www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 31st, 2015, 16:48   #1
Matthewsz

Fuel Economy: 39
Default Glow plugs don't work, new plugs, new harness, new relay, good fuses

Hi forum members, I was wondering if any of you have experienced this before. The title says it all. 2003 jetta manual ALH. I had 1 bad gp code and decided to get a whole new set of 4 Bosch, new oem harness because the old one was coming apart, after this none of them worked. New harness wires tested, they should work. I tested the fuses at battery, unplugged the coolant temp sensor, still nothing (other than longer glowing light on the cluster). I've read the gp testing thread, even posted there, no answer. Got a brand new Bosch relay, still no power at the harness. No clicking heard from relay either, so my only guess left is the ecu... How could that go bad at the same time randomly?
Thanks for all the diys, helpful posts, I've been reading the site for years and it was time to post.
Matthewsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2016, 07:16   #2
sisyphus
Veteran Member

What was the code, exactly?
sisyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2016, 07:54   #3
JohnWilder
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Average 53.25 mpg (4.4 l/100 km) over the last six months.

For what it's worth, I disconnected the power connection lead that feeds the glow plugs. I had to replace a couple of them and realized that it never gets cold enough here in Austin to require a glow plug to begin with. Everything works fine.
JohnWilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2016, 10:23   #4
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

Are you measuring the pre-glow; ignition on, engine off? This only lasts ~ 23 seconds; so you would have to have your DVM set up so you can view it when you turn on the ignition.
The after-glow could be anywhere from 1 to 4 minutes, unless it is very warm outside.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2016, 11:24   #5
Matthewsz

P0671
P0672
P0673
P0674

It's been pretty cold here, some mornings are at freezing point. The car needs more cranking and I get more smoke from unburnt fuel when starting.

Yes, ignition on, engine off, no power at the harness. In the relay 2 pins on both sides of the wide pin don't get any signal from the ecu.
A friend of mine just told me last night that he had the same problem, and he replaced the fuse box at the battery, that fixed it. Sounds interesting but I might have to try that.
Old January 1st, 2016, 11:45   #6
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Without looking it up, a certain fuse in the box at the battery supplies power to the GPs via the Relay. The ECU sends the signal/current to activate the Relay. Thus, I cannot see how replacing the fuse box would solve anything........... unless there is no current available on the down side of the particular fuse for the GP Relay. I'd check that before replacing the entire unit.
Old January 1st, 2016, 14:46   #7
9diesels

TDI(s): 2000 Beetle
Unhappy Short GP timer

I live in WI. Even when it's very cold, the glow plug lite on the cluster is only on few a second or two. The car takes some cranking to start. I have a new temp sending unit installed. Is this an ECM problem?
9diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2016, 15:58   #8
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9diesels View Post
I live in WI. Even when it's very cold, the glow plug lite on the cluster is only on few a second or two. The car takes some cranking to start. I have a new temp sending unit installed. Is this an ECM problem?
Best bet would be to start a new thread of your own for this issue, since the symptoms are different than the original posters and the solution(s) will be, too.

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.
Vince Waldon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2016, 16:40   #9
Matthewsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees View Post
Without looking it up, a certain fuse in the box at the battery supplies power to the GPs via the Relay. The ECU sends the signal/current to activate the Relay. Thus, I cannot see how replacing the fuse box would solve anything........... unless there is no current available on the down side of the particular fuse for the GP Relay. I'd check that before replacing the entire unit.
Thanks Andy, I agree that it doesn't make much sense to change the unit. I will check all those wires and fuses again, but I know for sure that the wide pin is always hot at the relay.
Tomorrow we're getting started on pulling the v6 from my Passat, busy new year...
Old January 1st, 2016, 16:53   #10
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing

This may seem like a silly question but, if the ECU has a stored code for a GP fault, will it shutoff sending power to that GP? OP, have you cleared the old faults?

Stella (Mine now): 2005 Shadow Blue Jetta Wagon TDI 09A
Mods: RC1. VCDS HEX-CAN USB (near Toledo, OH)
JDSwan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2016, 17:35   #11
Matthewsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSwan87 View Post
This may seem like a silly question but, if the ECU has a stored code for a GP fault, will it shutoff sending power to that GP? OP, have you cleared the old faults?
Yes, codes were cleared several times with torque app and vcds as well.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 06:49   #12
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

Fuse #2 on top of the battery is what gives power to the relay. Check to see if you have power coming from that fuse into the relay(should be a thick red wire).
turbocharged798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 23:49   #13
Matthewsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocharged798 View Post
Fuse #2 on top of the battery is what gives power to the relay. Check to see if you have power coming from that fuse into the relay(should be a thick red wire).
Yes, that must be the wide pin at the relay that's always hot.
I got an ECU from the junkyard, same year, same part number but wagon alh tdi. It didn't make any difference, or is that because of the immobilizer, would that block the ecu sending the signal to the relay?
At this point I tried everything, no idea what's going on. Broken wire from ecu to relay? Kinda doubt that...
Old February 6th, 2016, 09:45   #14
sisyphus
Veteran Member

In the OP, you say you had one bad GP, so you replaced them all along w/ the harness. After that nothing worked.
You should go back and check your work. It's not logical that after replacing the harness along with the other three GPs that none of it should work. It must be something disconnected accidentally or incorrectly somewhere.
Troubleshooting electrical symptoms should always include an element of self-doubt.
sisyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 09:51   #15
fruitcakesa
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisyphus View Post
In the OP, you say you had one bad GP, so you replaced them all along w/ the harness. After that nothing worked.
You should go back and check your work. It's not logical that after replacing the harness along with the other three GPs that none of it should work. It must be something disconnected accidentally or incorrectly somewhere.
Troubleshooting electrical symptoms should always include an element of self-doubt.
Truer words