Tools needed for BEW turbo swap

BarefootJetta

TDI
04 Jetta MKIV
OK, I bit the bullet and bought the vnt17 from idparts. Now what tools do I need? I'm a Cummins tech so I probably have what I need but I'm in Wisconsin and the car is in Arkansas. So, I want to pack what's necessary not the whole tool box.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
For turbo removal on a BEW you’ll need to at least loosen the passanger side axle and I think you’ll need to remove it, if I remember correctly. 30mm twelve point and triple square or allen sockets

The turbo nuts are either 10 or 13 mm. You’ll need some end wrenches for the oil feed line. You better take a new oil line with you in case you ruin the old one removing it.

A light(s), extensions, I always like to have a couple of flat screwdrivers one of them good size. Inspection mirror, to see those top nuts, mighty vac, just in case.

There is an adapter hose for the vnt17 that is needed. I assume you have that?

I’m probably forgetting something.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
You can also take the turbo out the top, so you wouldn't have to loosen any axles.

Remove the ducting all the way from the airbox to the turbo. This will give you room to get at the EGR cooler so you can remove that.

Once the EGR cooler is out of the way, it's easy to get the intake manifold off. It's just six hex socket bolts (6mm I think).

With the intake manifold off, the turbo is easy to access. The exhaust manifold and turbo are one unit. The exhaust manifold is held on with with nuts on studs. You'll need a 12mm deep socket for those. There's also a bracket under the turbo that connects it to the block. I think that needs a 15mm socket or wrench.

The turbo feed and drain lines also need to be disconnected. I think the drain line took a 22mm wrench or something like that. An adjustable wrench could work too. For the feed line it's very difficult to hold the body of the fitting that the line connects to, so what may happen is you twist the nut on the line and it twists the whole fitting out and breaks the line off. Have a plan for that, like a new flexible feed line or something to install when the original hard line breaks. I think it's a 17mm wrench for the feed line nut, and the fitting it goes into needs a 15mm, but you probably can't actually fit on in there. Must be a special wrench or something for that.

The exhaust connection to the turbo is just three nuts on studs. I think they need a 13mm deep socket, or maybe it was 12mm.

Anyway, the tools you need would be a decent metric socket set with some deep sockets as well as regular ones. A set of allen keys, and/or hex key sockets, some pliers to get host clamps off. I used channel locks and they worked well enough. A set of wrenches. Being able to jack up the car and put it on jack-stands would be very helpful too.