After the Fix

Billion003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
What is the buzz on how well the TDI diesels perform after the NOX fix? I assume there is lower MPG. How about power?
I have a 2011 Golf TDI that I'll have to do something with sometime soon. Are the newer version of the Golf fixable?
Should I be considering a newer fixed version?

I'll be searching for info but when were the last 2-door versions made? And 6 speed manual?

CrazyMonkey

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE 6M
I didn't notice any lower fuel economy after the Stage 1 fix. I haven't downloaded the data from fuelly.com to really dive into it, but just looking at the graphs the site gives you, there isn't any obvious difference. Urea consumption went up a little. I never had to add any between oil changes (10k miles), just at the oil changes. After Stage 1, I was getting closer to 8,000 miles before I had to add a little urea to the tank. Not a big deal.

Stage 2 was performed last week, so it's too early to tell how that will perform on fuel economy, but it seems like with the new hardware and Stage 2 software, that it more freely revs to 4,000 rpm than it did after Stage 1. The revised window sticker (VW sent me one after the Stage 2 fix) shows the same mpg for city, highway, and combined. The only difference is there's a statement about emissions being modified and the "smog rating" changed.