www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Ontario

Ontario Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.

Old June 13th, 2018, 22:30   #16
Moleman76

Waking this topic up – seeking comments from those who have installed either Westfalia or Bosal hitches.
My vehicle: 2005, B5.5, Wagon, FWD.
I’ve been doing some looking – would like to add a hitch, and like the invisibility of the “euro” hitches.

I’ve found a domestic seller of the Bosal hitches: IDParts, $389 plus $20 shipping surcharge + $60 if you buy their “optional safety chain ring” to have welded on to the bottom of the swan neck.
https://www.idparts.com/bosal-swan-n...55-p-5909.html

And, PF Jones in the UK, mentioned above, sells the same (by part number) Bosal hitch, as well as Westfalia. Note that their $306.44 price includes 20% VAT, which they will take off if you ask (since it’s being shipped out of the EU), but shipping is 100 GBP, or about $133.
https://www.pfjones.co.uk/volkswagen...le-towbar.html

PF Jones also has downloadable pdfs of the installation instructions. The Bosal ones are diagrammatic pictures, clearer than Westfalia’s “remove bumper” directions. However, in the Westfalia directions, it says that one needs to install a foam insert, VW part 3B9807251A, into the bumper before re-installing. I found that part on-line here in the USA, about $40 including shipping – but the VW parts place’s listing seems to say it’s for Passat Variants up to 2001 (i.e., B5 vintage) – no mention of the B5.5 years.
IDParts says their Bosal 050-033 hitch is good for up to 1500 kg.
PF Jones says theirs (same part number) is good for up to 2000 kg.
PF Jones says their Westfalia FWD hitch is rated for up to 1800 kg, their Westfalia 4Motion hitch for 2200 kg.

Questions:
Are there really any significant differences between the hitches? Yes, the Westfalia ones look a bit nicer, but it’s all hidden under the vehicle. Even 1500 kg x 2.2 = 3300 pounds is more than my utility trailer is rated for.
There is a piece of rather-thick looking plate steel, with a decent-sized hole in it, on the Bosal unit between the mount for the wiring, and the insert point for the swan-neck hitch. Can any Bosal owners comment on use of that hole for safety chains?
And, what about the “give us $60 and weld this on” concept from IDParts? Bosal’s instructions say to only use approved accessories, Westfalia says “don’t alter our stuff in any way” -
Moleman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2018, 18:38   #17
Uberhare
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Depends on what I'm towing!

PF Jones only ships with UPS, so prepare to bend over again at this end.