stereo recommendations?

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
I've always had a blaupunkt in the dash, wanted to upgrade to something with Bluetooth streaming and it seems Blaupunkt is making junk nowadays. Maybe they sold out?

I went to Best Buy and got a JVC. This thing freezes up constantly and doesn't have near the power of my old deck when I turn up the volume.

So I'm up to trying again, or should I put the Hamburg back in? I'd rather not have BT than these probs.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I've been happy with the Pioneers (single DIN in the 2001, double DIN touchscreen in the 2003 by prior owner who botched the install) with the exception of the dumb "one button/knob does it all" control on the single. But no issues other than slow initial load from memory sticks.

Dieselmonkey02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
I just put a pioneer in my car. A deh-6010bs. It’s not bad for $120, seems to work fairly well. Far, far better sound quality than the OEM deck.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I just put a pioneer in my car. A deh-6010bs. It’s not bad for $120, seems to work fairly well. Far, far better sound quality than the OEM deck.
Yes, much better sound and big improvement in power to drive the speakers. The Monsoon is a poor excuse for a $350 "premium" audio option and very little noticeable difference from a non-Monsoon system.
For not much more than $100 the Pioneer was a good upgrade. The best thing about the OEM units were they looked good.

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
Sounds like you guys have had luck and i just got a dud, maybe this is why it was on sale. i'm going to try again. i'm leaning towards a marine unit. They show higher wattage ratings.

i downloaded the software update for this unit, it still freezes. pita on a long drive since it won't work again until I cut the ignition.

KyleMillione

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta, 03 Jetta
I wouldn’t use a jvc unit. Jvc is a lower end brand when it comes to car audio. I find them to be unreliable. The only advantage to the marine unit is that it’s water resistant (might help if you have a mk4, the cup holder is terrible), internally, they’re relitavely the same.

JackD123

TDI
2005 Passat TDI wagon
I am installing a Pioneer MVH-2300NEX tomorrow, along with what I hope are the correct connections to work with my antenna and steering wheel controls. I think it will work with the Monsoon system. I am also installing a reverse camera. I will post after I do it and have a bit of time to test, to give my opinions of function and intangibles.

Slurry Pumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
After my VW touchscreen radio croaked last year, I installed a Alpine CDE-HD149BT, single din, and I couldn't be happier. It has all Bluetooth with a microphone which I didn't install. I'm old school, and I like being off the grid as far as the cell phone is concerned, so no phone action while I'm in the car for me, but the receiver will do it, and all the other things out there like SiriusXM, Pandora, ipod/phone stuff, etc...

The best thing about it is the non touchscreen. Touchscreens make you pay attention to what is being displayed, which is not a thing I like to do when I'm weaving through Philly traffic. I like the buttons. My biggest complaint is the lack of a multiple disk player, or even the ability to connect seamlessly to a multiple disk playing unit. I like the CDs still and the idea of creating my own mix BS with the phone is just a hassle. Gvie me a multiple disk player where I can toss in some offensive Punk Rock, and I'm good.