Cold engine starts TDI

Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Sportwagon TDI
Mine doesn't do that, even at -20 C. I hope you mean 40 F, not 40 C.

At 40 deg F (4 deg C), my car starts right up, nice and smooth, maybe two seconds of white smoke, and two seconds of rough idling. Car is smellier than normal until the engine temperature gauge starts to rise (presumably the catalytic converter starts working once things are nice and hot resulting in less stinkies).

At -20 C, the car will run rough for five to ten seconds, producing noticable white smoke. From memory (how soon we forget the cold cold winters), my glow plug light is on for 5 to 10 seconds with below zero temperatures.

At +20 C, no smoke on startup, no rough idling.

I've never experienced any surging regardless of temperature.

csimo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Kingfisher,

That is NOT normal at all. I have 2 TDI's and regularly drive 4. NONE exhibit that problem, and if they did I would make the dealer do something about it.

Most likely an injector problem.

M

mickey

Your glow plug system is not working correctly. You don't need to use glow plugs at all above 40 degrees F., but even with a hot engine the plugs will come on for longer than a second. Your glow plug relay may be faulty.

-mickey

p.s. How well does it run with a cold engine but in warmer air temperatures? (Above 40 degrees F.) If it's fine in warmer temps but runs rought at cooler temps, it's definitely glow plugs.

kingfisher

When starting car in mornings with temp.lower than 40 degrees engine smokes and misses for 15 to 30 seconds. It also surges for awhile when you start driving. Glow plug light comes on for only a second or so.Been to the dealer three times and they say this is O.K.Exhaust smell is very bad util engine has run for 10 minutes.2000 Golf TDI AUTO.