Replaced parking brake cables - parking brake won't engage!

Kentonius

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon TDI
I have a 2002 Jetta Wagon and the parking brake cables were toast. Replaced them with correct parts, etc., according to the DIY.

HOWEVER, now I can't even get the parking brake to engage. Most folks can't get it to DIS-engage, and that is usually a cable problem. These cables are brand new, and when disconnected from the rear calipers, I can pull up on the e-brake handle and it moves the cables.

But, when I re-connect them to the parking brake lever on BOTH rear calipers, I can't even pull up on the e-brake handle. I have adjusted the length with the single 10mm bolt, but the lever on the rear calipers just doesn't want to move.

I'm not sure what is wrong, or what I can do to fix it at this point. Any help is welcome!

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I think I read somewhere on this list, and it may have been MoGolf who wrote it, that there are several part numbers for the cables (several supercessions, or letters after the base part number) that you really either have to measure them or get the part number off of the old cables, or you will have issues beause the wrong ones will be obtained. I think he said the parts lists were inaccurate too.

Can you compare the new ones to the old ones, length wise?

--Nate

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
If you disconnect the cables from the callipers I take it the actual lever inside comes up fine? There's nothing jamming it?

Also with the cables connected I presume there's still plenty of room available at the callipers for the levers to move? As in the cables aren't pulling them tight with the brake off?

Kentonius

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon TDI
Length wise, cables are spot on. And yes, when I disconnect them from the calipers, I can pull up on the e-brake handle inside and the cables retract from the ends. When I release the handle, I can pull the cables back through the lines. It's just odd that BOTH calipers are frozen, when before replacing the hideous old cables, I at least had SOME engagement with one of the cables.

altabound67

TDI
Gen2,GEN 3,Gen 4
I just bought an 03 and find one rear caliper parking brake was seized. I broke it loose by tapping? it with a hammer. I put a very small screwdriver between the brake lever and rubber, put penetrating oil in. I found there was bunch of rust like powder under the rubber. Suspect this is a small fluid leak. I got it freed up fine but don't know that I will reuse the caliper. I am hesitant on rebuilds but would like to know if parts are available for the park brake mechanism. Good luck with yours