2001 Jetta Crayon Odor

SpaceWrangler

TDI
2005 A4 Jetta GLS - BEW - 09A - Stock
pfredricks,

I sent you a private message. I am looking for something other than the Mr. Gasket 11027 G-Sport Titan-Lite Sound Dampening Material and asking for a couple of other tips. I don't think they make the Titan-Lite anymore.

Thanks.

SpaceWrangler

TDI
2005 A4 Jetta GLS - BEW - 09A - Stock
I am on about hour 6 of the pfredericks recommended removal procdure. I am just about ready to put the carpet, seats and trim back in.

Before I do, I am wondering for those of you that have done this, if you removed the radio to get back to the soundproofing material behind the dash.

I have removed as much of the stuff I could behind the dash and on the firewall by pulling, by cutting, etc., but it's tough getting back there in that confined space.

If you have any tips for removing stuff back there, please let me know.

Past_VNE

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS 5-spd, '12 JSW 6M
And here I sit, disappointed that my new '12 JSW doesn't smell like my '01 did (and occasionally still does.) Can you guys send me your underlayment? I'll hide it in my cargo hatch areas to get that wonderful crayon scent.

No, really. I am disappointed. Laugh all you want. :)

sean240z

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS
First post, great site.
I just purchased an '01 Jetta with 4-speed auto trans and am in the midst of removing the cartpet underlay and sound insulation (hate the strong crayon smell). I'm having trouble removing the auto trans selector and am looking for some advice.
According to this thread and the Service Manual, to remove auto trans selector, push down on metal locking collar to release (done), then push button and pull off selector. I've pushed the button and pulled on the selector with quite a bit of force but it won't budge. I don't want to break the selector so I was wondering if there was a trick to removing the selector? How much force should I need to apply to pull off the selector?
I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks.
Sean
2001 Jetta TDI
1973 Datsun 240Z

spliftopher

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
So I finally gave my tdi a crayonectomy about 2 weeks ago, and it was one of the better things i have done with the car recently. Got rid of the wax smell, which was pretty strong, and the car is soooo much more quiet inside (from road noise). All the trim pieces got a good cleaning, fixed things that needed it, took the carpet to the carwash and gave it a thorough wash and vacuum, and found almost $10 in change in places not normally accessible (like under the carpet!).
As happy as I am about the smell being gone, I have also really been happy with the sound deadening replacement part of the procedure, and so far, the sound deadening material I used is working really well. I took pfredericks advice and got 2 - 12 sqft rolls of dynaliner (1/4"). I also bought a 50 sqft roll of fatmat rattletrap extreme (80mil) and put it on the entire floorboard, under dash areas and under the back seats. I put the fatmat down first, applying double layers over the wheel well areas and under the feet, then the dynaliner went down on top of that in roughly the same areas where the original underlaymant was. I think the fatmat really made a huge difference in sound, although it had a slight tar-like smell for a couple of days, but it is now gone. Bought all 3 rolls from amazon for approx $175. Worth it. Even makes the little sub I have in the trunk sound better (along with the rest of the stereo sound).
Just wanted to chime in as i have wanted to do this for a long time. Thanks to all those that contributed here - peace!

Last edited:

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
Just picked up some leather seats for my 02 Jetta this weekend. I'm in the process of cleaning the leather and trim pieces now. I removed the rear seats, and passenger seats to prep for the leather seat install. I don't have the crayon smell as such, but a damp musty/moldy/wet dog smell in the car. My question is that since I virtually have the car opened up interior wise, what all should I replace to get rid of the smell? I do have a new carpet to install which I plan on pressure washing/deodorizing, but wasn't sure what to do on the sound deadening material. Any thoughts on the most cost effective solutions? Thanks!

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
Thinking of using some 1" memory foam for the sound absorbent material under the carpeting. Looks fairly cheap too.

pdreyfuss

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta
where from now?

