PD150 Benefits?

ahldailydriver02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta 5 speed, 03 Jetta Wagon 5 speed
PD150 Intake Manifold Benefits?

Wondering if anyone has put a PD150 intake manifold on there stock or mildly tuned ALH? I have a few ALH's but my daily driver currently has a Malone stage 1 tune with recent injector upgrade to the DLC 520s with stage 3 flow setting from Pete at DBW. Car runs great but was curious of the PD 150 mani would make any difference in performance or FE with this setup or even on a stock ALH?

Thanks for any data or advice

Last edited:

ahldailydriver02

Veteran Member
TDI
I am sure someone on here has done this before, right? Just wondering what their results were or if they had any complications with doing this.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Pd150 intake is a great mod, not the best but its cheep and does the job unless your over 200 to 250 hp.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Wondering if anyone has put a PD150 intake manifold on there stock or mildly tuned ALH? I have a few ALH's but my daily driver currently has a Malone stage 1 tune with recent injector upgrade to the DLC 520s with stage 3 flow setting from Pete at DBW. Car runs great but was curious of the PD 150 mani would make any difference in performance or FE with this setup or even on a stock ALH?

Thanks for any data or advice

I installed a kit from darkside, egr delete, and they have a 50mm adapter that takes the stock ALH piping. Made a big difference for me, but I'm
heavily modded from stock. Lots more air. Straightforward install.

Take a look at this:
https://malonetuning.com/store/item/brm-intake-adapter-for-alh-and-similar

The BRM manifold flows the best if you can find one.

Cheers

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I have all PD150 breathing mods on my Wagon with a stock turbo and RC3+. It's left over from when I ran a 17/22, and I didn't want to swap back to stock when I downsized the turbo and tune.

It's hard to determine what mod has done what for my car, but I can tell you that response to the accelerator pedal is better than any other TDI I've driven, and I consistently get 46-50 MPG in daily driving without trying. Maybe the breathing mods contribute to this.

ahldailydriver02

Veteran Member
TDI
I have all PD150 breathing mods on my Wagon with a stock turbo and RC3+. It's left over from when I ran a 17/22, and I didn't want to swap back to stock when I downsized the turbo and tune.

It's hard to determine what mod has done what for my car, but I can tell you that response to the accelerator pedal is better than any other TDI I've driven, and I consistently get 46-50 MPG in daily driving without trying. Maybe the breathing mods contribute to this.
Ok that is the kind of information I am looking for. So by breathing mods do you mean you have the TIP, and different pancake pipe and upper IC pipe too?
What injectors do you have? I am also running the stock turbo.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I have PD150 airbox, snorkel, MAF, airbox to turbo pipe, and intake manifold. Intercooler piping is now stock, although I have an upgraded side mount intercooler. And I have a 2.5" exhaust, which probably also helps.

Not sure the intercooler piping makes much of a difference. I've run both larger and stock, and stock seems to work fine.

ahldailydriver02

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the info. I have the option of getting the PD150 air box to turbo pipe right now and thought about about getting the airbox too but need to find one first. I have done a lot of reading on exhaust and just haven't decided if I should go with the 2.5" or just leave stock size with straight pipe which is what I currently have.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If I were setting up the car from scratch I'd stick with the stock airbox and TIP, and put on a 2" downpipe with no CAT and stock muffler. Tuning to the PD150 MAF is kind of a PITA for tuners, as the air tables have to be changed for that MAF housing. A higher volume of air moves slower, and if you don't adjust you'll be under-fueled. You also can't buy a complete MAF here, you have to get the module or harvest one from an ALH MAF. And although I think the PD150 stuff helps FE, if you can get a tune on an ASV (not ALH) base, you'll find accelerator response gets much better. And the 2" downpipe will eliminate the restrictive flex pipe that's in the stock part. That will lower EGTs more than better IC piping. Also a mandrel bent downpipe will provide a better bend coming out of the turbo as well.

