1998 MK3 TDI Jetta for sale - needs work

98DIZL

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Hello everyone,

I have been a longtime lurker, and only recently registered a few months ago. I have a White 1998 TDI Jetta with dark grey cloth interior that I am looking to sell. It has roughly 160,000 miles on the body and about 115,000 on the engine
I bought the car about five years ago with 58,000 miles on it - around 110,000 miles (three years ago) the timing belt went and I ended up buying a used engine with 55,000 miles on it to have put in. I ran it for a year and then ended up letting it sit for 9 months because it needed some work and I had no cash.
Last January I got it back on the road and it ran fine until August when it started taking forever to start (it would crank for a while before starting). I did the 'unplug the coolant sensor' trick and it worked fine again. After a month or so of that it started stalling out randomly and losing power briefly if I let the RPMs run down to 2200 while down shifting.
It is now at the point where (with a full charge on the battery) it will turn over, sputter for about a full minute (smoking out my neighborhood), never really 'catch' and then stall out.
I have tried my best to figure out the problem, working with others who know more than me, but never figured it out. I've decided to draw the line on the funding and now I am getting rid of it.
What I've replaced / tried in the past few months to figure it out:
  • replaced fuel filter
  • replaced starter
  • tested glow plugs, had a bad one & replaced it
  • tested harness, getting proper amount of power at each finger
  • glowplug relay tested out ok
  • replaced relay 109
I will try to get some pics up in the next couple of days. The rocker panels are rusted pretty bad, but other than that the body only has minor surface rust and a couple of small dings in it.

I am only asking $1200 or best reasonable offer.

98DIZL

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I did forget to mention in my original post that I have also replaced the vacuum lines (even the little one in the ECU), the return fuel lines from the injectors and the Coolant Temp sensor in my trial-and-error search for the non-start problem.

98DIZL

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I did forget to mention that I have also replaced the vacuum lines (even the little one in the ECU), the short fuel-return lines from the injectors and the coolant temp sensor in my trial-and-error search for the non-start problem.

Axle & Forenzo - I was able to take some pics and have emailed them to you directly. Unfortunately, I am having a problem uploading them to my post.