Im conflicted

Trakpak

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf 5 speed
I wanna do the timing belt in my car simply because I think the previous owner told me a story that it was done. Everything was neglected so I do t believe it was done. Now on Id parts I can get the big kit and tools for just under 600. I found a tdi guy an hour and a half away that said he’ll do it for about 850. Now if I ever did a second one it would be worth getting the tools I suppose. Unless there’s a market in selling the tools afterwards.

So what do you think do it myself or have a tdi guy do it?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
If you like working on your cars and you are willing to learn the correct procedure
then do it yourself. It is a good way to learn the subtleties of TDI wrenching. :D
Don't forget you will need access to a VCDS to finalize the injection timing.

Trakpak

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf 5 speed
If you like working on your cars and you are willing to learn the correct procedure
then do it yourself. It is a good way to learn the subtleties of TDI wrenching. :D
Don't forget you will need access to a VCDS to finalize the injection timing.

I bought vcds. I adjusted the injection timing as it was within spec but just barely.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
How many miles will you put on it yearly? Is it worth it to you to just have the tools setting there all this time? 5 or 6 years maybe. I always found it easier to just pay the professional for this service, back when we had one.

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I have the full ALH Metalnerd kit I'd sell for $160 shipped, you could probably sell it again for as much or more after you use it...

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
For me, it's a matter of time and money. I like working on my own vehicles, to an extent. That extent is about 4 hours, start to finish (clean up included). If I can't accomplish it in 4 hours, I pay someone to do it. I make "good money" and I'm not stingy. I contribute to the local economy by subbing out car maintenance I simply don't want to do.

You can pay with time or you can pay with money, you're going to pay with something.

I pay a guru to do my timing belt jobs, cost is about $650. Worth every penny to me...

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
most of the tools you can make for next to nothing, IP lock out pin is a drill bit, some sawzall blades for cam lock out and so forth. the bet and water pump, and so forth you definitely need the full kit but no need for fancy tools, they are nice and i love tools but for a once or twice job, just DIY it. the job is not difficult in nature, just lots of steps you want to do correctly. there are some good threads recently about the walkthrough here and a few things that are incorrect but easily noted.
all in all, a shop is going to charge you for a 6 hour job, plus parts. $200 for parts give or take and about $20 maybe less in tools to do the job, unless you need socks and other common hand tools. the question is, is $600 worth your time and hassle to go drop the car off and do a 3 hour round trip twice worth less or more? it might be worth it in your time and transport costs unless he can do it same day and you wait?