Fueling problem for Newby

Lex1517

TDI
2011 Touareg Executive
Just bought a 2011 Touareg TDI Executive and my very first Diesel. When I try to fuel up, the machine pumps for a gallon or two, then quits. It does this over and over again. Last fill up took me a half hour. Is there some trick or something I'm doing wrong when trying to fill up the car? This has happened each time I try filling. As an elderly female I know nothing about cars so hope you can help me. I love this car and this is the only problem I have. Any suggestions you may have with my fueling problem would be greatly appreciated.

KG4BHR

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6M
Sounds like a vent may be clogged somewhere between the tank and the filler neck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Don't use the truckers pump. On a regular diesel pump, use the lowest setting. If there is still an issue, I would suspect some foreign object in the filler tube. My first TDI, '99 Jetta, lost the little flap near the top of the filler tube, but it never caused a problem. If your little flap is gone it may be trapped in a bad spot. Maybe just push it down into the tank with something like a plumbers snake (clean).

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If the Touareg is like the other cars the fuel nozzle restriction is probably causing the problem. It is possible to remove this whole thing on the other cars and I suspect on yours as well. But it will be up to you to insure you don't put gas in it by mistake as VW will probably void your warranty if you do for removing it.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Look for the pumps that have "Auto Diesel" - these work much better for our cars rather than the large "Truck" pumps.

Other than that - what the other guys said about possible obstructions.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
I've got the same problem on a Jetta, and it has nothing to do with the restrictor at the top of the neck since I've pulled that, and the problem has not changed.

There is something in the bottom of the fill tube causing the restriction that acts like a weighted gate, it only opens under certain conditions which is really annoying. I don't know yet what it looks like b/c I haven't gotten to take mine apart yet BUT on this road trip I have noticed that I have actually "lost" about 4 gallons of capacity b/c of this problem.

I cannot completely fill the tank b/c it stops several times (usually the first time after about 3 gallons) and there will actually be wet fuel sitting in the fuel neck, then it will suddenly burp BACK TOWARD ME and spill some of that - then it all drains into the tank. This is MOST annoying and wasteful! This happens at BOTH the car pumps and the truck pumps, it is NOT a flow issue. Something is wrong with the venting or the restriction in the tank, and likely the tank will have to be dropped to check this / replace with larger diameter vent tubing.

Simenad

TDI
14 Jetta tuned
I've got the same problem on a Jetta, and it has nothing to do with the restrictor at the top of the neck since I've pulled that, and the problem has not changed.

There is something in the bottom of the fill tube causing the restriction that acts like a weighted gate, it only opens under certain conditions which is really annoying. I don't know yet what it looks like b/c I haven't gotten to take mine apart yet BUT on this road trip I have noticed that I have actually "lost" about 4 gallons of capacity b/c of this problem.

I cannot completely fill the tank b/c it stops several times (usually the first time after about 3 gallons) and there will actually be wet fuel sitting in the fuel neck, then it will suddenly burp BACK TOWARD ME and spill some of that - then it all drains into the tank. This is MOST annoying and wasteful! This happens at BOTH the car pumps and the truck pumps, it is NOT a flow issue. Something is wrong with the venting or the restriction in the tank, and likely the tank will have to be dropped to check this / replace with larger diameter vent tubing.
Having the same issue, did you ever get this fixed?