Not staring TDI 2006 again/ flat bed to VW

P

pavilonram2

Hello,

I joined this last year right around the time I had to replace my fuel pump. The mileage then was approx 54,000. Would you know it's acting up again.

In my drive way, it would not start. So I called the customer service to see what warranty VW covers, it's only 12,000 or 1 year. Mileage reads appox. 68,000 and it's not covered. I missed it by 1920 miles + its under the 1 year. But they don't care. The dealer has it now. one of the service writers actually asked me if I changed the fuel filter. Ya, I said you guy's should have put a new one in at the last 60,000 miles service. So there ya have it. I seem to be going round and round with the dealership, which also is under new ownership.

I smell trouble here. They called me back the same day Friday July 9. and said my car is ready,would you like to p/u? I asked, Did you find what was wrong? NO, there were no codes or anything we could find. It started up the second time. I attempted to keep calm.. I asked them what did they do? When I finished explaining what happened with it. apparently the same problem occurred around this time last year. I including every detail. The service manager took over from there and basically said they will look into it further on Monday July 12.

The only thing I can figure out is it may be the fuel relay under the drivers side steering area. Please respond back with any suggestions.

Thanks

Bert Salease

Last edited:

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Stupid question....Why did you take it to the dealer and not a trusted Tech?

You could probably go further with a trusted Tech...Sounds like you are getting the run a round..

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
Yeah I would second going to a trusted tech. All the dealer is going to do is keep on railing you for them not finding the problem. I sure hope they don't start throwing around parts to fix the problem :(

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Stupid question....Why did you take it to the dealer and not a trusted Tech?

You could probably go further with a trusted Tech...Sounds like you are getting the run a round..

because it's his second visit to this site ....

Mach1

TDI
He has visited before in the past looking for info on the same problem..

It could be something as easy as the FF, that the dealer was supposed to be changing for him...

With the BRMs, the no start could be...FF blockage, fuel pump(usually the intank goes bad), the injector wiring harness on the side of the head, or it can even be the battery being weak and not allowing the engine to crank fast enough to fire...

Whats funny is the dealer techs, read the codes and then thats it..we cant troubleshoot any further then that..I guess I am old school where we didnt have OBD2, so we had to start from scratch and troubleshoot all problems...

I still stand on my first advice and suggest taking it to a real person that knows these cars and have them look at it..they sure couldnt do any worse..

Mach1

TDI
I hear you, I guess it too easy to say, I couldnt dublicate the condition...Dealerships are too impersonal..

Colorado_Al

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon MK4 5SPD
Easy enough to troubleshoot by yourself.
When you get to the dealer, don't leave their lot.
Turn the key to power on (but don't start the engine) and listen for the in tank fuel pump, under the right rear seat. It should run for a second or 2 while it attempts to prime the engine.
If you hear it, that is a good sign. If not, new pump.
If it runs, turn the car off, disconnect the fuel line running from the pump into the filter (at the filter) put it into a cup or bottle and try again. If your pump is working, and your check valve is good, it should squirt some fuel into the cup.
If you get no fuel, probably have a bad check valve. You do not need to replace the in tank pump if your pump works but the check valve is bad. Just install a check valve inline to the fuel filter. (You may need to try the check valve test after it sits overnight, as it may have fuel in the line, but overnight it may lose prime.)

Last edited:

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
If you get no fuel, probably have a bad check valve. You do not need to replace the in tank pump if your pump works but the check valve is bad. Just install a check valve inline to the fuel filter. (

Does an ALH motor have this check valve?
I have a problem where fuel runs back to the tank when my 2001 TDi is low on fuel , parked on my inclined driveway...

I don't see any check valve in an ALH, unless it is in tank along with the fuel pump.