OK, so I removed ALL of the sound deadener material behind the dash - i.e. upper and lower pieces. This required removing the heater a/c box, lowering the steering column, etc. - quite a lot of work. The smell seems "almost" gone to me, but my wife who admittedly is very sensitive smells it significantly and even complains of a scratchy throat after being in the car only a half hour. I thought it would air out over the hot Texas summer, but apparently not. Everything like rugs and mats are off the floor since I stopped putting it back together when she started compaining about it. Might there be another source?

What about the black rust-proofing that the metal floor is covered with? Someone said in old thread it might be that. Maybe I need to break off a piece and see if it smells.

Last edited:

lekolite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL
Dredging this back up...

What about the sound deadening outside the fire wall? The stuff in the engine bay seems to be the same backing with foil on it to reflect heat.

pdreyfuss

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta
Outside the cabin, but who knows. I definitely will have to get to a piece of that outside firewall insulation to smell it. Thanks.

mangopuppy

TDI
2004 Jetta
When I get a few days off in a row, I'll be performing the Pfredricks method. I cannot stand this crayon BS. I hate air fresheners, but I bought a few of them (coconut) to try and mask it. It doesn't work! The smell came right back, or bled right through the crayola.
Who knows what kind of toxic crap Mexico put in there. Benzene anyone?

pdreyfuss

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta
Who knows what kind of toxic crap Mexico put in there. Benzene anyone?
Hope the job goes smoothly, mangopuppy. My 2000 didn't smell at all; my 2001 was horrendous. Now it's tolerable for me, but my wife still complains about it. At least it doesn't get on my clothes anymore, though. Does still seem to cause some throat distress for her now.

Last edited:

mangopuppy

TDI
2004 Jetta
Now it's tolerable for me, but my wife still complains about it.QUOTE]

You and me both! I mean, what the heck kind of stuff did they use, that it would still reek after 9 years!!!!! I've got $25 worth of can-o-scent in it, and it barely touches the stink. I feel like I'm in an episode of Seinfeld! :confused:

Garage Guy

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5spd
Thanks to pfredricks for the solution to this problem.

We bought a 2002 Jetta GLS TDI a month ago (black, gray cloth interior, hecho en Mexico) and noticed the crayon smell right away. It affects different people differently; the previous owner had the car for 10 years and it wasn't an issue for him, but it's obnoxious and nauseating and headache-inducing for my wife and me. We found this thread and decided to do the under-carpet soundproofing mat removal project.

I wanted to get all of it out, which is hard, no matter how you do it. When the car's interior is built, this is the first thing that goes in; everything else is on top of it. The soundproofing mat is basically in 3 pieces. The rearmost piece is under the carpet under the front seats and it is easy to remove after you remove the seats and the center console and the carpet:

The middle piece is in the driver and front passenger footwell, and is also pretty easy to remove:

The third piece is up against the firewall, behind the dash, and this is the hard part. This picture shows just a fraction of it. It extends up to the glareshield and across to the passenger side door:

The "right" way to do it is completely dismantle the dash and remove everything from the firewall to get to the mat. Instead, I used a needlenose visegrip and tore it out, one bite at a time. The whole project took a full weekend from start to finish.

I replaced the stinking mat with RAAMmat http://www.raamaudio.com/categories/Mat-and-Foam-Products/ (37.5 sq ft was plenty). Maybe a little bit noisier than before, but it was never a particularly quiet car.

Also cleaned the carpet with baking soda, vinegar, and a little hydrogen peroxide. The bottom layer of the carpet itself is somewhat absorbent and had been sitting right on the soundproofing mat for 10 years. Even getting rid of the mat and cleaning the carpet, a little residual crayon smell remains. But only a little. Much, much better than before.

Thanks again pfredricks.

