www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old January 11th, 2017, 06:19   #1
Crop Farmer

Default Duralast Clutch, Bad Idea???

I'm basically stuck between a Southbend clutch and a Duralast from Autozone. Duralast is a little cheaper and has lifetime warranty, which I like. Both are single mass flywheels. All I need it to hold is stock power. Anyone have experience? Is it a total peice of junk?
Crop Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 06:26   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Most Duralast stuff is Chinese junk. Why not just get a good quality name brand kit (Sachs, Luk, or Valeo) from a reputable vendor?

Lifetime warranty all too often means a lifetime spent replacing the darn thing.

However, it is *possible* that the Duralast kit is decent quality, after all, they are just a rebox. I would want to look at it and see, but still probably would not want to use it.
Old January 11th, 2017, 07:25   #3
maxmoo
Veteran Member

If you are sure that you are staying stock, you can not beat this deal!
Quality clutch at a fantastic price. Complete, flywheel , presure plate, disk, and throw-out bearing.
https://www.amazon.com/LuK-17-050-Cl...art/B000CI8XTK
maxmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 10:15   #4
SledDawg2
Veteran Member

Default single mass ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmoo View Post
If you are sure that you are staying stock, you can not beat this deal!
Quality clutch at a fantastic price. Complete, flywheel , pressure plate, disk, and throw-out bearing.
https://www.amazon.com/LuK-17-050-Cl...art/B000CI8XTK
Is that a single mass flywheel ? ... if it is I'll jump on that like a dawg on a bone.

Last edited by SledDawg2; January 11th, 2017 at 10:22.
SledDawg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 11:17   #5
maxmoo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledDawg2 View Post
Is that a single mass flywheel ? ... if it is I'll jump on that like a dawg on a bone.
It is a dual mass flywheel.......they are smoother and quieter than smf's......and they last a long time ....how many miles on your original DMF?
In a stock car I would definately prefer a DMF personaly.
Old January 11th, 2017, 12:18   #6
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

the luk dmf referenced above is far and away better than the stock sachs unit your car came with... buy with confidence, it's a high quality german built part
Old January 11th, 2017, 12:53   #7
AnotherPerson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1999 Beetle

I also say go with the LUK. If you want it quicker the cheap napa clutch is that same kit. With coupons and online reserve you can get it around $225. Thats whats in my car.

*edit* its actually a little more now.. part number is NCF 1117050

Last edited by AnotherPerson; January 11th, 2017 at 12:59.
AnotherPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 13:32   #8
pdq import repair
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5

We had a Jetta towed in with the clutch not disengaging. They told us they had just put in a clutch themselves bought at Autozone. After it didn't work they tried a new slave and master cylinder too.

We pulled it apart and could not fault their work. We sold them a real clutch kit for $20 less than Autozone charged them for the fake one. It worked perfectly.

Single mass unit, both of them.
pdq import repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 03:22   #9
AndyBees
Veteran Member

After installing two T-stats in my 1989 Carat Vanagon from AutoZone (ironically not made in China) that would not allow the engine to warm up, I purchased a German made brand from eBay for about the same price... AutoZone did take back their T-stat!

Last Fall, I also installed a Hydra-boost power steering unit in my 92 GMC 4X4 from AutoZone ......... darn thing leaked as bad as the old one! They did replace it. But, gee, all the darn work! But, I considering it was a reman, I could have had the same bad luck at any of the other places, even a mom and pop operation!
Old January 12th, 2017, 06:19   #10
pdq import repair
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5

Autozone, carquest, Napa, they are all about the same thing now. Not necessarily all chinese but driven by price shopping markets to buy and supply cheap parts.

I knew a guy that owned a Napa store and he learned to test all the alternators and starters that he got for restock before he put them on the shelf. He said 40% of them failed right out of the box. His over the counter return rate decreased after starting testing.

At least some of our better suppliers list parts ny brand name too, so you can choose between the good stuff and the used car lot requested stuff.

When in doubt buy it from the dealer, and we are buying a lot from the dealers anymore. It is the difference between fixing something the first time or doing it right the second time anyway.
pdq import repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017, 07:46   #11
Crop Farmer

The South Bend stage 2 was over $600 and the Duralast was $300 so I decided to go with the Luk 17-050 from Amazon for $188. It should be here today. Thanks!
Old January 14th, 2017, 08:46   #12
maxmoo
Veteran Member

You may also want to change the clutch fork, spring clip and pivot pin once you are in there.....they can and do fail especially on higher milage vehicles.
Also check rear crank seal if there is any sign of leaking oil now is the time to change it....if it's dry I would leave it alone.
http://www.idparts.com/clutch-releas...rm-p-1461.html
http://www.idparts.com/clutch-releas...ed-p-1837.html
http://www.idparts.com/clutch-releas...rm-p-1462.html
http://www.idparts.com/rear-mainshaf...55-p-5676.html
Old January 14th, 2017, 14:02   #13
Crop Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmoo View Post
You may also want to change the clutch fork, spring clip and pivot pin once you are in there.....they can and do fail especially on higher milage vehicles.
Also check rear crank seal if there is any sign of leaking oil now is the time to change it....if it's dry I would leave it alone.
http://www.idparts.com/clutch-releas...rm-p-1461.html
http://www.idparts.com/clutch-releas...ed-p-1837.html
http://www.idparts.com/clutch-releas...rm-p-1462.html
http://www.idparts.com/rear-mainshaf...55-p-5676.html
Thanks! I'll have to get those ordered. With 260k miles I'm doing suspension, turbo, and clutch job all at once. Also timing belt kit soon after. Seems kinda crazy on a $3500 car but then I know it's gonna be reliable for a good while longer. Hopefully get another 200k outta it! Haha
Old January 14th, 2017, 19:49   #14
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Got mine today .... LUK >>> Sticker says, Made in Germany (fine print, 10/4/16).

For my ALH in the Vanagon (Very mild, but nice Stage 1 Malone Tune).

Although my clutch does not slip, the combo of a used SMF and aftermarket pieces parts just don't satisfy me. The SMF rattles and the aftermarket, Made in USA no-name brand disc, has been "grabby" from day one. The pressure plate is a Sach.

So, the LUK DMF will be really nice!
Old January 14th, 2017, 21:59   #15
AnotherPerson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1999 Beetle

NAPA has good and bad. Everything on there site lists a warranty policy page and if it says cardone stay away from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AnotherPerson is offline   Reply With Quote