RYAN P's 6 speed 02M Conversions and ALL Euro TDI Parts

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I bought from and finished the install just over a year ago - love driving it. Soooo much better than just the .681 taller 5th that I had before.

I did have an issue crop up a little over a month ago, though, when my clutch (bought the new Sachs from Ryan) started slipping. Now, sure, I have Malone Stage4, T4 injectors, VNT17, etc., but still, it should've been holding that.

Chatted with Ryan and we couldn't come up with a reason why it might be slipping. Best we could figure is that somehow the clutch disk had become contaminated. So, Ryan shipped me a new clutch disk at no charge (although my local DHL office here on Vancouver Island still felt the need to ding me $25 for some brokerage fees or whatever...argh).

Anyway, took off the transmission and turns out the output shaft seal (part 02M 311 113A, IIRC) behind the throwout bearing had blown and I had transmission oil seeping into the bell housing and onto the clutch disk. That'll do it.

THe fact that the clutch disk had oil on it and was still able to hold under everything but hard acceleration at the torque peak (1900-2200rpm), I think, is a testament to the holding power of that disk.

I post this, not to disparage Ryan - I felt he went above and beyond in being willing to provide me with a new clutch disk, no questions asked.

I do think it's worthwhile pointing out, though, that we're paying ~$2000 for a *used* 6sp. transmission, shipped two-day from Europe - not $6K (maybe $8K?) for what it would cost *new* to get all of the stuff he includes.
That said, I still think it's a fair deal and wouldn't hesitate to buy again from him (and have, in fact, picked up a couple other bits from him).

Stuff happens.
Seals blow.
That's life.
(And on the plus side, I am getting much better at taking out and putting back in a six-speed transmission! :))

Thanks for the good product and great service, Ryan.
Yup, that will do it. I too had a trans that the input shaft seal was weeping so I changed it before I installed the trans for good measure.
Ryan takes care of his customers.
Ryan, i bought a trans kit from you last year and just moved it from my first car to my 2nd. i've been trying to get replacement parts for mine like axles.

can you update the first post with what exact make and model car we should use to look up parts at the local parts place? or if a list of the OEM part numbers, that would be very helpful such as getting a replacement slave cylinder.

just an idea.
The howto in my sig has many of the part numbers you are looking for.

proffjl

TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI Auto to 6speed swap
I did the swap a few weeks ago and love it. Improved my highway mileage by almost 10 mpg.
I'm now planning on putting all new mounts on the car. What dogbone mount should I be looking for? I havent crawled under the car to look for the part number. But I can and will post back if nobody knows.

slyk

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 6spd
I did the swap a few weeks ago and love it. Improved my highway mileage by almost 10 mpg.
I'm now planning on putting all new mounts on the car. What dogbone mount should I be looking for? I havent crawled under the car to look for the part number. But I can and will post back if nobody knows.
Dogbone is no different than the one that came on your car. O1M, O2M, O2J, all the same.

m5sib

TDI
2003 Jetta & 2015 Passat
So how long does an auto to 6 speed conversion take, on average for your average garage mechanic?

Also I noticed in the write up it didn't mention anything about changing the injectors out, but in the past I've read that when you swap from auto to a manual you should swap out your injectors as well to the bigger ones that the manual has on it, is this necessary or just a nice boost in performance?

Last edited:

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Takes me 8 hours. It's the wiring that takes me the most time so figure a weekend for a first timer.
Changing the injectors is not necessary but the car will be rather lacking in 6th but certainly drivable.
Me, I like something in the .205-.216 nozzle size and a stage 2 Malone tune to round out the new trans.

m5sib

TDI
2003 Jetta & 2015 Passat
Hate to sound like a complete noob but what exactly is a stage 2 Malone tune?? Is that just reprograming the ECU?? Or are there other mods to the car?

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
To make your car work with the manual, you have to recode the the Engine soft code.
VCDS settings.
Use vag-com and turn the key on. Go to 01-Engine and change the soft coding from 0001 to 0002. Keyswitch to the off position immediately after. Clear all the fault codes, after running the engine, no faults should return.
Next for the 6 speed go to instrument and click on recode and change the last digit from a 2 to a 4 to set the proper pulse rate for the 6 speed transmission. Save and Exit and cycle the key. The purpose is to set the pulse rate properly for the speedometer and the 6 speed transmission.

Malone stage http://malonetuning.com/?page_id=62 should explain it all. I use Malone stage 2 because I have the stock turbo.

