MK7 - DIY thread

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I've been meaning to do the starting vibration to the Alltrack, between the two I've heard it really changes the car.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
I changed to the throttle "Direct: Controlled over Threshold Value" and not sure I feel much (any?) difference. I do have the 6MT if that makes a difference?

Is this something you feel only when stomping on it in the lower gears, or noticeable in normal conservative driving?

Didn't notice any change in taking off gently from a stop either.

Those that think this is such a great improvement can you more clearly explain what change you notice?

Maybe I have to try both settings back to back to detect the change?

neimis

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Passat TD, '01 Golf GL TDI, '15 Golf Trendline TDI
I changed to the throttle "Direct: Controlled over Threshold Value" and not sure I feel much (any?) difference. I do have the 6MT if that makes a difference?
I also have a 6MT and it worked for me

Is this something you feel only when stomping on it in the lower gears, or noticeable in normal conservative driving?
Didn't notice any change in taking off gently from a stop either.
I notice it under all conditions

Those that think this is such a great improvement can you more clearly explain what change you notice?
There is no "dead spot" in the throttle - it is just a linear response now (also feels livelier, but that could be just because the "dead spot" is removed)

Maybe I have to try both settings back to back to detect the change?
I have only the throttle response mod done, and it seems very clear and obvious to me. Maybe if the original throttle response didn't bother you, it's not noticeable to you?

Last edited:

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
Thanks for the input,

I'll change it back and try again for comparison.
It does drive predictably with the change, but the way it was before might not have bothered me.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
Thanks for the input,

I'll change it back and try again for comparison.
It does drive predictably with the change, but the way it was before might not have bothered me.
My wife didn't notice it. I can definitely feel it and I know it is there. I could also understand how it would be hard to detect for some.

It's like when I upgraded my stereo and the bass is cleaner and punchier. Some people couldn't tell the difference but I could and I notice it everytime.

Last edited:

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
For people that dont push the accelorator to 40-75% alot might not notice the dead spot. If you stay below 40% pedal or roll into it very slowly ud never notice it. I roll into the throttle fast and i notice the dead spot daily. Cant wait to get VCDS to make this change to see if it helps.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I notice that before the coding the DSG seemed very laggy to down shift (multiple reporters claimed turbo lag), kept pressing kept pressing (30-50%) then finally a down shift. Now it feels like I don't need to go much beyond 20% to get the same response and you only need to be at 20% for a fraction of the time to get the same response. My Mk5 felt like my Mk7 is now.

Kinda make sense as previously it was "gradual over time", it incorporated delay or lag into throttle response.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Kinda like a Pedal Commander does. Takes the math out and gives the driver control. Ya i keep comparing my MK7 to my old MK5. My BRM usta **** and git. The only gittin the CRUA does is gittin groceries. Will be ordering VCDS ASAP to make this mod. Plus i got the 40k DSG service coming up.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Thanks for the throttle tweak. I'll try it out after the snow stops.

There's also a popular VCDS tweak on GTIs and Rs for reducing something called "starting vibration reduction", but I doubt that applies to a low-power car like a TDI (dodges tomatoes :p): Enter ABS controller, select adaptions, select "starting vibration reduction" from the drop-down menu, change the value from Strong to Deactivated. Thread here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21888
On the TDI there are only:
Normal, Strong, and Maximum choices

I did change the throttle response and noticed a bit better response around town.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I'm fully deactivated via VCDS. I'm DSG.

Note, I also follow the GolfMk7 forum, as I own a GTI as well (it's manual), and it's the same experience there. Some people don't have the "Deactivate" option available. I don't know why. It's not a VCDS software or cable version issue, as some folks with OBDeleven have the same issue.

Smokinram

TDI
None Yet...
Wow, this throttle response mod is great - it's really changed the way I feel about the car. I might even not chip it after this.
The throttle response on these cars is really wacky, and very frustrating to live with. The first 1/2 inch of travel is fine, but the next 1/2 inch does nothing. Then, after that, it kicks in again. I absolutely hated that.
Today on the Mk7 forum I was introduced to a throttle mod http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2491&highlight=throttle&page=68 (post 1155) that addresses this situation. I've only taken the car for a short test drive so far, but it seems to have tremendously improved the response - it is much more linear now.
Throttle Response Mod:
Open VCDS / Select / 44 - Steering Assist / Security Access / 19249 / Do It / OK / Adaptation / Channel (drop down menu) / Driving Profile Switchover / New Value (drop down menu) / Direct: Controlled over Threshold Value (original was Gradual, controlled by Time) / Do It / Yes / OK / Go Back / close, go back etc.
It would be great to know how this works for anyone else.
Hello, on my 2015 Jetta TDI, when I type in the Security Code 19249, it won't let me in. Is this mod not available on my 2015 EA288 car?
Thanks,
Andy

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Hello, on my 2015 Jetta TDI, when I type in the Security Code 19249, it won't let me in. Is this mod not available on my 2015 EA288 car?
Andy, I believe the Jetta not being on the MQB platform would mean different security access codes. Maybe a search on Rosstech's site could provide more info?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Smokinram

TDI
None Yet...
I believe the Jetta not being on the MQB platform would mean different security access codes. Maybe a search on Rosstech's site could provide more info?
Thank You for the reply. That is what I was afraid of. I've searched high and low all over the place and can't find the code. The search continues...

