Readiness Faults

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
I noticed some Readiness Faults not previously seen today. Vag-Com (704.1) is reporting Readiness Faults in the Generic OBDII section for address 10 as follows:
Misfire Monitoring: Failed or Incomplete
Fuel System: Failed or Incomplete
Comprehensive Components: Failed or Incomplete
Oxygen Sensor Monitoring: Failed or Incomplete
Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitoring: Failed or Incomplete
Exhaust Gas Recirculation: Failed or Incomplete

OBDII Address 1A reports all items Passed and MIL Status Off

OBDII Mode 3 reports Address 10 (Engine): No Faults and Address 1A (Auto Trans): No Faults. The Previous Address 1A is clearly engine related, not Transmission.

It also reports Readiness Codes:
00000000 01110111 11100000 11100000.
MIL off - all 3 sections Failed or Incomplete.

Sorry for all the data; I don't know what is and is not important.

The car has RC1. It also infrequently goes into limp mode for underboost(16683). It only does this first thing in the morning going uphill from my driveway.

I was under the impression that Readiness codes would clear themselves given time. I just cleared the latest underboost code from a limp mode fault three days ago. Will they eventually clear themselves or am I up against another issue?

The car just crossed 40K miles so I want to make sure that I get it to the dealer :mad: if necessary before the warranty runs out.

Thoughts, experiences and comments welcomed.

Thanks,
Jack

PS: I have a MS Word .doc file with screenshots but can't figure any way of attaching it. I can email it to anyone who asks.

Last edited:

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
Using Generic OBD-II on your car, 10 is engine, 1A is transmission.

Whenever you clear fault codes, the readiness bits for systems which are actually monitored get set to "Fail or Incomplete". In principle, as the engine sees the conditions required for it to pass each test, it will perform that test, and assuming the test passes, the corresponding bit will get set to "Pass". This can take a variety of driving conditions.

Many gas engines have a specific procedure for forcing the tests using Basic Settings. I've yet to see such a procedure for your car. There is a rather bogus drive-cycle procedure under "Generic Scan Tool" in the Bentley for you car, but it doesn't force any tests.

Oh, and on some gasoline engines, we've seen cases where "chip tuning" caused certain readiness tests to never run, even when forced by the Basic Settings procedure.

-Uwe-

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you very much, Uwe. If I understand correctly, since i just reset the faults today the Readiness Faults are 'expected'. I will drive the car tomorrow in various modes and recheck.

It is good to get my heart beating again!

Many thanks!

Last edited:

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
Follow-Up

I still have the EGR failed or incomplete but the other 'failures' have cleared themselves.

I will give it another day or two and see what happens with the EGR report.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
As Uwe stated, it takes certian conditions for the readiness codes to be set. Sometimes its something like a 3k RPM run for at least 30 seconds, or speeds over 30mph or someother silly thing.

Older diesels dont use them. Interesting that your newer one does.

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry to say - I'm BAAAAACK!

I still have the EGR Readiness error. I'm over 40K miles now on my VW Passat 2.0 TDI (2005) and bumping up against the end of my warranty. One thing I have noticed is that Vag-Com is displaying a Readiness fault when I run a scan. If there is really an issue I want to get it to the dealer before the warranty evaporates on me, but don't want to if it I can avoid the dealer's shop. However, I will do what needs to be done if I'm looking at a warranty repair.

There are no error codes displayed but the readiness check shows that the EGR is "Failed or Incomplete" The code is as follows:
00000000 11100000 10000000.

This is using VC 704.1 with the Hex-USB cable

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The dealership will see that you're RC1 and say "you've voided warranty". Jeff at Rocketchip may be able to explain your situation (e.g. EGR disabled).

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
MOGolf said:
The dealership will see that you're RC1 and say "you've voided warranty". Jeff at Rocketchip may be able to explain your situation (e.g. EGR disabled).
RC1? What RC1? ;)

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
I don't think there is a State in the country that will fail the emissions OBD scan for only one readiness monitor not able to set, typically States follow the recommended practice according to the following table: ( I think that if a feature is turned off then the accompanying readiness monitor should reflect the same and indicate unsupported but if it's simply not possible then hey what can you do?

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the info, JollyGreen.

I have no doubt that you are correct - it would probably pass. That being said, I'd like to get VW to fix it while I'm still able to do so under warranty. They are also going to have to fix the intermittent driver side rear door lock fault that keeps popping up.

Yep - I've been accused of being anal before!