Last edited:

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
Ryan,

When I installed my Darkside exhaust manifold, was I supposed to use the thick washers from the stock ALH manifold? I didn't use them before and just noticed it when swapping everything to my new engine. I have no idea what I did with them, so if I can get away with not using them, that'll save me the trouble of buying new ones.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Its better to use them so the nuts are not sat on the weld but i'm sure you will be fine!

m5sib

TDI
2003 Jetta & 2015 Passat
To make your car work with the manual, you have to recode the the Engine soft code.
VCDS settings.
Use vag-com and turn the key on. Go to 01-Engine and change the soft coding from 0001 to 0002. Keyswitch to the off position immediately after. Clear all the fault codes, after running the engine, no faults should return.
Next for the 6 speed go to instrument and click on recode and change the last digit from a 2 to a 4 to set the proper pulse rate for the 6 speed transmission. Save and Exit and cycle the key. The purpose is to set the pulse rate properly for the speedometer and the 6 speed transmission.

Malone stage http://malonetuning.com/?page_id=62 should explain it all. I use Malone stage 2 because I have the stock turbo.
Ok yes I knew I had to change some VCDS settings for the manual, and that's all I technically need, but for extra performance I can send my ECU out and have the stage two Malone tune done, and change out the injectors. Correct?

I too have stock turbo, in fact right now my car is all stock, still have the egr valve, and haven't done any mods. All though I have been thinking about getting rid of the muffler and just have straight pipe from the cat back.

Last edited:

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
You can send your ECU to a tuner such as Malone or he can send you a reader/tuner that you can do yourself. I did his dynamic EGR tune which works great. Nozzles, I have used bosio DLC520, pp764 by DBW and Titan 520 supplied by Boraparts. RyanP also has an injector service available with a nice selection of nozzles.
http://malonetuning.com/

Dieselfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, red. 1998 Jetta, black. 2002 Golf, black. 2003 Golf, red. 1999.5 Golf, red. 2005 Golf, red.
When splicing the two transmission cooler lines together, what size pipe nipple is everybody using? Are you cutting the two hoses down? Wish there was a formed piece of hose available that would connect the two outlets that would make for a tidy install.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe it is 5/8" that I got at Napa. Just a coolant splice plastic piece. I ended up cutting one of the bends off the coolant hose to make it line up better. Works fine.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
what is the p/n of the cooler hose? might be a bypass we can source!

Dieselfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, red. 1998 Jetta, black. 2002 Golf, black. 2003 Golf, red. 1999.5 Golf, red. 2005 Golf, red.
Thanks for the info. guys. I wound up getting a coolant connecting pipe for a manual transmission car. That took care of the upper radiator hose and I plugged the other one coming from the back of the engine. At some point I might replace that pipe with a manual tranny version also.

Phill

TDI
Octavia 110 TDi
Hi Ryan,

I don't suppose you've got a good used Garrett or KKK in stock for a PD130 engine?

I've been given a Bora to knock about in but the turbo has gone. ASZ engine code.

Cheers.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Phill - You have a PM

spoolintdi

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI - 6spd swap
I just received the auto to 6spd kit, does anyone know if the car will start without doing any of the Vag-com computer changes?

thanks
Ross

Bczuk

Veteran Member
TDI
LWB Samurai - 2001 Jetta
I ordered a PD150 TIP kit last Friday and Ryan shipped it to Surrey, BC, Canada yesterday at noon his time. I had it delivered at my shop today just after lunch my time :eek:

Great product like usual, thanks again :)

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
We dont hang about!!

PM'd!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Ryan,

Do you sell an EGR "clip" adapter which will fit the 150PD TDI EGR (57mm) and reduce down to 51mm?

I'd like to ditch the factory hose with aluminum clip and just use the OEM 51mm 90 deg elbow.

thanks

Lito

PS. I finally installed, with the help of a friend, the PD150 Tubo Inlet pipe, Manifold and EGR. Everything fit like a glove! Thank you for shipping so quickly as always.

Last edited:

TrackMagicWS6

TDI
None
Is it possibly to purchase both tdi final drives for a swap to an R32? If so, how much would that cost?

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Lito, Replied via email / Phone! haha

Drop me an email, struggling for damaged boxes to steal parts from!

Thanks

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Lito, Replied via email / Phone! haha

Drop me an email, struggling for damaged boxes to steal parts from!

Thanks

Ryan, Spoke to Scott on Thursday! love his accent:eek: I ordered the EGR clip from you already and got the shipment notice!

thanks as always. I need to plan my purchases better :)

Lito

BigMig

TDI
9n3 Polo 1.9 sportline PD130 (96kw)
Ryan are you still selling south bend SMF clutch kits for the 02m box?