Polo 1.4 TDI - inexplicable loss of power

poloplayer

TDI
VW Polo 1.4 TDI 2003
I own a 2003 Polo 1.4 TDI which has given me excellent service until a few months ago. The car has now done some 53,ooo Km and has been driven hard but respectfully (of turbo etc). Over the course of a few days it seemed as if the car has been emasculated: it has lost around 15-20% of its power - I have to gear down to 4th on a mild up-hill - and occasionally seems to 'lose' the turbo completely, ie. no turbo kicks in as it should around 2,500 revs. VW dealer has keeps telling me that nothing shows up on the diagnostic - great help! The car also is much noisier than it used to be (perhaps 50% louder). I am desperate to know if others have experienced this, and what should I do...?!
Thank you

cp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Beetle
I would suspect the fuel filter needs replacing.

poloplayer

TDI
VW Polo 1.4 TDI 2003
Intercooler hose fallen off? Not sure - there is no detectable smoke (I haven't noticed any). A friend suggested checking engine manifold gasket (loss of power + noise) but the VW service 'gurus' (not) tell me that's not it...
Thanks for your contribution - will follow further.

poloplayer

TDI
VW Polo 1.4 TDI 2003
Will have fuel filter checked out - thanks. WOuld this also explain the intermittent turbo performance? Presumably the engine noise would be caused by something else that I need to have looked at. Appreciate yr feedback.

cp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Beetle
Yes, a plugged fuel filter can affect turbo operation. The tubo spins up in proportion to the amount of exhaust gas (fuel) put through it--no fuel, no exhaust, no turbo.

I can't explain the noise, though. If the problem is the fuel filter, the noise must be unrelated.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
If the fuel filter is anywhere close to it's expected life, certainly change it. If you've had fuel from a new source, it could also be contaminated, so change it.

Definitely look at all of the hoses, as was suggested.

Also look at the MAF (we don't have your engine here, so I'm guessing on what happens to our 1.9's).

Can you get the power back by turning off your ignition switch, then turning it back on (while still moving)? If so, concentrate around the N75 valve and the variety of hoses going to and from it. Any of them could be causing a problem.

Shawnloggenberg

TDI
2002 Polo 1.4 TDI.
Engine lacks power - "No Boost" - "No Turbo" - "Can't hear turbo"

This is apparently a very common problem with this engine. The engine runs fine but every so often there is a big loss of power like the turbo has stopped working and the engine management light comes on. When you turn the engine off and restart the fault is clear and everything is ok.

Precaution: DO NOT jump to conclusions when attempting to identify the cause of having no power. Don't automatically assume that your turbocharger is broken!

When the computer is plugged in there is no fault found or turbo pressure fault.

Resulting in the ECU not seeing a proper pressure signal and causing "limp mode"

THERE IS ONLY 1(ONE) WAY TO FIX THIS!!!!!!!

1).
By doing it yourself! It will take you about 5 min! Using no tools! NO parts needs to be replaced! (wont cost you a cent)

I have spend over R12000! But my polo was doing the same (going in to Limp mode) and NO one could help me!

But now my TDI is 100% better then ever and using 4.2 L/per 100km at 120km/h And no more (Limp mode)

I helped 4 people with this problem to make sure that this is the way to fix this problem and am glad to say ALL 4 TDI's is 100%!

Now im asking R1000 to send you the Instractions!

NB; please if i send you the Instractions dont tel every one!!!!
I first need to make up the R12000 i have lost!

You can email me at sdriverlog@gmail.com i will then send you my banking details and a copy of my id!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds

This is apparently a very common problem with this engine. The engine runs fine but every so often there is a big loss of power like the turbo has stopped working and the engine management light comes on. When you turn the engine off and restart the fault is clear and everything is ok.

Precaution: DO NOT jump to conclusions when attempting to identify the cause of having no power. Don't automatically assume that your turbocharger is broken!

When the computer is plugged in there is no fault found or turbo pressure fault.

Resulting in the ECU not seeing a proper pressure signal and causing "limp mode"

1).
By doing it yourself! It will take you about 5 min! Using no tools! NO parts needs to be replaced! (wont cost you a cent)

I have spend over R12000! But my polo was doing the same (going in to Limp mode) and NO one could help me!

But now my TDI is 100% better then ever and using 4.2 L/per 100km at 120km/h And no more (Limp mode)

I helped 4 people with this problem to make sure that this is the way to fix this problem and am glad to say ALL 4 TDI's is 100%!

You can email me at sdriverlog@gmail.com i will then send you my banking details and a copy of my id!

OP, I would view this post with a jaundiced eye, sounds fishy to me, unless you know this guy.

Shawnloggenberg

TDI
2002 Polo 1.4 TDI.
Ok! Tryed to help but now i wont! You can replace the whole moror abd computer box! You wont get the problem solved! Lets see who is going to help you now? NO ONE! Enjoy LIMP MODE! Luckly myn is fixt! Thanx!

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Troll . . . actual help on a site like this does not come at a price . . .

And if your writing skills are any indication, this ought to be something solveable in about 10 minutes by a 13 year old . . .

oldpolotdi

TDI
Polo 1.4 TDI 2006 Classic, Amarok 2.0 TDI 2015

1).

Good day Shawnloggenberg,

I am sitting with the same issue, we've replaced the crank sensor as well as the fuel temperature sensor... same story.

I will appreciate it a lot if you could let me know what you did to fix the issue?

Thanks

oldpolotdi

TDI
Are you actually thinking about emailing that guy? :rolleyes:
Like someone said above, forums are there to share... Not get paid for information that may or may not help.

There is no way I pay for something which I have no idea if it works or not.

oldpolotdi

TDI
Hi guys.

So after almost three weeks of trying to get my 2006 1.4 tdi polo running again, got it sorted by a guy in Edenvale (Dylan).

He configured the injector settings back to basic.

The car runs like a boss again!!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

k0wtz

TDI
my 98 n/b tdi went into limp mode it was awful. my ordinary mechanic had worked on turbos. he found a bad fuse, we changed out all the vac lines, them a vac switch on the firewall had gone bad.

hope you found it by now!!