What did you do to your car today?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Thinking about respraying my winter 15"s a nice satin black and getting some beauty rings similar to growler, i'm all set without pickle caps.
you can get a complete set of picklecaps for about $12 at your local grocery store..make sure you get a couple of different sayings on them too..

AND you get pickles to eat too!! just keep them in a sealed container in the fridge and eat them all year long :)

with 4 kids, it doesnt take me long to go thru a jar of pickles.. and you KNOW you won't want to look at that ugly center axle nut all winter... gotta keep those n.. well nevermind.

TDIFan_87

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
Put in my new carpeted trunk mat from Ecstuning and working on refinishing my wheels. Gotta love staying busy on the TDI.

Jerry Freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Replaced the rear lower control arm bushings with Audi TTT bushings.

That made a lot more difference than I expected in the way it drives. Very nice.

Best wishes,
Jerry

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Installed a black Nicktane Fuel Filter head with CAT 2 micron filter. Great product! Filled entire filter with Stanadyne additive :D

Install was easy; great fit! Only problem I encountered was when I dropped one of the nuts into the FF area and couldn't get it back. So I'm rocking one bolt in there for now.

Should be fine for my trip up to the Tail of the Dragon this weekend. TDI in the twisties FTW :D

Q-Ship

TDI
2009 Jetta, U Boat Grey
Picked up a set of 16" OEM take off rims & tires from a VW local dealer. Rims had Bridgestone Turanza all season tires on them. $195 ea. mounted and balanced. My plan is to run these through the winter and put the 17"/Michelins back on for the summer. When the Turanzas are toast, they will be replaced w/ Blizzaks.

turbodieselguy

TDI
1997 Jetta TD
1.lowering springs and struts all around
2.coolant bubble
3.coolant flange on engine
4.timing belt and tensioner
5.turbo is off and sitting on my toolbox
6.new back brakes
the worklist goes on

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Picked up my new Jetta wagon at the Pittsburgh airport, and drove it home.

Its even better than I had hoped!

stevepiper

TDI
Golf GT TDI W REG
Golf gt tdi starting problem

My golf gt tdi wont start ! After changing all the cracked and worn fuel pipes from the fuel filter my car started up 1st time ,keeping up high revs to remove any airlocks . The car just cut out at 20revs and refused to start again, I then opened and looked in the fuel filter and the level had gone right down. so i filled it with more diesel then put the cap and clip back on, i repeated this 4 times filling the filter but the engine will not start. I did notice filter cap had slight play in it. Ive checked all the new fuel pipes and they seem ok. Can any one help please????

CheesyRider

TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI
My golf gt tdi wont start ! After changing all the cracked and worn fuel pipes from the fuel filter my car started up 1st time ,keeping up high revs to remove any airlocks . The car just cut out at 20revs and refused to start again, I then opened and looked in the fuel filter and the level had gone right down. so i filled it with more diesel then put the cap and clip back on, i repeated this 4 times filling the filter but the engine will not start. I did notice filter cap had slight play in it. Ive checked all the new fuel pipes and they seem ok. Can any one help please????
Did you really need to post this in seven different threads? :confused:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
no pics of new ride yet. it needs a bath and some minor detail work first. :)

and itll only get picklecaps if I get left with a set of steelies.. for now the golf is getting a set of 15s (with picklecaps) and a set of 16s with worn snows.

the wagon has AVUS2s and I have another set of newbeetle alloys with good snows on them for the wintertime.

ok ok, here are a couple shots from this morning when I picked it up in Pittsburgh.

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Picked up my new Jetta wagon at the Pittsburgh airport, and drove it home.

Its even better than I had hoped!
Congrads!!! WTG!! Those Jetta Wagons are so frickin rare!!! Did you have to give your first born son for it?

......... As far as what I did to my car today... I chased and fixed my back up lights issue. They did not work and now they do....

Replaced the back up light switch... what a PITA... no frickin room to work in there ... Needed a 6" tall contortionist to do the job..

itchytweed

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Received my VCDS cable in the mail today ( Sweet product - Thanks Uwe and crew!). Tried it out tonight. Found no codes but two unlabeled controllers - email pending. Put lane change flashes from 3 to 5 (far nicer and a bit more courteous), and reset the steering wheel zero point. Then I got a MIL light for the ABS and Steering Assist systems being not in agreement. VCDS could not clear the fault. So I figgered I would take it on the road. By the time I hit 10 MPH - bye bye yellows. Now I don't seem to get the torque steer from dead stop that I had before.

