ve adjusted the IP all the way clockwise and all the way counter clockwise and can’t get the numbers to fall in range. I just don’t know where I went wrong or if it’s something stupidly easy I’m missing. Since I got it running again there’s a ticking noise that I can find so if someone could please help I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
When I looked at the graph you posted last time I saw a single line going up. Assuming you chose the right engine, when you turn the sprocket all the way the other way, you should see no line. Then if you slowly go back the other way it'll come into spec.

Does the line drop off when adjusted the other way, or does it stay all the way to the top?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=5577226#post5577226

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
When I looked at the graph you posted last time I saw a single line going up. Assuming you chose the right engine, when you turn the sprocket all the way the other way, you should see no line. Then if you slowly go back the other way it'll come into spec.

Does the line drop off when adjusted the other way, or does it stay all the way to the top?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=5577226#post5577226

It stays the same and it either says temper is to hot or it’s to far advanced. I think I’m choosing the right engine. Mine should be an ALH right?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
It should say built >99.
There are two for the alh build dates , one for before 99 the other after 99.
You want you timing numbers to be between 52 -72, that the middle line to the upper line, your showing 272 i think.
I have a feeling your off a tooth on the IP.
I would go back to the beginning, it’s easy to mess up.
If done correctly you will always fall within range of upper and lower limits and the car will start, normally you slightly below the center Line and one or two very tiny movements on the IP sprocket dials it it.
Don’t give up.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
If you were closer man , I’d definitely help you out....

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
North west NJ

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Seriously is a tooth or two out, otherwise, it wouldn't start.
Like I wrote before, turn that sprocket one tooth to the right when putting the belt on so it stretches back when tensioning.
I'm quite a bit further away from you myself.

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
Seriously is a tooth or two out, otherwise, it wouldn't start.
Like I wrote before, turn that sprocket one tooth to the right when putting the belt on so it stretches back when tensioning.
I'm quite a bit further away from you myself.

Forgive me as this is my first time doing this. So start over and when you say one or two teeth put is that on the belt or pulley for IP?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Forgive me as this is my first time doing this. So start over and when you say one or two teeth put is that on the belt or pulley for IP?

That helps to know exactly where you want to go. Just be sure you know which way you want to go before you begin.

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
That helps to know exactly where you want to go. Just be sure you know which way you want to go before you begin.

And should I take the serpentine belt off or leave it on?

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
And should I take the serpentine belt off or leave it on?

Since it VCDS says my timing is to far advanced I’d want to go clockwise according to pdf to retard the timing