rear wheel bearings and new rotors

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Greetings,

I know some of you guys just re-pack your rear wheel bearings when they begin to wobble. But what do you do when you get new rotors in the rear wheels? Get new bearings? Tap out the old races from the old rotors and tap them into the new rotor? Something else?

Thanks,
Justin

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Greetings,

I know some of you guys just re-pack your rear wheel bearings when they begin to wobble. But what do you do when you get new rotors in the rear wheels? Get new bearings? Tap out the old races from the old rotors and tap them into the new rotor? Something else?

Thanks,
Justin
Bearings are cheap, replace them.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6790 using Tapatalk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
no one here has ever repacked a set of wobbly bearings, maybe some have tried but no one ever has had a case where repacking a bearing causes it to not wobble or make bad noises or remove excess play, not once, never. a chemical solution will never fix a mechanical problem.
buy a new bearing, hopefully the spindle is still good, if its not, you need a new spindle
we DO repack out bearings if the grease looks iffy or bad, or its just old AF ad your putting a new drum on with new races.

so yes, you buy a new drum, hope its not warped, drive a new race into it, regrease up the old bearing (if its in perfect shape. you can tell by cleaning them and inspecting for odd wear areas, should be uniform over each needle bearing. I often reuse bearings that are in great shape, especially if there the original OEM's
the issue is making sure your spindle nut is torques CORRECTLY with he proper sequence of weight and spinning. if you just crank down the nut, it will fail. 4 to 5 lbs on the end of a socket wrench, spinning the drum in reverse, loosening it and repeating this 3 times is the only way your going to get it right.