Brake Issues After New Booster Installed

iMac6

TDI
'03 Jetta GLS TDI
Hey All,

I just recently had my brake booster replaced because I was having the issue of the brake pedal suddenly (and spontaneously) being sucked to the floor with a 'whoosh' sound and the car braking very hard. Apparently this has happened to more people in this forum than it should... anyway...

My issue with the new booster in place is as follows: I noticed it first when walking back to my parked car and my brake lights were on. Getting into the car, I had to actually pop the brake up with my foot to get the light to shut off. Now, whenever I brake, it's like I have to push the pedal past a threshold to stop the car, and then pull it back up past that threshold to disenegage the brakes completely. If I forget to pull it back up, the brakes stay partially engaged and I cannot start out of 1st gear without first pulling up the pedal.

This only happens when the engine is running - it's not just a mechanical issue with the pedal.

Did I have the bad luck of getting a bad new booster, or is this another issue altogether? The shop I went to suggested I may want to replace my master cylinder because there appeared to be an old leak where the MC and booster come together. Any thoughts?

At this point I just want my brakes to work!

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Go see herm. look in the trusted mechanics list at the top of this section.

They could have botched it or the master is bad.

iMac6

TDI
'03 Jetta GLS TDI
So I feel like an idiot. Apparently the shop didn't remove the brake pedal properly and didn't seat it properly. They also didn't reset the brake light sensor properly. I took care of it and reset the sensor and seated the pedal. Problem solved. New booster works great, though! Thanks for the help, though!

vandyke

TDI
02 Jetta, golf, Jetta
what do you mean seat the pedal. I just put a new booster in my 02 jetta and have the same issue.