--GG

Last edited:

Crankous

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GL 5speed w/Panzer FMJ, 2005 B5.5 passat auto, 2000 Golf 4 door 5 speed
And here I sit, disappointed that my new '12 JSW doesn't smell like my '01 did (and occasionally still does.) Can you guys send me your underlayment? I'll hide it in my cargo hatch areas to get that wonderful crayon scent.

No, really. I am disappointed. Laugh all you want. :)
I'm with this guy :) I really like the crayon smell. I know I'm the exception to the rule tho :)

caseyfriday

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf GLS TDI
I'm with this guy :) I really like the crayon smell. I know I'm the exception to the rule tho :)
I like it too. However, now I know where the smell comes from!

I do still want to Dynamat the doors to try and quiet down our 06 NB TDI. Hopefully it makes a good difference.

pdreyfuss

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta
A4 Jetta with or without odor

I wrecked my Jetta. Not my fault, but I think I need a serious defensive driving class!

I want to get another TDI, and I "obviously" don't want the crayon odor. I'm debating whether to get another A4 of the vintage that has the crayon problem but doesn't smell itself if I can find one, or a later style that is known not to have it. Does anyone have any ideas besides just smelling the cars how to avoid getting one that smells?

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Garage kept cars should be better. My guess is the heat from the Texas sun helps break down the stuff and get it smelling. Our white TDI had a strong odor, mine doesn't hardly smell at all.

Crankous

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GL 5speed w/Panzer FMJ, 2005 B5.5 passat auto, 2000 Golf 4 door 5 speed
I wrecked my Jetta. Not my fault, but I think I need a serious defensive driving class!

I want to get another TDI, and I "obviously" don't want the crayon odor. I'm debating whether to get another A4 of the vintage that has the crayon problem but doesn't smell itself if I can find one, or a later style that is known not to have it. Does anyone have any ideas besides just smelling the cars how to avoid getting one that smells?
I believe the ones from germany dont smell.....of the ones I have seen the ones from mexico reek like crayons and the ones from germany dont even have the slightest hint of crayon.

Anyone have one made in germany that smells??

LVPAJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW, 2015, (RIP)
Thanks to pfredricks for the solution to this problem.

We bought a 2002 Jetta GLS TDI a month ago (black, gray cloth interior, hecho en Mexico) and noticed the crayon smell right away. It affects different people differently; the previous owner had the car for 10 years and it wasn't an issue for him, but it's obnoxious and nauseating and headache-inducing for my wife and me. We found this thread and decided to do the under-carpet soundproofing mat removal project.

I wanted to get all of it out, which is hard, no matter how you do it. When the car's interior is built, this is the first thing that goes in; everything else is on top of it. The soundproofing mat is basically in 3 pieces. The rearmost piece is under the carpet under the front seats and it is easy to remove after you remove the seats and the center console and the carpet:

The middle piece is in the driver and front passenger footwell, and is also pretty easy to remove:

The third piece is up against the firewall, behind the dash, and this is the hard part. This picture shows just a fraction of it. It extends up to the glareshield and across to the passenger side door:

The "right" way to do it is completely dismantle the dash and remove everything from the firewall to get to the mat. Instead, I used a needlenose visegrip and tore it out, one bite at a time. The whole project took a full weekend from start to finish.

I replaced the stinking mat with RAAMmat http://www.raamaudio.com/categories/Mat-and-Foam-Products/ (37.5 sq ft was plenty). Maybe a little bit noisier than before, but it was never a particularly quiet car.

Also cleaned the carpet with baking soda, vinegar, and a little hydrogen peroxide. The bottom layer of the carpet itself is somewhat absorbent and had been sitting right on the soundproofing mat for 10 years. Even getting rid of the mat and cleaning the carpet, a little residual crayon smell remains. But only a little. Much, much better than before.

Thanks again pfredricks.

--GG
I'm about to attempt this because while I have gotten used to the smell, the other folks who ride in my car have not. I want to make sure that I understand what's being removed here. This appears to be a carpet underlayment/pad. Is this what everyone has been referring to as the "deadener?" I've ordered some dynamat which is a stick down product. Just trying to make sure there isn't a "deadener" under the this fibrous underlayment/pad. In the trunk there appears to be some stick down product from the OEM. Thanks!

pdreyfuss

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta
2 pieces on the firewall

I'm about to attempt this because while I have gotten used to the smell, the other folks who ride in my car have not. I want to make sure that I understand what's being removed here. This appears to be a carpet underlayment/pad. Is this what everyone has been referring to as the "deadener?" I've ordered some dynamat which is a stick down product. Just trying to make sure there isn't a "deadener" under the this fibrous underlayment/pad. In the trunk there appears to be some stick down product from the OEM. Thanks!
I did it once myself and had a mechanic do it for me afterward on another car, definitely a big job. There are several pieces - two (I think it's two) under the carpet where back-seat passengers' feet go, one under the carpet where front-seat passenger's and driver's feet go. They probably go under the seats, too. The two that cause the most trouble are an upper and lower piece against the firewall / behind the dash. Those on the firewall probably stink worst also because I think it's heat-activated. I don't see how pfredricks took them out with a needlenose; I did it by removing everything. There is quite a bit more to remove after the dash comes out!

LVPAJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW, 2015, (RIP)
pdreyfuss - Thanks! I'm going to put down a mat product similar to what Garage Guy put down. Then I'm going to put down a pad product over the top. The thicker it is (basically) the better it will work from what I've been reading. Is the crayon padding that comes out about 1/4" thick, or would you say it's closer to 1/2" thick? I'd like to put down a similar thickness to avoid bunching after the carpet goes back in.

GtiKyle

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
Wow... funny how i stumbled on this thread. I just bought a 2003 Jetta over the weekend. The first comment my wife made was "it smells like crayons in here". Now i know we're not crazy. I might be attempting this.

Thanks for the writeup.

Shouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GL - 185k
Put a dead fish in the back seat for a week, you'll never be concerned about the crayon smell again. :D

pdreyfuss

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta
Thickness

pdreyfuss - Thanks! I'm going to put down a mat product similar to what Garage Guy put down. Then I'm going to put down a pad product over the top. The thicker it is (basically) the better it will work from what I've been reading. Is the crayon padding that comes out about 1/4" thick, or would you say it's closer to 1/2" thick? I'd like to put down a similar thickness to avoid bunching after the carpet goes back in.
I used 1/4" Dynamat Dynaliner. I still have the old reeking pieces in a bag; they are 1/2" thick. Don't ask why I chose 1/4, worked OK, though. It was fairly difficult cutting and fitting with all the hills and valleys along with obstructions like the steering column. Some make it sound easy; was not for me.

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
Whoa. The winter Jetta I just bought has a distinct smell inside it. I attributed it to the previous owner being a bit of a slob, and that the car spent a lot of time at dirt tracks - his kid raced motocross.

The jetta is a 2003 TDI. From what I've read, the 2001s had the issue... but now I read a few posts back that a couple with an 03 had the same smell?

Is the crayon smell REALLY on 2001s, or other years too? (not too keen on reading 9 years of posts on this thread - I did that on the ARP head studs LOL)

pdreyfuss

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta
smell not limited unfortunately

Whoa. The winter Jetta I just bought has a distinct smell inside it. I attributed it to the previous owner being a bit of a slob, and that the car spent a lot of time at dirt tracks - his kid raced motocross.

The jetta is a 2003 TDI. From what I've read, the 2001s had the issue... but now I read a few posts back that a couple with an 03 had the same smell?

Is the crayon smell REALLY on 2001s, or other years too? (not too keen on reading 9 years of posts on this thread - I did that on the ARP head studs LOL)
I think the 03s may have it, and think when the body style changed around 05 that it went away. My 2000 did not have it, and my 2001 did. I recently bought a 99.5 thinking it was clear, but was mistaken and had a mechanic do the crayonectomy for me.