www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Archives on TDI Power Enhancement related items.

Old October 11th, 1999, 05:35   #1
SkyPup

Default Techtonics Tuning Exhaust Install Pics

Here is a pic of the OEM "choker" exhaust system, which actually works pretty darn well ,but is no match for the Techtonics straight through system. The original inside diameter measured with a vernier caliper is 2.0 inches, the new Techtonics Tuning system measures exactly 2.5":

Here is a pic from the huge OEM VW catalytic convertor on back:

Here is the hookup to the cat-back through the center support:

Here is a shot of the super nice straight through Borla stainless steel muffler with 2.5 inch inside diameter with a rated flow of 644 cfm (over twice what the turboed TDI is capable of generating! ):

Total cost for the entire stainless steel system shipped and installed was $529.00. An aluminized steel version is available for about $305.00. My 98 NB TDI will soon have this same system installed on it with Techtonics wicked upswept "Baja Bug' stinger exhaust tip. BTW, the Bug is a diesel rocket too, set up the same as the Jetta!

Simply a most impressive and first class system that will last for the next million miles producing outstanding torque, horsepower, and economy.

Don't boost me up Scotty! There are intelligent turbocharged Volkswagens down here after all!

------------------
99 JETTA TDI HERR WETTERAUER TORQUEMEISTER
98 KAFER WETT SPEKTAKULARE TURBOKOMPRESSOR
97 KTM 620 ADVENTURE RALLY PARIS-DAKAR SUPER THUMPER
ICH LEBE MEIN TECHORAD VW TDI'S MIT DIREKTEINSPRITZER TURBOKOMPRESSOR

[This message has been edited by SkyPup (edited October 11, 1999).]
Old October 11th, 1999, 05:42   #2
WOOCHOW
RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten

Fuel Economy: 50/47
Default Re: Techtonics Tuning Exhaust Install Pics

How does it sound? Too bad TT doesn't make an exhaust for the A3 Jetta TDI. I'd buy one in a minute.
WOOCHOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 1999, 05:44   #3
SkyPup

They do make the same setup for the A3, it is much better than the one AutoTech has available. Call Techtonics, it is the same one that fits the VR6 that fits the TDI. Simple....
Old October 11th, 1999, 08:20   #4
SkyPup

Don't you know it sounds real good????
That's any easy one to answer for sure!!!

BTW, the turbocharger takes out approximately 40% of all the sound waves by chopping the pistons pressure pulses into millions of tiny waves, eliminating most of the exhaust sound typical of nonturboed engines. This system would most likely be street legal without any muffler at all, just a straight pipe would be adequate for most areas. The exhaust gases pour out like water from a hose, not in big blasts of pressure on a non turbo engine, it is a smooth exhaust flow like the Paddle Wheel Queen on the Mississippi River, flat no wake.
Old October 11th, 1999, 09:51   #5
Osiris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46

Skypup,

The OEM exhaust pipes are downturned, your new one is straight. In the last picture, is that the bumper on top of the pipe? I know you shouln't be worried about melting the bumper, the exhaust gasses are much cooler than gassers. Do you think you will have to clean the bumper more often from soot collecting there?
Osiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 1999, 10:08   #6
SkyPup

I could have gotten the "hidden" downturned endpipe but opted for the visible straight through design. It does not rub or hit anything and yes the temp is indeed mild. So far no soot visible, never have had a soot problem before and will keep an eye on it for now. If I ever want to change it over to something else, it would be a very simple thing to do. Actually, removing the muffler entirely and replacing with a straight pipe is a definite option.
Old October 11th, 1999, 10:52   #7
Peter Cheuk
Gasser :P

Skypup, now I'm envious as hell. My A3 can't be turned up like your A4 can be (turbo boosted), and now you have your kick booty, bad A$$ Techtonics exhaust. What next, Propane injection? Your car is rad, rad, RAD!!!
Peter Cheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 1999, 18:40   #8
The Ripster
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45-50

Gee whiz, what don't you have on that machine. How much does it add to the sound, I would not mind a bit more, but have to be
able to travel and not get too much. Also
the cat is gone right??
The Ripster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 1999, 20:09   #9
Ryan Daiber

Excellent exhaust mod. After my OEM exhaust finally broke loose in my Golf td, I got a custom system made, using 2.5 diametre aluminized pipe for the cat, without the middle-box. I used a stainless backbox by Vibrant to keep the noise at a minimum, and a single stainless 4 inch turn-up pipe by DTM. The whole ass-end of the car gets sooted everytime I drive it and I love it!

Ryan
Ryan Daiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 1999, 00:00   #10
dzlfrek

SkyPup,
You mention that the TT exhaust will handle more than twice the maximum output of the turbo. Does that mean it is possible to attain 140hp and 235ft/lbs with Wett chip and turbo ajdustments?
dzlfrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 1999, 00:12   #11
TurboD

hey! Skypup. whats with the ducks, do you get them with the exhaust,and how much power will they give the tdi
TurboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 1999, 00:14   #12
SkyPup

Hmmmm, I thought that is what I previously stated, that if not more. The TT exhaust is not the limiting factor in the cfm flow through the entire engine, that is for sure. One thing a turbocharged engine hates more than anything is a restrictive exhaust system that creates more back pressure, back pressure and excess heat are evil in a turbos mind, the TT setup lays that worry to rest.
Old October 12th, 1999, 04:15   #13
SkyPup

The ducks are on the floor of the barn since I just ordered some new decoys and have not had time to put weights on them yet. They can't fly as fast as the TDI though!

My catalytic convertor is OEM stock and still on, it is the SUPER LARGE can in front of the middle cross member, the Techtonics is a true "cat-back" system, everything behind the cat is new. I would not recommend taking off the cat for any reason except full closed circuit road race, it is not a major contributor to any back pressure.

Here is the scoop from Techtonics Tuning whom I spoke with last night (phone 503-843-2700 talk to Randy Roth):

The A3 TDI's have a 50mm catalytic convertor.
The A4 TDI's have a 55mm catalytic convertor.

The A3 Jetta 2.5" cat back stainless steel unit is Part#252-450D and is $505.

They have A4 units for all A4 Golf, Jetta, and NB.

RULE #1 - Backpressure in a turbo exhaust system is evil.

RULE #2 - the best exhaust for a turbocharged TDI is the least exhaust.

For more information on the exhaust and turbo interaction, please see my post today entitled, Garrett GT15 VS VNT15.
Old October 13th, 1999, 08:40   #14
SkyPup

Techtonics Tuning is shipping me my cat-back T-304 totally stainless steel exhaust system for my 98 NB TDI mit Wett this week. I am totally impressed with their workmanship and first class quality high performance systems. Another step in keeping my TDI NB out in front of all the gas guzzlers on the road behind me!

Techtonics Tuning (phone 503-843-2700 ask for Randy Roth about TDI's).
Old October 13th, 1999, 14:17   #15
Olli
Veteran Member

SkyPup,

Please comment on how the exhaust system has affected the sound level inside the car. In particular at steady hwy cruising.

Olli
Olli is offline   Reply With Quote