2011 Golf TDI Navigation System Question

Luidwig

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
New owner of a 2011 Golf TDI, great fuel mileage. I'm in a quandary about the clock (time setting). The expectation is the navigation system would use satellite time, not the manual entry time from the user. The service manager at Pete Moore advised me and I quote; "The VW navigation system works off of a two satellite system signal". Amazing that a highly engineered GPS system would use outdated technology and use the 2-D Trilateration (satellite triangulation) vs. the standard 3-D system. Rather than spending $500 on the Nav option I could have got better accuracy using a $84 Tom Tom unit from Wal-Mart. Does anyone know of a software update or is the SM BS....ing me?:confused:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
It sounds more like the service manager does not know exactly what he is talking about.

The navigation unit will connect to a maximum of 8 satellites for 3-D triangulation. You will be able to pinpoint (within a few feet, of course), latitude, longitude, and elevation.

It will not be able to get time/date info, however. Time is set through the MFI screen.

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
Pretty amazing how the people that typicaly know the least about a car is the dealerships selling them. :D

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Rob,

According to the label on the 315's I have in stock, They are manufactured by TechniSat GMbH.

I've never heard of them.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Whatever, it seems to work pretty well though the odd mistake creeps in like an address being on the wrong side of the street. We nicknamed ours "Our Lady of Lost Souls" because of the female voice (I have mine set to talk in French). I often disobey her when I have a better route in mind to get to the general vicinity of where I'm going, then I let her navigate the route to the exact spot.

I'm much happier with it than using my Garmin GPSMap 296 in car mode.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
Thanks for that - are we able to apply updates to them? Mine is a couple years out of date on some major new roads in my area.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
Thanks for the link Mike. Unfortunately it doesn't give a revision number other than a year. I'd like to think that my '11 came with the latest maps, but who knows - maybe they are just horribly out of date!

Biffster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
My GPS is an angry, insistent alpha-b1tch who can't handle being countermanded.

It's a love/hate relationship.

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
Yeah that caught my eye too. Makes the old Mk I GPS look like a bargain (eyeball and gas station road map). I wonder if there's a cheaper way?

There was for the Honda I had. A little time searching the internet + a blank dual layer DVD is all it took. ;)

Don't know if that would be as easy to accomplish with these though since VW's are not as common in N. America as Hondas are, thus I imagine it would be harder to find what you are after if it's there to be found in the first place.

Last edited:

rambalu80

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW JSW TDI DSG
There was for the Honda I had. A little time searching the internet + a blank dual layer DVD is all it took. ;)

Don't know if that would be as easy to accomplish with these though since VW's are not as common in N. America as Hondas are, thus I imagine it would be harder to find what you are after if it's there to be found in the first place.
Not just Honda's...BMW's too. My 2007 328i came with the OEM 2007.2 DVD. Since then, there have been 4-5 DVD updates some with Dual Layer DVD's and for the past couple of years Single Layer but East Coast and West Coast on separate DVD's. E90 Post message board members shared the torrent links and have even updated the DVD's with red light and speed camera listings.

Not sure any of this can be done with the RNS-315 map data.

Biffster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Yeah that caught my eye too. Makes the old Mk I GPS look like a bargain (eyeball and gas station road map). I wonder if there's a cheaper way?
Anyone with a VW OEM GPS installed needs to register at these sites:
http://gpsunderground.com/forum/car-navi-system/car-gps-systems/volkswagen-seat-skoda/
http://vwnavi.com/
http://www.my-gti.com/category/in-car-entertainment/rns-510-in-car-entertainment

It keeps tabs on ALL of the latest worldwide software/firmware updates for virtually every model available, along with available download links.

I *did* find the following RNS-510 updates *FREELY* available (both USA and EU). They're big, multi-GB files. I'll see if one of my domains can handle the traffic without incurring additional charges. Some of the smaller files are likely UPDATES instead of full downloads.

Files:
EUROPE WEST V7.1 2011 CD_7388 (3.95GB)
RNS510-SW3970 (1/3976/3978/3974) (500MB) (USA) (Info Link)
RNS510-V7East CD_7334 (2.6GB)
RNS510 V7.0 West Europe incl Dutch POIs (4.8GB)

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
^^

Yeah, but those are software/firmware files.

Not map updates.

And if you don't know what you are doing, and happen to select the wrong software/firmware version, you could brick your system.

Biffster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
^^

Yeah, but those are software/firmware files.

Not map updates.

And if you don't know what you are doing, and happen to select the wrong software/firmware version, you could brick your system.
At the various Navi sites, yes. The ones I have downloaded (the 4GB files) are maps.