Question on doping up the Exhaust Manifold and DP studs w/ never seize.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
I would value any thoughts on doping up the Exhaust Manifold and DP studs w/ never seize.

I had a b_tch of a time removing the copper nuts from these studs and as I am putting this back together, I was thinking of doping these up.

I have a couple products on hand I could use:

Some Permatex2 anti-seize product which seems to be good to 1600 degrees

and some ARP Ultra Torque which seems to be good up to 2000 degrees

Could I apply one of these products?

if not, any others?

If not is it better not to put anything on these?

tnx

stevekris

Veteran Member
TDI
beetle 99 silver
I use anti seize. The anti seize with nickel is the best but any will work in this application. Hope this helps. Thanks Steve

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Loctite copper antiseize, tried that Permatex stuff , it does not seem as good as the copper stuff

rackaracka

Veteran Member
Never Seez brand from Bostik has a Nuclear Grade high nickel content thread dressing that is good for 2400f if I recall. I just ordered a 16oz can online for use inside of the turbo bearing housing. "Provides maximum protection from high heat up to 2400ºF and aggressive chemicals. Meets General Electric Nuclear D50YP12 and tested to MIL-A-907."
http://www.bostik-us.com/markets/product-assembly/mro/products/default.html#hitempstainlessnuclear

I use the regular permatex Anti-Seize in your pictures on everything.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Tnx for the info. I ordered a can from Amazon.

Technical Details

• Temp. Range - -297.0 °F [Min], 2400.0 °F [Max]
  • Capacity Wt. - 1 lb
  • Applications - Fittings Exposed to High Temperatures, Stainless Steel Pipe Fittings, Flanges, Pump Fittings, Fasteners in exhaust manifolds & boilers, Steam Generators, Assembly of dissimiliar metals
  • Color - Silver
  • Flash Point - 482.00 °F

Seems like some pretty awesome stuff... and perfect application for these studs... hot ... dissimilar metals.... 2400F..... but not cheap though. ... We get what we pay for don't we...

Never Seez brand from Bostik has a Nuclear Grade high nickel content thread dressing that is good for 2400f if I recall. I just ordered a 16oz can online for use inside of the turbo bearing housing. "Provides maximum protection from high heat up to 2400ºF and aggressive chemicals. Meets General Electric Nuclear D50YP12 and tested to MIL-A-907."
http://www.bostik-us.com/markets/product-assembly/mro/products/default.html#hitempstainlessnuclear

I use the regular permatex Anti-Seize in your pictures on everything.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Pierre- Matt (Whitbread) recommends stainless nuts and washers. He says they come off much easier. I'm sure they would, as the OE copper ones are pinch nuts. Personally, I prefer the copper jobbers as I know they won't come off and I'm paranoid about DP flanges (bad history, don't ask). But, that Nuclear Grade stuff there looks purdy :)

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Tnx for the info. I ordered a can from Amazon.

Technical Details

• Temp. Range - -297.0 °F [Min], 2400.0 °F [Max]
  • Capacity Wt. - 1 lb
  • Applications - Fittings Exposed to High Temperatures, Stainless Steel Pipe Fittings, Flanges, Pump Fittings, Fasteners in exhaust manifolds & boilers, Steam Generators, Assembly of dissimiliar metals
  • Color - Silver
  • Flash Point - 482.00 °F
Seems like some pretty awesome stuff... and perfect application for these studs... hot ... dissimilar metals.... 2400F..... but not cheap though. ... We get what we pay for don't we...
Is that stuff radioactive?:eek:

--Nate

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Any high temp antiseize will work.

One other suggestion. Make sure your replacement copper nuts use 12mm sockets, not 13mm. 13mm is a biotch to remove from downpipe due to socket clearance issues. I get the 12mm nuts from autohausaz.com, buy them 50 at a time.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Pierre- Matt (Whitbread) recommends stainless nuts and washers. He says they come off much easier. I'm sure they would, as the OE copper ones are pinch nuts.
This what Matt used on my exhaust manifold and when he bolted the DP to the turbo and so far so good. If I remember right he double nutted the DP to the turbo, so maybe SS nuts are worth a try.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Over the last 25 years I've used nickel and copper nuclear grade anti-seize. The non-metalic graphite suff tends to gum up.

I prefer the copper.

:)

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
One other suggestion. Make sure your replacement copper nuts use 12mm sockets, not 13mm. 13mm is a biotch to remove from downpipe due to socket clearance issues. I get the 12mm nuts from autohausaz.com, buy them 50 at a time.
Bruce: Do you have a part number for the 12mm nuts???

Yuri