2nd gear grind when downshifting

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Hello, I have an issue on my bew jetta, when I downshift to second normally alot of the times it grinds while going in it a slight grind you cant even hear it over the radio most of the time but you can feel it in the shifter, recently changed the gear oil to liquimoly vw spec gl4, it happens more often when the engine is up to temp, also not sure if related but 1st and 2nd are quite stiff to downshift to. I can avoid the grind alot of the times if I hold the clutch in longer and push on the shifter softly until 2nd gear goes in smoothly, this has gotten worse over the course of 10 months from only happening once in a while to everyday now, tranny rebuild? Might try resetting/aligning the shifter, any other clues anyone?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Replace fluid with any brand of Syncromesh fluid. It really cures the notchiness you are describing.

In 449K miles on my 5 speed, it's by far the only thing that works well. Better than OEM, better than Royal purple, better than other synthetic fluids I have tried.

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Replace fluid with any brand of Syncromesh fluid. It really cures the notchiness you are describing.

In 449K miles on my 5 speed, it's by far the only thing that works well. Better than OEM, better than Royal purple, better than other synthetic fluids I have tried.
Does it matter if its AC delco branded one or can I use the Pennzoil? Thank you for the suggestion.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Or you could always figure that since brake parts are cheaper than transaxle parts, then downshifting isn't a really great idea.

Cheers,

PH

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Or you could always figure that since brake parts are cheaper than transaxle parts, then downshifting isn't a really great idea.
Cheers,
PH
Properly matching revs so the synchros and clutch don't have to do all the work to synch engine and transmission speeds helps significantly... there are absolutely times where a downshift is necessary and it has nothing to do with slowing the car down.

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Cheers,
PH
I dont downshift while braking to a stop ever, only when driving and having to downshift due to slowing down for whatever reason.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
You've worn out the 2nd gear synchro.
Learn to rev match the gearbox and engine.

Guessing here you've never driven a non synchro transmission.
That'll learn ya'!

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Yeah if I double clutch it goes in so smooth its amazing, going to start double clutching when downshifting everytime now, hopefully that will save me a costly repair for years to come.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I've always had poor shift habits. Everything from missing gear to lazily not pushing clutch to floor, you name it. 20 years driving a '99.5 and now the bug, never had an issue, yet to wear out a clutch.
I would think that fluid you're using would be fine, but I do know jokila generally knows what he's talking about (Post #2).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Put in the synchromesh. I will almost guarantee the grind will go away. I've had this experience with several 02J transmissions.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
I never hesitate the downshift and always do it when needed --one reason why rear brake pads on my Jetta 2010 are still the original ones after 232,000 miles-- and my transmission still shifts perfectly fine. As mentioned, matching the engine speed to the vehicle speed is very helpful when changing gears, thus allowing you the trouble free operation for many thousands miles to come.

tyrone

TDI
seatleon 1.9tdi
seat leon

change my clucth on flywheel yesturday now my steering wheel lights stays on plus my steering has gone hard 2 steer any one no wat this problem can b

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
change my clucth on flywheel yesturday now my steering wheel lights stays on plus my steering has gone hard 2 steer any one no wat this problem can b
Tyrone,
Please start your own thread if you want serious help.
And since you're in England, please use better English:)

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
A lot of talk about blipping the throttle, rev matching, and even a heel-toe reference.

It should be noted that simple rev matching (blip of the throttle with the clutch disengaged) will NOT affect the RPM differential that the synchronizer is attempting to overcome. Only double clutching will do that (clutch in, disengage gear, clutch out into neutral, THEN rev match, clutch in, engage next gear, clutch out).

Simple rev matching only makes engaging the clutch in the next gear a smooth process - the synchronizer is still doing the same amount of work.