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also the ABS controller of a Mk6 jetta may not be the same as the MQB based ones of the TDI and TSI Golfs. You may be SOL.

I still need to steel the wife's car for a day and verify if I can change the setting on her Passat.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe the TDIs have different bleeder valves where the diaphragm is not removable. It looks different on the inside in comparison to what is shown in the writeups. I couldn't figure it out without attempting to break it. You could drill it out larger pretty easily though.

I spent a little money and got the ECS bleed block that uses a speed bleeder. It took so little time to bleed that thing compared to before! I also changed to a different clutch at the same time, so cannot really compare the feel accurately.

The delay valve IMO needs to go if you're thinking of upgrading the clutch or if you're tuned. There were a handful of times when driving spiritedly that I would have my foot off the clutch pedal from a quick engagement, yet the revs would not come down immediately as if the disc was slipping while the pressure plate was being "delayed" from full engagement.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
I believe the TDIs have different bleeder valves where the diaphragm is not removable. It looks different on the inside in comparison to what is shown in the writeups. I couldn't figure it out without attempting to break it. You could drill it out larger pretty easily though.

I spent a little money and got the ECS bleed block that uses a speed bleeder. It took so little time to bleed that thing compared to before! I also changed to a different clutch at the same time, so cannot really compare the feel accurately.

The delay valve IMO needs to go if you're thinking of upgrading the clutch or if you're tuned. There were a handful of times when driving spiritedly that I would have my foot off the clutch pedal from a quick engagement, yet the revs would not come down immediately as if the disc was slipping while the pressure plate was being "delayed" from full engagement.

can you post some pics of the OEM bleeder valve just to compare to the one in the HOW TO for the GTI.

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
Thank You for the reply. That is what I was afraid of. I've searched high and low all over the place and can't find the code. The search continues...
Thanks,
Did the search ever return an answer / solution?

hooville

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, 2016 GTI, 2015 TDI Sportwagen S
MK7 VCDS Security Codes

I wish I could remember where I found this so I could give them credit for compiling this list!

[FONT=&quot]Control Module[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Security Code[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Contributor[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Comments[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]01 -Engine[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]27971[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]02-Auto Trans[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2b-Steer. Col. Lock[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]20103[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]03- ABS Brakes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]25004

10505[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]zloybob

zloybob and
acr2001 (RT forum)

Morde[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Brake booster adaptation only

DV52 comment:
40168 & 20103 - often quoted for 03, but hasn't worked for me
28183 & 44595 - also hasn't work [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3C-Lane Change[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]05 - ACC/Start Auth.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]20103[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]08-Auto HVAC[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]09-Cent. Elect.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]31347[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]10-Park/Steer Assist[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]71679
20103[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]13- Auto Dist. Reg (ACC)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]14117[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Morde[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]15-Airbags[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]16-Steering wheel[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]17-Instruments[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]20103
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]25327[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot].
Zloybob[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Not applicable to MY16 models
Accepted on MY16, but no access to adaptation channels[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]19-CAN Gateway[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]20103[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]32-Differential Locks[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]42-Door Elect, Driver[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]20103[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]44-Steering Assist[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]19249[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]52-Door Elect, Pass.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]20103[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]55-Headlight Range[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]20103[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5F-Information Electr.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]20103[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A5-Frt Sens. Drv. Assist[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]20103[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A9-Struct. Borne Sound[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]6D[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12345[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Morde[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]75-Telematics[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]20103[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Chillout[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]??[/FONT]

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
On the TDI there are only:
Normal, Strong, and Maximum choices

I did change the throttle response and noticed a bit better response around town.

I had a local diesel shop change the throttle setting and change the vibration reduction from “Strong” to “Normal”.... I’m going to try that out for the weekend. The throttle is smoother and more predictable, and it seems like there’s a little less torque lag. Want to see how happy I am with that before flashing the ECU. I was able to drive Kerma’s MK7 development car with 6MT and the tune and a larger turbo. That was fun!

Mine is DSG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I had a local diesel shop change the throttle setting and change the vibration reduction from “Strong” to “Normal”.... I’m going to try that out for the weekend. The throttle is smoother and more predictable, and it seems like there’s a little less torque lag. Want to see how happy I am with that before flashing the ECU. I was able to drive Kerma’s MK7 development car with 6MT and the tune and a larger turbo. That was fun!

Mine is DSG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice, I'm up the road in Frisco. Have always wanted to stop by their place.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
2014 JSW is not a Mk7, but rather, a completely different platform.
I don't even know that this mod would work on it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Right in the title: MK7 - DIY thread. Easy to make an error though. We all do it sometimes. Just like posting to long dead threads.