How to disable or unplug my alarm horn

Ralphpowell

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,green
I need to unplug or disable my alarm horn for my 2000 Jetta TDI. What is the simplest way of going about this? Are there any illustrations or videos demonstrating this? thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Squeeze the tabs on the connector and pull it off.

That won't fix your problem though. I would want to know why it is being activated (assuming you think unplugging it will fix a problem).

It is located in the cowl area near the wiper motor.

Ralphpowell

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,green
thanks oilhammer. I assume I need to remove the windshield wiper cowl vent grille....

is the alarm located on the right or left side?

Ralphpowell

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,green
please tell me what do you mean that it will not fix my problem? will this cause me other issues with the car?

the alarm seems to have a mind of it's own. It will start going off on occasion. I assume there might be moisture....but I am not sure. I don't need this crazy alarm anyways. Not worried about someone stealing or breaking into the car

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
As I suspected, you have a problem, and you just want to remove the most annoying part of the symptom. I'd try instead to find the problem and fix that instead.

The alarm is going off because [most likely] one of the six microswitches is telling the Central Convenience Module that something is being opened when the car is locked (and thus "armed").

The hood, the trunk, and the four doors. The CCM likely has a DTC stored.

Disconnecting the sounder itself will make the alarm not make any noise, but the alarm is still going off, and still going to drain the battery.

Fix the problem, not the symptom.