www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old November 5th, 2001, 17:17   #1
tongsli
Veteran Member

Default .205\'s, clutch slipping and VR6 clutch upgrade

I was wondering how many of you with an Upsolute chip and .205 injectors have upgraded their clutch and or flywheel to the VR6/G60 combo?

Jim at Diesel Geek wasn't 100% sure if the VR6 clutch upgrade was enough to keep my clutch from slipping. He said he thought some of you here might have upgraded and eventually got some slipping down the road?

I want to do something, but don't want to do it twice.

Thanks,

Lito

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: tongsli ]</p>
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2001, 18:04   #2
TDI Believer
Responsible For Global Warming

TDI(s): No more TDIs
Default Re: .205\'s, clutch slipping and VR6 clutch upgrade

It won't slip. Turbo Steve's didn't slip with the .205s, chip and 11mm pump. Mine has been on for about 25K miles and it has never slipped.
TDI Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2001, 20:26   #3
TDi RAY
Veteran Member

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TDI Believer:
It won't slip. Turbo Steve's didn't slip with the .205s, chip and 11mm pump. Mine has been on for about 25K miles and it has never slipped.<hr></blockquote>

I have the same setup and it will slip he hasn't slipped it yet because it is 3 days old. I have a metallic disk in and it holds good now but for how long is the question. I had a dual fiber disk in with the same setup and as soon as the injectors went in the clutch went out. check with Kennedy engineered products do a search for them the sell a ton of aircooled clutchs and just made a HEAVY plate for the VR6 which is to hold some serious torque on a stock disk.
TDi RAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2001, 21:00   #4
Torque!
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44 avg

RGoetz has this clutch installed on his Golf.

I believe it worked well for him.

Rob where are you?
Torque! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2001, 21:42   #5
tongsli
Veteran Member

Thanks for the replies guys!

Rich, I remembered from Pete's post that he upgraded the clutch, but like TDI Ray said, it's pretty new.

I thought you had done the same because I remember you showing me your OEM clutch plate and disc at your last GTG.

TDiRay,

I know that if I don't push it in 4th and 5th that I can keep it from slipping. Do you think one's driving style would affect if and when the clutch will slip?

I know there were a bunch of people in the second wave of .205 Injector installs and was hoping more of them would post here to report the longer term clutch slipping observations.

Thanks again,

Lito
Old November 5th, 2001, 22:05   #6
tongsli
Veteran Member

If anyone has tried this, please let us know how things are holding!!

From SVTWEB:

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr> The stock clutch is a 220mm.... You may want to move up to he 240mm CLustch from the 130 or 150 HP PD TDI from Europe.

You need the following.....

Clutch Disc 038 141 032 B
Pressure Plate 038 141 025 H
Flywheel 038 105 266 S

These are the parts for a 130-150HP PDI with 5 SPeed Manual Tranny....... <hr></blockquote>
Old November 5th, 2001, 22:36   #7
BillW
Veteran Member

My clutch is stock with .205's and Upsolute. My car clutch does not totally slip, but instead shimmers like it is ready to give way to the torque of the engine. This mostly occurs when going up a steep hill and I punch the throttle really hard. I do not feel actual slippage like some other vehicles that I have tested, but just a strange shake in the clutch. I am at 4300 feet above sea level so I do have reduced power at this altitude. I would hate to see how it would behave at sea level. I plan on using my clutch until it needs to truly be replaced.
BillW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2001, 06:34   #8
corrado tdi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 43ish overall

Lito:

What I was trying to say about the G60/VR6 combination clutch is that I had heard a rumor of one guy who has had a VR6 clutch slip though I never researched it. Also, it would be a bad idea to promise anyone that the clutch I was going to sell them would never slip, given that the clutch will be used with higher torque figures than stock VR6 levels. I have seen VR6 clutches with 120k that look brand new and I've heard many stories of supercharged VR6's using the stock clutch with no problems so I feel pretty good about selling the G60/VR6 clutch setup to the A4 owners. I think that VW specified a good safety margin when they spec'ed out the VR6 clutch.

In sum, I don't want to get a bad reputation by promising anything about whether the VR6 clutch will hold, especially since the performance envelope is increasing pretty steadily on the A4 motors. I do think the Sachs VR6 clutch is a good clutch for the TDI but somebody is eventually going to smoke one and I want to make sure that I haven't promised anyone that it would hold forever. Not getting defensive, I just need to be clear on this one.

Jim
www.dieselgeek.com

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tongsli:
I was wondering how many of you with an Upsolute chip and .205 injectors have upgraded their clutch and or flywheel to the VR6/G60 combo?

Jim at Diesel Geek wasn't 100% sure if the VR6 clutch upgrade was enough to keep my clutch from slipping. He said he thought some of you here might have upgraded and eventually got some slipping down the road?

I want to do something, but don't want to do it twice.

Thanks,

Lito

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: tongsli ]
<hr></blockquote>
corrado tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2001, 07:14   #9
rgoetz
Veteran Member

Here I am!

I do have the G60/VR6 combo, but I don't have .205 injectors (just the chip with a twist).

(Torque, I'm always enjoying the boost guage--thanks again!)
rgoetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2001, 09:00   #10
leedawg

TDI(s): ltetz

All this clutch stuff is making me a bit weary of upgrading to the injectors and the chip [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Few questions do you guys usually do the clutch swap yourselves? Was wondering how hard it is to do. Or do you usually just take it in to the dealer have them do it or some other garage somewhere do the work for you. Honestly how big a differnce dose it make to upgrade the engine from the stock version? Do you notice huge amounts of performance increasese such as acceleration um top end? Just thought I would ask how large a differnce it all is. I mean if it is significant i dont mind shelling out 2k for it all but thought I would pick up an honest opionin.
leedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2001, 09:14   #11
rgoetz
Veteran Member

leedawg--I had an independent shop in the Boston area do the clutch work.

The chip makes a tremendous difference in the car. It's for real. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I can't speak about the injectors.
rgoetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2001, 09:42   #12
tongsli
Veteran Member

Thanks Jim!

I completely understand. You and I talked on the phone about this subject before I posted something so I know exactly where you are coming from. I'm sorry if I didn't elaborate fully with my post. You've been excellent with helping me consider choices and making decisions.

I was hoping that others here with the same setup that I have might be willing to share their experience so that I could make a well-informed decision. I'm not in a rush to buy anything, just trying to do my research [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old November 8th, 2001, 10:31   #13
TDI ESEL
Veteran Member

Id like to see if theres a higher friction material that can be used in place of the stock one, with the stock pressure plate. I have to be very gentle with just the chip! Or else in 5 deg weather, it slips 400RPM on the highway.

Edit, I can get it to 800RPM at almost any time - I wonder about using this 'race clutch' with the duel mass flywheel! Right now its beginning to really pizzas me off! I can almost physically feel it grind in my muscles!

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: TDI ESEL ]</p>
TDI ESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2001, 12:13   #14
leedawg

TDI(s): ltetz

So it really adds that much power to the car. Sounds liek they are a lot of fun once they have been moded a bit. I think i am going to have to invest in this chip and then possibly a new clutch what has everybody been buying just the VR6 clutch ?
leedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2001, 16:05   #15
TDI ESEL
Veteran Member

Above 9 or 10 Celcius it never slips unless it's dead. Below that, at about 5 Celsius, watch out at about 1800RPM, be very very gentle.
TDI ESEL is offline   Reply With Quote