Last week, rotated the tires on their ritual 5k mile change point and measured tread depth and compared to the spare. Treadwear is proportional across the tread (36 PSI pressure) and the tires are wearing at a 50k mile rate. At 20k, I will have the toe checked to make sure as Gretchen had to eat a couple of gnarly potholes and pavement buckles this summer.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
no pics of new ride yet. it needs a bath and some minor detail work first. :)

and itll only get picklecaps if I get left with a set of steelies.. for now the golf is getting a set of 15s (with picklecaps) and a set of 16s with worn snows.

the wagon has AVUS2s and I have another set of newbeetle alloys with good snows on them for the wintertime.
Nice Growler! I think you should make it a Getta wagon :)

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Nice Growler! I think you should make it a Getta wagon :)
I need to find a reflex silver golf nose on the cheap first.... or find someone to swap with.

altho, the headlight/grille treatment has def grown on me now that i Have seen it in person. I like the integrated fog lights with led city lights and joey look housings. and the 2004+ grille def adds a touch of class with the chrome strips on it.

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
I need to find a reflex silver golf nose on the cheap first.... or find someone to swap with.

altho, the headlight/grille treatment has def grown on me now that i Have seen it in person. I like the integrated fog lights with led city lights and joey look housings. and the 2004+ grille def adds a touch of class with the chrome strips on it.
I like the black grill!
If you want to part with it let me know I would like to call dibs.

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 6m "The White Knight"
I replaced my short drive axle today. I had to stop half way through because is started raining as if I lived on the gulf coast! It had a torn boot and was slinging grease all over the place. It started making a clunking noise, so I had to R&R.

I rode my bike over to the closest gas station and filled a jar with 25 cents worth of gasoline (paid with card), and used it to clean off the accumulated grease from the inside of my wheels.

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 6m "The White Knight"
LOL.

I have no use for gasoline, except as a solvent. And I didnt want to go inside and pay for the gasoline dispensed into an "unapproved container" so i carded it.

BTW, Farfromovin, I have beat my record of "lowest charge made to a credit card" made that time when we had to go buy that stupid plastic clip for my coolant sensor (83 cents)

meducky

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2013 Passat
Just finish doing a compound on my car and put some rain-x on all windows. Never seen my car this shinny in a long time :( too bad winter is coming

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi

Just a thought ........ go with a set of Jetta OEM HID lights or Reps. You get a 4 beam bulb system without the wierdness of a Ghetta look. Scary thing is, when you take into consideration the color variations of someone else's car, and the aggravation of lining up finding a new nose it is probably cheaper to go OEM HIDs in the long run anyhow ...... Your new car looks really Nice!

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Growler, We need a mod list of whats on the new ride! Whats the hold up?
My 1st vote is for the Getta, many more choices for Golf headlights.
Although these look nice and price seems fair. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...n-Retrofit-Headlights-w-5000K-HID-PLUG-N-PLAY
Not withstanding your personal preference fogs are more effective the closer they are to the road surface, reflection comes back toward the light source at much lower angle then fogs in headlight units.
Nice Wagon!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I thought long and hard about the Golf Wagon conversion on my car. After all, what attracted me to the MKIV wagon in the first place was seeing Golf Wagons in Hamburg on a business trip. And the headlight options are absolutely a factor. I've been having fits trying to source good e-codes for the Jetta. No luck at any reasonable price so far. Mine are getting pretty tired, cloudy, pitted, and adjusters and covers are busted. It was my first mod, 'way back in '03.

I particularly thought of this last spring when I ended up buying fenders for my wagon after its accident. But I ended up having the front clip painted and leaving it alone. I think I like the Jetta nose after all this time.

Aaron, if you want e-codes let me know and maybe I can get us each a set. I'll probably go through the winter on the ones I have and swap them out in the Spring.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Peter, it has IN PRO e-codes already on it. they are nice lights for what they are.

Ill put the mod list up soon.

so ya, I think the golf knows I have it for sale. Yesterday after the trip to Pittsburgh and back, it developed a NASTY squeak like a $20 motel bed any time you went over a bump, or got in or out of the car, or even opened the BIG door on the drives side.

did some detective work and replaced the sway bar bushings since thats the area the noise was coming from, so that will get added to the list of recent replacements on the golf. of course that wasnt what was causing the squeak so I had to get out my mechanics stethescope and finally figured out that when the suspension is where it sits with the lowered suspension the rear control arm bolt was binding and making a TON of racket. loosened the bolt with the suspension loaded where it was level again and then re-tightened the bolt. noise went away :)

YAY!! no more squeaky squeaky motel bed!

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Figured out my bad fuel economy reason: crappy fuel!! Ever since my PD150 injector install I had been using B5 of unknown origin. I had to use regular D2 this weekend and got 475 mi to 9.6 gal (49.5 mpg). Even driving in the mountains of Tennessee.

I had been getting 42 mpg, all highway.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Alright, Created a Thread for "Knurren" (Growl in German) my 2003 Wagon.

link in signature. :)