98 Jetta aftermarket "banjo" remote replacement found!

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
As those of you who own a '98 Jetta are probably aware, the "banjo" remotes are NLA from the dealer and most places you look online only have used ones that look to be in questionable shape.

I found a place on eBay manufacturing a different style of remote but is meant for the same factory alarm module. They even include the original FCC ID in the ad. Cheaper than the factory remote as well ($24.95 plus shipping).

I have long since sold my '97 Jetta that had some '98 bits in it (including alarm module). I had a '98 Jetta alarm module out of a junkyard I wanted to try in my '96 Passat sedan as well. I finally tried it but it popped the S21 fuse. So, I went to a Pick n Pull today and bought 3 more (why not, they were cheap enough...). Plugged one in, and the fuse did not pop this time. I went ahead and tapped the lock signal wire that I needed to so the lock function of the door would actually respond to the remote. Then I performed the remote matching procedure just as you would do with the original banjo remote and it worked!

Here's a photo of what it looks like (with 2 of the 3 alarm modules I pulled today in the background):

Link to the remote sale page on eBay

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Nice! I think I might have to get me one of those, all my banjo remotes are looking kinda shaggy.

Steve

h2oskibum

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
I have one of those and was not impressed with the short range compared to the banjo remote, it is better than nothing though. I gave it to my son for his mk3 and it works for him and yes it will pop the trunk if you do the wiring mod to the b4.

cal327

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 b4 passat, 1999.5 golf, 1998 jetta
The range is terrible either way in my b4 so it's just as good performance wise just cheaper

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The range is terrible either way in my b4 so it's just as good performance wise just cheaper
You can add a wire to the antenna inside the module that will help to extend the range. You can run the wire up in to the roof above the headliner.

Steve