Last edited:

ahldailydriver02

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for that bit of info IndigoBlue, it does help me think through this. I can see how the PD 150 TIP can slow down air flow due to the size. I think what I might do is start with just the PD150 or BRM intake and leave everything else alone. Drive for a couple of weeks and see if I can notice any difference. Then decide if I need to upgrade my dp.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Good Idea. The intake is nice. You'l have to get a race pipe made or have someone weld a pipe onto the EGR inlet to accommodate the stock IC hose. I have the EGR in place in my car even though the duty cycle is deleted because I like the anti-shudder valve.

ahldailydriver02

Veteran Member
TDI
I have access to a PD 150 with a race pipe or the BRM mani which I know I can order the adapter from Malone. I was hoping to just get some sort of improvement with FE or or performance with the intake alone even if its very minor improvement I would be happy. Just don't know exactly what it would improve. Was hoping someone would have experimented with a similar set up with results to show.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
As a general observation, air being a component of fuel, more air could potentially allow more diesel to be used. But the consensus (just from my reading) is the air supply on the stock car is more than sufficient for stock and mild tunes. That being said, why not?
A race pipe, as I understand it (which is not much), is part of total elimination of the EGR, which is good for the longevity of the motor, though it emits a bit more pollutants.

ahldailydriver02

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes I have read the same things that the stock mani provides enough air flow for stock or mildly tuned cars. I was hoping that the better distributed/even air flow across all 4 cylinders would show some sort of improvement somewhere in FE or performance. The stock mani may provide enough air flow but how the air flow is distributed could be improved with a different design/manifold.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Yes I have read the same things that the stock mani provides enough air flow for stock or mildly tuned cars. I was hoping that the better distributed/even air flow across all 4 cylinders would show some sort of improvement somewhere in FE or performance. The stock mani may provide enough air flow but how the air flow is distributed could be improved with a different design/manifold.

You got it! The airbox/filter is mostly regarded as more than sufficient for
all but the most extreme builds. Manifold flow is much improved by design.

That being said, IBW runs a bigger airbox with a PD150, and gets great
mileage.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Not to derail the thread, but I have recently been wondering about the PD150 for my BEW TDI. Does all of this apply to the BEW? Is the stock BEW intake a different design than the ALH intake? Would a PD150 intake result in improvements with a BEW, also?

ahldailydriver02

Veteran Member
TDI
You got it! The airbox/filter is mostly regarded as more than sufficient for
all but the most extreme builds. Manifold flow is much improved by design.

That being said, IBW runs a bigger airbox with a PD150, and gets great
mileage.
That is what I have been searching for. Does the improved intake/airflow net better FE and or performance. Sounds like it does, maybe not 5mpg more or 15hp more, but at least 1mpg better would even be an improvement.

IBW when you say the airbox makes the car louder, do you mean the engine noise is louder due to the increased air flow moving?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The manifold will fit on a BEW, of course you have to delete the EGR cooler just like on an ALH. The challenge is connecting to the stock IC piping. The clip connector hose is a different size on the PD150.

Although the BEW intake is a two piece design, the basic shape is the same as an ALH.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
IBW when you say the airbox makes the car louder, do you mean the engine noise is louder due to the increased air flow moving?
Yes, and it lets more engine noise out. Not a big deal, and in my opinion not enough to discourage doing it, but I've noticed it when comparing it to cars with stock airboxes. Of course my car also has increased fueling and more advanced timing, so those things make it louder, too.

ahldailydriver02

Veteran Member
TDI
That added noise wouldn't bother me, I just wanted to make sure I was understanding you correctly. I am probably going to install the PD 150 or the BRM mani in the next week or so.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
How's the double post same question working out? Did you post to My Turbo Diesel and Vortex as well? Advance features in editor may allow deletetion if you want.
Keep us posted on any changes in FE or power.

ahldailydriver02

Veteran Member
TDI
How's the double post same question working out? Did you post to My Turbo Diesel and Vortex as well? Advance features in editor may allow deletetion if you want.
Keep us posted on any changes in FE or power.
Haha funny....When I posted the first time I noticed the title didn't have "intake manifold" in it, just PD 150. I went back and tried to change the title but it wouldn't save the changes. So I re-posted with the correct title and mentioned "sorry for the new post" and explained I couldn't get the title changed. I did try the advanced features option, it changed the title internally but not on the forum main page.

I will keep everyone posted on any FE or power changes once I get it installed.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yea, with ya man. I was seriously curious, only an eentsy bit critical.
I believe the advance functions in the edit post routine allows title change, much unused feature.

ahldailydriver02

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea, with ya man. I was seriously curious, only an eentsy bit critical.
I believe the advance functions in the edit post routine allows title change, much unused feature.
LOL no worries. I actually tried to change a few times but couldn't get it to change on the main page. Then I felt like a DA because the title really didn't reflect what I was asking unless you read my post. Oh well some people on here got around to it and provided some good reading material. I hope to have something installed soon and see what happens. I didn't want to do it and find out it was a total waste of time.