www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Ontario

Ontario Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.

Old January 20th, 2010, 15:51   #1
Broker

Default The Source

Hello All,

Has anyone heard of "The Source" located at 49 Milvan drive in Weston. Are they reputable. This shop was recommended to me by a client of mine to troubleshoot my car.

Thanks!
Old January 20th, 2010, 16:11   #2
Toronto_Vento
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/48/44

Troubleshoot your car? Not sure what's wrong with your car, but "The Source" is a wrecker which deals specifically in VW and Audi parts. It is NOT a garage. I could have sworn that "The source" is on Toryork Drive, though. If you look them up on Canada 411, their address says Milivan, but their map in the ad says Toryork. Did they move?

Anyhow, they are a great source of parts from wrecked vehicles, but unless they've gone into the repair business, you won't be able to do much troubleshooting there.
Toronto_Vento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 17:43   #3
JASONP
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5l/100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_Vento
Troubleshoot your car? Not sure what's wrong with your car, but "The Source" is a wrecker which deals specifically in VW and Audi parts. It is NOT a garage. I could have sworn that "The source" is on Toryork Drive, though. If you look them up on Canada 411, their address says Milivan, but their map in the ad says Toryork. Did they move?

Anyhow, they are a great source of parts from wrecked vehicles, but unless they've gone into the repair business, you won't be able to do much troubleshooting there.
Last time I was there it was on Toryork Drive, been there a few times, good on his return policy too.

Guess I haven't been there in a while, can someone confirm if they moved?

http://www.thesourceforvw.com/

Last edited by JASONP; January 20th, 2010 at 17:46.
JASONP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 17:57   #4
Emil

Yes they did move about a 2 months ago. They have a bigger and nicer place now. Lots of parts stored inside.
No they do not do any repairs but will all ways give you an advice.
Old January 20th, 2010, 18:15   #5
Broker

hmmm...thanks guys.

I should find out tomorrow why the shop is taking my car there then. More than likely I will use another shop that has been suggested by other forum members.

Thanks for your replies!
Old January 20th, 2010, 20:11   #6
01whttdi
Veteran Member

if your trouble shooting your car then try to find someone in guelph to give you a hand. i know there a few guys that are more than capable to at least diagnose your problem and they'll only charge you a coffee!
i hope im not over stepping here but try to instant message jasonp(posted in your thread!) here as i know he has a vag-com(diagnostic computer program) and is a great and helpful man located in guelph.

good luck
01whttdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 20:15   #7
Broker

Thanks 01whttdi,

Jason has offered a hand possibly for this Friday.
Old January 20th, 2010, 21:42   #8
MoldovaDIZEL

Fuel Economy: whats that?

+1 to jason
MoldovaDIZEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 02:49   #9
PewterTDI

Mike at the source is a very stand up guy! He once quoted me a price that was cheaper than Billy at friscos and when I told him that his price was really decent he dropped even more by $5.00 I know it's not alot, but it's a very nice gesture! I've dealt with him many times as I am on my 5th VAG vehicle. I know he has a VAGCOM and two hoists in the back for dismantling. Once when I had a MAF problem and I explained it to him and he diagnosed my issue via VAGCOM in order to sell me the correct part to resolve my Issue not sure if he's actually INTO mechanic work though. Oh and he is on milvan used to be on toryork they are both in the same city block and maybe thats why some people may think he's in the same place.
I'd definately recommend him for parts but I'm honestly not sure about service.
Old January 21st, 2010, 15:11   #10
Broker

Thanks for the info.

The MAF was changed again (3-4th time now). Guess what! It came back on again after around 50 km or so. I cannot wait till I meet up with Jason to look at it via the Vag Com.

Broker
Old January 21st, 2010, 17:15   #11
JASONP
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewterTDI
Mike at the source is a very stand up guy! He once quoted me a price that was cheaper than Billy at friscos and when I told him that his price was really decent he dropped even more by $5.00 I know it's not alot, but it's a very nice gesture! I've dealt with him many times as I am on my 5th VAG vehicle. I know he has a VAGCOM and two hoists in the back for dismantling. Once when I had a MAF problem and I explained it to him and he diagnosed my issue via VAGCOM in order to sell me the correct part to resolve my Issue not sure if he's actually INTO mechanic work though. Oh and he is on milvan used to be on toryork they are both in the same city block and maybe thats why some people may think he's in the same place.
I'd definately recommend him for parts but I'm honestly not sure about service.
Dude check your pm's, I was in the area today.
Old January 21st, 2010, 17:34   #12
JASONP
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldovaDIZEL
+1 to jason
offer is good for anyone that needs a hand,(within my mechanical/technical realm) thats what this club is all about.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 17:13   #13
JASONP
Veteran Member

Ben, I managed to muddle through the convertion process and got the screen shots to appear as jpegs.

Here you go guys, someone with more techno-dorkiness will be able to decipher the info better than I will.

Unfortunately I was very limited to scanning due to the fact I only have the KEY-COM cable and not the HEX-USB cable.

Last edited by JASONP; January 22nd, 2010 at 17:55.
JASONP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 17:28   #14
Broker

Awesome Jason. Thank you kindly! I really appreciate you taking the time to help out. If I can return the favor sometime let me know.

To anyone that can help, this is relation to another post of mine regarding a P0101 (MAF) error code:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=270724
Old January 22nd, 2010, 17:29   #15
Wingnut
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5L/100km

If you were looking to test the MAF, you need to log the data while driving. Do a full run in 3rd gear and watch to make sure the 'requested' and 'actual' match.

Old Ride (2000 Black Sedan): Gone

New Ride: (2003 Silver Wagon): Malone Tuned, T4 injectors, 11mm pump, 2.5" Magnaflow cat back, PD150 intake, OMI, Wingnut SS, ERF 6 speed, Bilstein TC Sport susp. w/GTI springs, Neuspeed RSB, Santa Monica's, Autometer Cobalt Boost & EGT, MFA Sport cluster, GLI Leather seats, SS vacuum lines, AVIC Z3 Nav and I still get 4.5L/100km (I got 3.9L/100k on a tank once)
Some handy 'How to's'
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote