Front Wheel Hubs

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic Sedan
Are these the correct wheel hubs for the front of a 2002 Jetta TDI?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Definitely not. Our hubs are not bolt in.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I am thinking these are for an Audi or Passat. Anyone have a link to decently priced front hubs for the MK4?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Judging by the assembly in the pics, you are hunting the knuckle, bearing and hub. Best bet for the $$ is a scrap yard, aka a You Pull It. for a TDI you are looking for either 2.0 gasser or TDI bits. The 1.8T and VR6 are set up for different( larger ) brakes.

In order to get a car back on the road quickly, re-bearing the assembly. That is further easier if you go and get a new hub( say from IDParts ), along with a bearing. If you need the knuckle too...back to the scrap yards. You will probably find having a strut replacement tool that spreads the knuckle helpful.

Search up bearing replacement vids on u-tube, or with google to find posts here; a member here, Scurvy has written a very good set of instructional posts...google will turn them up.
cheers,
Douglas

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
The issue I am having is that the cv axle will not come off from the right side and I am trying to figure out if I can get away with taking the hub off and replacing it.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
The issue I am having is that the cv axle will not come off from the right side and I am trying to figure out if I can get away with taking the hub off and replacing it.

Have you removed the ball joint bolts? If yes you can get a puller that you attach using a couple of the lug bolts and then put the center on the cv axle, it will come out.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
Have you removed the ball joint bolts? If yes you can get a puller that you attach using a couple of the lug bolts and then put the center on the cv axle, it will come out.
The bolts will not budge. Tried oil and heat.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
The right side of my 04 was stuck decently as well. I was able to push it out with a mini-sledge and a punch. This did separate the 2 halves of the wheel bearing though so be prepared.

A large slide hammer attached to the face of the hub might do it - but you are not going to be simply replacing the hub. The bearing race will come out with the hub - you will be doing a full wheel bearing replacement.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual

I've seen that situation and you will most likely will have to bust the axle off the knuckle with a mini sledge and replace the end of the axle with something like this part.

Buying a whole knuckle as mentioned in a previous post is going to save you a LOT of time than replacing just the bearing. I did the bearing only and won't do it again. If you don't have the bearing puller/installer or access to a press that's going to cost you more money on top of the bearing anyway.