//// How long have parts lasted for you ? ////

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi All,

Been doing a fair amount of work on the car as of late (mainly replacing stuff BEFORE they go bad because I drive my car for work and cannot (or do not) want to break down out in the middle of the night out in the middle of who knows where.

Anyways, I thought it might be informational / helpful for people to know how far parts can go or how long they can last before the could be or should be changed out.

I realize the factory manual had guidelines for things like timing belts etc .... but other stuff not so much so ....

With that here are my findings / experiences ....

Timing belt - I wimp out and do it at the recommended 100K interval ... I think I can go further because I mainly do highway miles but last time at 90K or so the guru found some pulleys with rough bearings .... sigh...

Hoses - I have 335K on my original coolant hoses .... even vac hoses! .... I did change out the fuel lines from the firewall to the fuel filter and from the thermostatic "T" to the IP not because I needed to BUT because I though they were letting air in .... I think it was the "T" but by then the hoses were changed .... The fuel hoses and T were at 315K miles.

I replaced the Alternator at 315K because voltage on the scan guage were reading in the 13.6 V range .... When removed the 1 way pulley was shot .... New one is consistantly is 14+ volts.

Oil changes - Oil test for 16.5K was good so I'll hold off for 20K next OCI

Wheel bearings made noise (Lefty front did) around 317 K so had all 4 redone figuring if 1 was doing best to do them all (actually I may have done this at 325K below ... I'll have to look at paperwork).

Struts , lower A arms, front springs , front sway bar bushings, inner tie rod end - Replaced around 325 K .... Occasional clunk in front end was probably sway bar bushing , wheel bearings may have been done here as well (see paragraph above) , The rest (a arms with TT bushings, struts, springs were upgrades while "we were in there" in real need to replace other than sway bar bushing / wheel bearings.

I did the headlights and other lights not because I needed to but because I wanted LEDs all around .... did this slowly from 235K forward and $$ permitted.

Rear Axle Beam bushing - around 265K - rear tires were wearing a little "funny" ..... dealer changed out for stock and wear issues went away .... I regret I did not know about / do the cupra bushings when that was done....

Passenger door window motor assembly - about 275K

Injection pump / injectors - did at about 315K ... Injection pump "went out" and 1 injector started weeping a bit ... had to have car towed to TDI Guru

I did do a new battery prior to the alternator change out.

Tranny Oil - About 100K change to g070 .... Better than whatever was in there before! ... shift from 2 to 1 when cold perfect now (hard before), and from 4 to 5 shift is smoother

So far that is what I have done (last odometer was 334K I think) .... been a good car ....

Windshield - replaced about a 2 years ago ... just a few chips and pitted from precious owner following too closely ... go tired looking through the spots at night....

Everything else on car is original.

What are you experiences ? How long have parts lasted for you?

Andrew

PS - Brake pads changes about 245K in but not sure if PO did before me ( I got the car around 225K).

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
The d.m.f. should fail eventually. Could be catastrophic, could just be annoying. How about the blend door foam?

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
The d.m.f. should fail eventually. Could be catastrophic, could just be annoying. How about the blend door foam?
Hi,

So far clutch seems ok. .. no funny noises or slipping..

I tend to drive easy so hopefully it'll last awhile more ( I'm thinking about a 6 speed upgrade in the future ( either adding 6th to existing trans or euro 6 speed tranny and associated parts .... still researching but if I upgrade existing trans I'll have clutch done then as an upgrade to south bend clutch .... if euro 6 speed then clutch will be replaced also because old one can't be reused).

Heat and cold seems to work fine from all the ducts but on occasion if blower is set to high I will sometimes see a small piece of black foam blow out of a vent ..... I have seen you tubes on fixes for that but really i really hope it works well for years to come without having to fix ....

I usually run blower at low speed but it was run on high a few times because something in the dash was squeaking/ making noise and I thought a faster fan speed would help me locate the noise .... I found the noise and took care if it.... maybe low speed blower will let the foam live longer?

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
I think the foam will go regardless. I'm sure using lower speeds might slow the process down, but don't think it will stop it. The "fix" only takes an afternoon to do.