www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old May 11th, 2018, 08:48   #9091
romad
Veteran Member

What I liked in the past example section was the Ford Galaxy being sold as a VW in Europe and the VW Santana being sold as Ford in South America!

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2018, 21:25   #9092
lovemybug
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
It was a rebadged Holden (or vice versa) according to this list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eered_vehicles
My wife's 2001 Malibu is a fifth generation Malibu, built on the GM N-platform. The sixth generation is the rebadged Opal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Malibu

I can't believe how much crap I can fit in this thing.

Last edited by lovemybug; May 12th, 2018 at 21:28.
lovemybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2018, 21:46   #9093
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemybug View Post
My wife's 2001 Malibu is a fifth generation Malibu, built on the GM N-platform. The sixth generation is the rebadged Opal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Malibu
Actually is isn't a REBADGED Opel but uses the GM Epsilon platform which was BASED on the Opel Vectra as mentioned in the first sentence of the Sixth Generation section of that Wikipedia article.

The most obvious example of rebadging is from the third generation of the Chevy NOVA when the Omega, Ventura, and Apollo came out from Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and Buick respectively.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 01:05   #9094
lovemybug
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Actually is isn't a REBADGED Opel but uses the GM Epsilon platform which was BASED on the Opel Vectra as mentioned in the first sentence of the Sixth Generation section of that Wikipedia article.

The most obvious example of rebadging is from the third generation of the Chevy NOVA when the Omega, Ventura, and Apollo came out from Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and Buick respectively.
Yup, you're right. I didn't read too far into the next section. Regardless, though, the fill is on the same side as my Beetle, and still gets 30mpg on the freeway with almost 280,000 miles on the odometer.

I can't believe how much crap I can fit in this thing.
lovemybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2018, 06:50   #9095
SnowCub
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 25 mpg

Had my first "story" in a very long time. A Fedex driver asked if I knew that I was putting diesel in my car at the Cumberland Farms station in Framingham, MA. I was shocked. No one ever said anything to me when I would fill up my MB E320. My wife says she gets questioned almost every time she fills her BMW X3.
2013 MB GL450, Big Blue, 68k miles, 17 mpg sure sounds nice tho.
...former TDI A4, B4V owner...
SnowCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2018, 08:46   #9096
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

I'm on about my 15th fill on my Ram 1500. Still waiting for someone to comment or notice that I'm putting diesel in it. Maybe the Ecodiesel emblems on the side help.
Old June 30th, 2018, 21:56   #9097
TDI-WNC

When the gas pipeline broke in GA, there was panic buying. Went to the station I normally use (I was below a 1/4 tank) and there were lines 5 & 6 deep to all the pumps. They do have a diesel only island, in addition to having diesel on all the regular gas pumps.

Lots of dirty looks as I pulled around those in line, then envy when I pulled to the diesel only island to fill up. This island has the hoses/nozzles for filling big trucks, but still fits in the filler neck.
TDI-WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2018, 07:03   #9098
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
I'm on about my 15th fill on my Ram 1500. Still waiting for someone to comment or notice that I'm putting diesel in it. Maybe the Ecodiesel emblems on the side help.

How do you like that ecodiesel ? performance ? Any other comments on it ?
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2018, 07:05   #9099
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-WNC View Post
When the gas pipeline broke in GA, there was panic buying. Went to the station I normally use (I was below a 1/4 tank) and there were lines 5 & 6 deep to all the pumps. They do have a diesel only island, in addition to having diesel on all the regular gas pumps.

Lots of dirty looks as I pulled around those in line, then envy when I pulled to the diesel only island to fill up. This island has the hoses/nozzles for filling big trucks, but still fits in the filler neck.

One of the nice things I like about my Beetle - she can take it big and fast - but I still prefer the autodiesel pumps.
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2018, 08:25   #9100
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

I've been driving to Mexico since 2002 with a VW Diesel and only until fairly recently at a filling station the attendants would frantically wave me to go to a gasoline pump. They did not know that there are Diesel cars.

In the last few years they have become accustomed to Diesel cars.
Old July 9th, 2018, 15:31   #9101
DubFamily
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: It's still a diesel!

Was filling up on the way home from a movie the other day, whole family in the car, and like 95 degrees outside. I stopped at the pump, left it running, and went around to the pump to pay and fuel up. My wife rolls down the window to ask me if I plan to fill up with the car running

"Yes dear, it's a diesel so it doesn't have explosive vapor issues like a gasoline car does. I figured you would all be more comfortable with the AC on..."

I got an eye roll and a sigh; but she put the window up and enjoyed the AC while I pumped fuel...
Dub said it better.
2014 BMW 328d xDrive
Member SSBMWO
DubFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2018, 17:07   #9102
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

not exactly a concern on gas cars either now between a few factors
mainly no longer having the relatively open-air spark gap from the distributor rotor to cap posts,
and the evaporative emission system pretty well trapping fuel vapors displaced by the added fuel in the carbon cannister.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 10:41   #9103
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Though gas cars can set MIL with the EVAP system not expecting fuel input while testing tank for leaks or purging vapors into the engine. Also some of the newer cars (gas or Diesel) get weird fuel level problems if you fill with it running (with the computer reading the level).

Funny though one of the biggest fuel flash offs I have seen was a Diesel. The vapor from Diesel is apparently harder to start, but makes a bigger boom when it does. Filling on on a hot summer day around hot engines and such can do it.

Like [486] said though, most modern vehicles have enough safety crap on them to make this very uncommon.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 18:37   #9104
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

I always pay at the pump; it typically takes about three minutes; so I almost never shut off the engine while refueling.
'03 Golf with 710k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS+, TDT/Delvac1
TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking TDI Search Engine https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl...44:_idbzjdyxdm
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 06:39   #9105
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

I don't have cable brakes any more, so I've gotta shut down if I want it to stay put.

Gotta get around to pulling apart the rear calipers and figuring out why they're so sticky.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote